Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods smallest flattest fan for sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, May 26, 2015.

1. I'm looking for the smallest flattest fan for a SBC. Any thing you fellas can direct me to? Small in diameter as well as flat on the face.not much room between my radiator and pump

2. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I had a similar issue. I picked up a 15" one over at OReilly, don't recall the brand but it was the smallest available as a mechanical fan. The frame of it is 1/8" steel, and the blades are riveted aluminum. I flattened them out some to clear my pulleys. You don't want it too flat or it won't move enough air to do any cooling.

3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If at all possible, try, try to build and fit a shroud around that fan. The guys on here who are metal magicians can make a shroud for anything, and shrouds really are necessary. I don't think your ride will be "traditionally" affected by adding one. It will help bunches.

4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big is good , but obviously in your situation will not work. Any chance of a pusher fan in front??

6. Are you running the short pump? I know you will have to change the other pulleys but it will allow you to run a wider fan.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

A pusher fan is worthless as they restrict airflow. I've heard of electric fans that have the fan motor offset but not sure who makes them.

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I needed that same thing, used this one and even trimed off about 1/2in. plus of the tips to get it a bit smaller just under 13in. D. ;http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Derale-Performance-Plain-Stainless-Flex-Fan,36820.html Its a fits anything fan with pump axle sticking out the most. This on my Thunderbird "Y",but the fan don't care if its blowing on a Chevy. Some day I may add a shroud,but for now she runs cool enough. Hope thats some help?
    DejaVu292Y.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    loudbang and Model T1 like this.
  9. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

A little more info would help. What kind of car, your Avatar Model A? If your intending to run a "tradtional" set up, then your going to have to play with thin fans. How is the water pump pulley centered on the radiator? high? low? Is there an "angle" between the engine and the radiator? Like Ricks Garage said , are you running a short pump? How good of a radiator do you have, new? after market? big enough? Are you at the end of the build trying to finish things up or up and running and sorting out drivability? It will probably go against the STRICT tradition of your car but there are really good THIN electric fans that really work well. RINALDI

10. Hooligan
    Fire us off a pic so we can see what you are up against.

When you can get to the car throw a tape on it and get me a measurement from the closest offending object to the center of the pump maybe I got something around here that will work for ya. I know I got a vintage 4 blade that isn't very big which is what we would have used when I was a kid.

11. dudley32

dudley32

I used a four blade chevy 6 fan on mine...smaller diameter...

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Flex-A- lite sells a 12" fan and a low profile fan but it only goes down to 17".

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got the twin to the fan you are probably thinking of on my truck and it won't move enough air to push a fart out of the room at an idle. Those small stainless fans with tapered blades don't move much air.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

I agree but he wanted small. The 1312 is 12 inches but not tapered.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to look for one of those myself. Mine is 13 or 14 inch and tapered and as I said does not move much air.
    My problem is like the OP's though in that I don't have much room between the fan blades and the belts/pulleys.
    [​IMG]
    Nasty engine after being a daily driver for too many years and then sitting for too long.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  16. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Nobody wants to hear this but I'll say it anyway. Try and fix the situation! Move the motor back 1/2", radiator forward 1/2" short water pump (if SBC). There is nothing more aggravating than having a car over heat, and those flex fans have come apart with disastrous results and electric fans are another problem. My friend with a non-hamb Mercury has electrics on his car and at the Muscle-poluzza this past Sunday melted the fuse and holder. It's a LOT more work to do it as close to stock as the factory meant but its worth it in the long run or when your stranded with the fan blade through your radiator.

Pat

Model T1 likes this.
  18. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

For flatness, I'd say an aftermarket flex fan from a parts house would be he thinnest.
    I didn't like how those flexed, so I found an s-10 fan and shroud from astro/safari van, nice little package.
    they all bolt up the same, it even bolted up to my Cadillac 472. make sure you don't get the reverse rotation unit, but if you do by mistake you can reverse the fan blades on the snout. also try running it without a fan clutch if you don't have room.
    Godspeed
    MrC

19. Pat,
    Another thing to watch on an electric at least around here is dirt daubers. they will build a nest over night that will stop them from turning.

It has been several years back that I repaired a radiator and gave an out of towner a stock flathead fan. He somehow managed to throw a fan blade from a stock flathead into an NOS deuce radiator. They all can come apart just some easier then others.

20. Obviously I have a short water pump.I wouldn't be asking for a flat fan if I didn't do the no brained stuff.I've had a shroud before on a different setup on the car

I simply neert the flatted smallest fan that's out there I'm already extending the horns to push the rad forward (not my favorite idea but there's no way around it) I will not move the engine back.ruin a new firewall, and everything else no thanks.

I have a pusher thought I mentioned that but I didnt.its the best fan you can get for its size.it still doesn't work.I assume its cause it blocks air.

My radiator is so close to the pump,that the smallest electric fan won't fit between.so I'm pushing the rad out.I can either run the fan behind after,or run a mech.fan.there is the question.what fan. My car is channeled. The fan will hit the lower hose if its anything bigger than 12" I think.I do not want to run a stainless type cut your hand all up just looking at it fan. I'd like to run a steel 4 blade or a plastic 6 blade

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  21. By the way porknbeaner- I should be getting chrome steelies soon!

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Have you thought about a Zip water pump set up.

23. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Delta PAG
    http://www.deltapag.com/
    Electric fans that actually work. Also the thinnest out there. Brushless motors, low amperage draw.
    Good stuff.

Mike

pat59 likes this.
  24. Cool on the chromies. Let me look I am sure I have an old steel 4 blade here. When I dig it out I'll throw a tape on it. If it will work for you its yours. ;)

25. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I got a 15" 4 blade fan from Speedway for my chevy 250. Their website says; total thickness (height) of fan is 2". It is .545" thick in the center

26. Mike vv- that is good stuff! But expensive.

Porknbeaner,let me know,I'll kick down some PayPal

Mike rose,does it work?

27. Off to the basement as we speak. They're pretty heave probably cost about 23,000 to ship it. LOL :D

model A hooligan likes this.