Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods bead rollers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stude Prunes, May 29, 2015.

1. Stude Prunes

Stude Prunes

Who has a bead roller, what brand do you have, and how do you like it ??? This is a little after the fact 'cuz I just bought one. But, your input will be go to know! I am only talking about the "less than $250" type !!!

Thanks Guys!

2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've got an Eastwood bead roller. It's done everything I've tried so far. I'm working on 18 gauge floorpans, and it's doing fine.

3. I had a Harbour Freight one. It was ok. I found it a bit difficult to do things by myself with it (which is how I usually work) especially larger pieces. I bought a powered Mittler Bros one and there is zero comparision. I love it but there is no comparison in price either.

4. boutlaw

boutlaw

X2 on what Lucky and K13 said, hard to manage even an average piece by yourself, but Im to tight to spend the money on a Mittler powered roller, since I only use for myself, generally, but then I spend stupid money on other stuff, go figure. I guess you, and me, have basically the same priorities...If you fight it long enough and use it a lot, youll probably move up to a powered roller...

5. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I just beefed up a HF roller then bought one of there power threader and foot control !
    A power roller ! Not my idea guys stole it of u tube !,, it works great ! image.jpg

saltflats likes this.
  6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

saltflats likes this.
  7. I have a small Woodward fab 18" throat bead roller. I use it on 18 ga mostly and it works alright. At some point I'd like to stiffen up the frame and make it powered. Trying to run a nice straight bead and turning the crank is a pain in the ass to say the least.

-Chris

Sent from my flip phone.

8. I have a T.D.K. 30" throat bolts right to my T.D.K. brake.
    It works great, not powered.

9. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

For the guys using their beader with a crank handle, I found replacing the handle with an old steering wheel made it a lot easier to use.

da34guy likes this.
  10. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I have Woodward which I have only used on Aluminum. However we have done 14GA but annealed it first. Worked with no problem other it needs 2 people to operate. One guiding and one crankimg.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I mounted my Pro tool bead roller kit on to a metal door.
    I don't have a motor drive on it yet so I just use a socket and ratchet on the nut for the top roller. 20150208_151034.jpg 20150208_151034.jpg

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think saltflats has the right idea, you need a table

13. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

THAT is great, any more pics?
    I have a harbor freight one I mounted on a stand and reinforced with 2x2 square steel, works great, but a table and the cheap power feed are now next on my agenda.

14. ..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  15. I have the Woodward Fab unit as well and to me it looks exactly the same as the HF one. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison, i bet they are identical just re-badged.

-Chris

16. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I have a harbor freight one!
    About 15 years old, I adapted a motor on it with a foot pedal.
    Its a one man operation! Works for almost everything I want to do?
    I bought some other dies, this also helps.
    I did buy a louvering die, but it distorts the metal like crazy?
    Doesn't work to go for me!

17. Stude Prunes

Stude Prunes

HAMB rocks! Thank you all for your input/advise! I bought a Woodward Fab roller from Summit. So far it is still in the box. We bought a house and will be moving soon, so I am going to wait to set it up. I have gathered a few parts to convert it to a powered unit. If it works I will let you know! haha I really like the ideas of the old table saw, and the metal door. Great ideas. Thanks you guys! Much appreciated!

I also bought a JD2 tubing bender, and I will be converting that to hydraulic operation. I have most of the parts, but again, waiting until I get moved into my shop to finish that up. If I can make that work, I'll show how I did it if anyone wants to see. :)

Thanks again Guys!

18. dos zetas

dos zetas

I made a heavy stand for my Eastwood roller, and made it so the bottom roller is at the same height as my table saw and work benches. For big sheets like body parts it works good, takes two people, of course.
    Made my break stand the same height too.

19. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

eastwood here. it's ok. I'd really like to have a power one. it's hard to crank the wheel and feed it through by yourself. it does the job, though.

20. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

if you are going to do alot of metalwork, get the mittler with the industrial motor and dont look back. if its a once in a blue moon thing, the HF will do ya fine after you reinforce it and get a buddy to crank it.