Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 Chevy Sedan Frame & Chassis Questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by brushwolf, Mar 30, 2015.

1. brushwolf

brushwolf

Recently picked up a couple rough 33 Chevs. One of them is on a 31 frame per the owner, the other has no frame. Anyone know what year frames interchange? Since the 31(?) frame on the better car looks to fit fairly well, I picked up a local frame that is supposed to be a 30 or 31. I also have a parts 40 Chev pickup that has an intact chassis and straight axle that appears to be half inch difference in width at spring mounts than the 31(?) frame.

I am trying to decide whether I am better off to use a Ford straight axle with either Chev frame since you can get updated Ford chassis parts easier and I like the look of the transverse spring arrangement. But will that handle any better than the parallel leaf Chev setup? I want to run fenders, but it looks like those would work with either axle. But can you get much for parts for the Chev setup? Does not look like a MII front or S10 swap would fit decent with fenders (though looks like a Kugel would and would lower it well too).

So, can either straight axle handle decent (Ford or Chev, 31 or 40..), or if you want good handling, maybe power steering and original fenders on lowered car, are you stuck with putting out the bucks for a Kugel type front axle? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. although you can probably make the 31 frame work, 33 is a year of it's own.
    1933 offered the master and standard car, master has 112 inch wheel base and standard has 105 inch wheelbase.
    Chev axles are the same from 1928 -1950 , king pin and spindle changes, widths and spring widths are the same. truck axles are 3 inches lower if you want to drop. after 1938? all with hydraulic brakes,
    Parts are available and reasonable . look for a later axle 46 and up as they offer bendix style brakes,
    earlier ales have huck style brakes .

3. brushwolf

brushwolf

Just the kind of info I was hoping for. Cars are at farm 140 miles away so hard to just measure differences. Chance that my 40 PU axle would give me the drop, but if going to disk brakes shouldn't matter that not bendix style and total track width not a problem? Handling though? Can you get steering arms to use Vega or similar box for cross-steering? Or switch them side for side possibly? Only see drop steering arms for Ford available. IDR any shock mounts on truck. Are they there or are there other methods to stabilize the parallel leaf setups? Anyone manage to use Chev straight axle with R&P? Thanks.

4. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Brush wolf check out my 33 Chevy build, maybe it'll help. Glad to see another chevy build

tb33anda3rd likes this.

5. Tadd442

Tadd442

I realize I'm late to the party but has anything more become of this?

6. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

7. Tadd442

Tadd442

I guess I should have specified....does anyone have drawings with full dimensions?

8. any photos of the cars?