Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 250 6 cyl overheating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoop, May 22, 2015.

1. scoop

scoop

I've got a 250 6 cyl in my 50 chevy Low mileage.used engine,new v8 radiator,pusher electric fan it will idle at 190 all day long,get on the highway and it heats up.Flushed the cooling system several times still did it. Pulled the thermostat no help.WTF!!

2. squirrel

squirrel

First, what is "heats up"? A number..and does it keep climbing, or settle at one temp?

The pusher fan may be blocking airflow at highway speeds.

also if you could post a few pictures of the engine bay, from a few different angles, maybe we can see something obvious that you can't.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Any 250 I ever ran, I couldn't get it hot enough to make the heater work!

4. LOL none of them will make the heater work @ 60 below. :D :D

I am kind of in agreement with Squirrel on this subject.
    One question that he didn't address is this a new development or????? Also the rebuilt water pump that was installed to save money may not be pumping water just agitating it. When you open the radiator do you see a good water flow?

5. tlowe

tlowe

Timing that is retarded is a common problem with these causing overheating.
    6-10 set at idle with no vacuum line hooked up.
    plug vacuum line to a manifold port and then idle it back down.

Also check the vacuum can for proper operation.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Could be a partially plugged radiator. Had a similar problem and it turned out, mice built a nest in the top tank over the winter.

7. scoop

scoop

I got it set at 4,I was kinda wondering about that.

8. scoop

scoop

220-230+

9. pdq67

pdq67

It's not a "1-piece head" 250" engine, is it??

If so, the heads are known to crack. I had one in my old '80 C/10.

You can install a regular "3-piece head" on it if that is what you have.

pdq67

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 degees advanced or 4 degrees retarded? Late timing is a definite cause of overheating at highway speeds.
    With no thermostat the coolant could be flowing through the system too fast. Removing it all together doesn't always help the engine cool no matter what the spit and whittle club says down at the corner station. t
    Less than stellar water pump blades not moving the coolant, that could be. I don't think they ever built a straight six Chevy with a serpentine belt so that idea is out. Unless you either bought some serpentine belt kit or cobbled one together without a reverse rotation pump rotor. I've dealt with two engine swap V8 cars that had the wrong pump for the belt setup and both acted exactly like what you are seeing. Cools at an idle and overheats at road speed.

I'm wanting to think timing or a serous blockage of air through the radiator at road speed for one reason or another. My truck with the 250 in it did the exact opposite. 183 degrees down the road with a 180 stat and the temp climbed to 220+ at an idle in traffic and dropped as soon as the truck got over 25 mph.

One thing that just came to mind. Is the electric fan moving air in the right direction? Is it pushing cool air though the radiator at an idle or pulling air out through the grill at an idle? It may be moving air in the wrong direction and fighting air flow on the road.

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I agree with this. We covered the radiators with cardboard and used a 195 thermostat in tri-five Chevys. We even took the fan blades off the water pump. Have you checked the radiator in and out temperatures?

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Doesn't it lack power at 4 degrees. Is that 4 degrees with the vacuum advance disconnected?

Maybe it's running too lean. Gas these days isn't like gas in the 50s and it might need more fuel.

13. scoop

scoop

vacuum disconnected

14. partssaloon

partssaloon

Are you sure the lower hose isn't trying to collapse at higher RPM

15. scoop

scoop

Ok,checking it again.Radiator cap off,rev it up and coolant comes up out of the radiator.Blown head gasket?

16. tlowe

tlowe

Blown head gasket will continuously push it out with bubbles. Is the vacuum timing working?

17. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

OP said - "get on the highway and it heats up."
    Manifold or "ported" vacuum advance is the same once the throttle is open a tiny bit, so the contribution of Vac advance on the highway would be the same.

18. tlowe

tlowe

But if the advance is not working . then it is a bad thing and cause heating.

19. Radiator and block both have coolant? Could be air in system?

20. scoop

scoop

Looks like the advance is working.Timed it again to about 8 degrees.I'll drive it again to see what happens.

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It's putting coolant into the radiator faster than it can flow through. Plugged radiator or collapsed lower hose is what I'd look for first.