Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects bonded title ,or, how many hoops can you jump through?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jan 26, 2015.

1. birdman1

birdman1

I applied for a bonded title in Iowa about 4 weeks ago. i got the bond through my insurance company, $100.00 even. Not too bad. Today(the 26th Jan.) I got a call from The state DOT in Des Moines, saying I have an appointment the 27th(tomorrow) at the Council Bluffs DOT . Since there are no plates on my '39 Ford coupe, they issued a temporary permit I printed off my email so I will be legal on the 45 mile drive. I am keeping my fingers(and everything else) crossed , hoping it makes it okay. It really isn't hard to get a title in Iowa. Just wanted to let evryone know the process is not too bad. 008.JPG

2. It's different in every state,sounds like your well on your way of getting a legitimate title,keep us posted on the results. HRP

3. For those of us that don't know,
    what is a Bonded title, and why would you need one ?

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Very simply, a bonded title allows you take a pile of parts (with "receipts") and turn it into a HAMB friendly hot rod. Rules very from state to state and the BOND is purchased through a bonding agency or insurance company to make sure that if somebody shows up and says the Yogo engine you used is stolen, the owner will be compensated. The bond expires after a period of time. The price of the bond is X dollars per $1000 based on your receipts or an appraisal that you use to determine the final value. I got an $8000 bond on my avatar based on receipts and the actual cost was around $200. Again, your mileage may vary.

5. carmuts

carmuts

No problems here with bonded titles. Like the State Patrol officer told me when I asked for advice " All you need to do is satisfy the bare minimum of paperwork." Beyond that afew fees and an inspection carried out by the county Sherriffs office. The deputy that did the inspection came to my house and was done in less than 5 minutes. Rod

6. txturbo

txturbo

The Bond is an insurance policy that protects the state in case someone disputes ownership of the vehicle. You only need a bonded title if you don't have any previous paperwork that shows a paper trail. If someone comes forward before the bond expires and claims ownership, the bond amount will be paid to that person if they can provide proof that they owned it. But you get to keep the car. In Texas, you get a title issued that says its bonded. After the bond expires you can get a new title issued that doesn't say bonded.

7. I got a bonded Texas title for a 64 Falcon convert for approx $200 and took about 6 weeks; no problems,would do it again on another vehicle,worked out well.

8. txturbo

txturbo

Ive done it about 6 different times so far...I think the state should send me a thank you card or something. I've put 6 vehicles back on the road so they can collect registration, taxes and state inspection fees from them every year instead of sitting in a field.

9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

wow, that sounds too easy to be true. i opted for the jump through hoops version when i titled this 57 chevy. but thats taxachucetts for ya!

10. Pretty much the same here in Az.

11. belair

belair

I would jump through a lot of hoops for that.

12. 54MEB

54MEB

It's a great alternative if your state offers the option. In Texas all I had to do was submit a few forms, pay a $100 bond to an insurance co., make a pencil tracing of the VIN and pay the registration fee. Sometime you have to educate the person at the DMV so make sure you brush up and bring a copy of the law with you. It helps if you can remain polite even when faced with complete incompetence!

62hotcat and turboroadster like this.
  13. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I've done it bunch of times too here in Iowa , easy. I have to go to Mt Pleasant[30 miles]to get it inspected and the DOT guy is great to work with.
    Good luck .

14. raven

raven

Any Missouri bonded title experiences?
    r

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, except I've never waited weeks or months to get my title! I take it to a DMV station and walk out with a title.

16. 4woody

4woody

I got a car from a bill-of-sale state, and got a bond & title here in Ca with minimal hassle here in Ca as well.

17. Has any one done this on Wisconsin?

18. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

How about Florida I bought a truck with a bill of sale and Florida wants previous registration, although I am trying to get this it aint going as I would like it too so any alternative would possibly be necessary. So has anyone had any experience in Fla. With this process???

19. alchemy

alchemy

I did it in Iowa four years ago and the inspector came to me. No problem and gave me a signed form saying I could go pick up my title.

My brother did a truck a couple years ago and I think they came and inspected his as well. He did another truck last year and they did it all through pictures, no inspection required.

A friend did his car and they required him to trailer it to Ankeny for inspection.

I guess it's a crapshoot anymore what they will require from you.

20. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

nice looking 39. I live in Omaha & have a 40 Standard Tudor. you couldn't have asked for better weather to do this in. In mid-December I drove mine 30 miles to have the a/c hoses made up & system charged. it was 10 degrees that morning with snow forecast the next 2 days. so I hurried to have them get it done.

21. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

its around 60 today, not bad for January in Neb/Iowa

22. RCB1

RCB1

Here in Indiana it's VERY difficult to get a title. You can do it, but it's not a sure thing and not easy. I've done it before, but definitely a lot of hoop jumping.

23. Congratulations! HRP

24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, that's about as happy as I ever look anymore too. :)

Congrats.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  26. glad to hear it worked out, I spent about $600 for title work in Maryland. so your lucky! can you do the bonded title thing in Maryland?

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Happy we are bill of sale on anything over 30 years old here, no titles to have to fool with!

28. birdman1

birdman1

sure, easier, but you live in ALABAMA!!LOL

29. NORSON

NORSON

Anyone know if Oregon does bonded titles? Any other way?
    Norm