Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spring eye shackle bolt diameter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hb32, Mar 29, 2015.

1. I thought I would be able to reuse my springs and bought NOS shackle bolts. New spring eyes are 3/4" and originals are 7/8" Is it possible to ream the eye end of the spring as I don`t think there is enough metal to trim the bushings. Just a thought before getting new ones.

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Nope, unfortunately neither of those things will be effective, the spring material is very hard and Even if you could ream it it would be weakened, and the bush outer material is quite thin. just got to get 3/4 bushes.. On that matter, I wonder if anyone sells the original style bushes in an all 3/4 set for this purpose?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Thanks and those were my thoughts as well but if you don`t ask...

4. Andy

Andy

I had bad luck with new stock shackles. The rubber gave up quickly. I went back to hot rod shackles but used bronze bushings instead of the plastic. They don't squeak and last forever.

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I went bronze bushings also. Pete and Jakes OIL FILLED shocks. Do it, you'll be glad you did.

6. alchemy

alchemy

When I was building my 32 I bought individual shackle bolts (original style) from Mac's in the correct sizes. They used to, and hopefully still will, sell the bolts in all those different sizes.

7. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

35 Ford passenger and commercial and through the war, was all 0.75 Dia. front, rears, spring ends and perches. The rear holes are 2 1/4" long and the front holes are 2". I use a hand reamer to make sure the holes are proper size before pressing in new shackle pins. Use a light coat of grease in the holes before pressing.
    Prior to 35 there was a mix of .75 and .875 Dia. and the lengths also change.