Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Road draft blockoffs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rat_TEE, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Rat_TEE

Rat_TEE

I have a '49 8BA which I have just purchased a new Offy "Super Dual" 2X2 manifold. I have read a few posts/threads here and there on this board and others. I've seen Flathead Jack's road draft/filler tube block off plugs. I understand I must also rotate the rear cam bearing a quarter turn and/or plug the fuel pump rod hole. Do I do BOTH, or one or the other? It's not real clear. Also, if I plug the draft/filler tubes and replace the fuel pump with a filler/vent tube, is a PCV system required or is it a "green option"?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A PCV valve is not required, but it does remove moisture, aerosolized acids and aromatic hydrocarbons, which degrade the oil, from the oil.

They are especially important on cars that are not driven a lot, and don't see frequent oil changes.

And yeah, it is better for the environment, too.

3. sdsmith33

sdsmith33
    from kansas

If you pull the fuel pump push rod the bushing for the push rod has a hole in it to lube the push rod. It will squirt oil with out restriction with no rod and you will have lower oil pressure in the engine if not plugged. You don't have to turn the cam bearing but it also doesn't hurt it is more important to plug the fuel pump push rod hole. The pcv also helps with front and rear main leaks by keeping a negative pressure in the engine. The road draft tube at low speeds or no speed let positive pressure build in the crankcase that can push oil past the rope seals and cause small drips or leaks.

4. Rat_TEE

Rat_TEE

thanks guys...short and sweet, real information.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I still run my road draft. I just put a k and n style filter on the end. It still breaths and doesnt spew oil vapors everywhere.

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As was said, if you plug the road draft tube, you will need a PCV valve. You need to remove crankcasr pressure and without the tube you will build up too much pressure in the crankcase, causing oil leaks up the wazoo.

7. And if you're sucking smog out of the crankcase via PCV, you need a source of fresh air to replace what you're sucking out (as in a vented filler cap or something).

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy