Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Electric Cold Power washer/Pressure washers to clean motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Mar 27, 2015.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Like most of you, I've always taken my greasy, grimy, dirty stuff to the local car wash to clean them. But now I'm thinking about the convenience of at-home cold water power/pressure washers. After thinking about it awhile, I think I'd rather have an electric one rather than gas powered. What are the pros and cons some of you have experienced with your own units? Looking online at Lowes, they have 40 different kinds with 40 different prices...any help/advice is mucho 'preesheetated.

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  2. Larry,I've had great success with HD easy-off oven cleaner and a garden hose,although I do have a el cheapo electric pressure washer I've never used it to clean a greasy engine. HRP

3wLarry likes this.
  3. There's something to be said for both types...

Electric Cons: The electric ones just don't have the 'beans' the gas-powered ones do, so are slower to use. They don't last as long either...
    Pros: The lack of pressure means you probably won't blow much paint off, and not having to worry about engine maintenance.

A con for both is the pressure involved will blow water past seals rather easily, so you do need to exercise care when using one, or figure on changing fluids.

They really are handy around the house (nothing cleans concrete/masonry as well as a pressure washer), so if you're going to use it more than a few times a year step up to a gas rig for longevity. I was also told by the guy that services my gas-powered washer that you don't want the Chinese and/or vertical pumps; horizontal pumps last longer.

3wLarry likes this.
  4. Larry, I vote for the hd oven cleaner and gas powered blaster. Mine is pretty powerful so I stay back a bit and avoid close blasting. Hooking it up to a hot water feed helps a lot.

clem and 3wLarry like this.

5. 117harv

117harv

With either one, much better results can be had by hooking the hose up to the house hot water heater instead of the outside hose hook up, many never think about doing that. I vote for the gas powered, they seem to have more power...and we all like that.

clem and 3wLarry like this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Gas is more powerful but the electric will work especially if you hook it up to the hot water tap.

3wLarry likes this.
  7. 69fury

69fury

X3 on hooking to the hot water heater. I'd go gas if you can swing it. -rick

3wLarry likes this.
  8. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

i have a hot pressure washer, found it on C-list for scrap price. after tinkering and throwing some more cash at it, it works. difference between hot and cold is AMAZING.

3wLarry likes this.
  9. i have a wand that both a garden hose and air hose from the compressor hook to. 100+ psi with water really gets parts clean.

3wLarry likes this.
  10. A veey good electric one will cost more that a gas powered one and just barely keep up with a cheap gas powered unit. The gas motors by far out last the pumps any way.

3wLarry likes this.
  11. I've had good luck with an electric one.

3wLarry likes this.
  12. 3spd

3spd

I have used both eletric and gas to clean engines. With the electric I let the engine soak over night with some oven cleaner then sprayed it down - it very easily stripped the block down to clean paint and even bare metal in some places. However the gas washer kicked serious ass (until one of the stamped sheet metal rockers broke). I found the electric one to be fine and did the job quite well but if you have the space - gas would be my vote. The gas washer was very loud....

3wLarry likes this.
  13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I too have used both electric and gas ones, Larry, and I really like the gas ones much better. If you get one in the 3000 to 4000 psi range, it will remove almost anything you point it at, but even a 2500 is great to have. The electrics are quieter, but are much weaker. And yes, running your hot water hose to it really helps it clean better.

Don

3wLarry likes this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've had both, gas wins hands down as the best. Pony up and get one with the interchangeable tips, you can match the spray pattern to the job- wide spray for general cleaning, pinpoint for paint removal and really hard grease. I usually use a 30 degree tip, a compromise that gives you power over a larger area. I have a Craftsman, 3500 psi I think, use it a lot cleaning my semi engine and frame. Horizontal pump is the only way to go. I had a electric one time that quit because a spring rusted out, never could find a replacement spring, customer service was terrible, didn't even have replacement parts available besides hoses and wands, throw away item I guess, use it until it breaks and buy a new one.

3wLarry likes this.