Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical leaky flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead 37, Dec 22, 2014.

1. flathead 37

flathead 37

so I got a set of high compression heads for my flatty a while ago, and threw them on and now its leaking water. so I picked up some new gaskets, and I was wondering if there is any sort of gasket sealer I should put on there?

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I always use k+w coppercoat....several coats...also if it has head bolts instead of studs put high temp tv on the threads

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, did you have the heads checked before you put them on ?

4. flathead 37

flathead 37

the heads are brand new repros

5. prpmmp

prpmmp

I remember reading on here that if you use just water for a while it will rust up the threads and stop leaking! It worked for me(I have studs) Pete

6. flat 39

flat 39

Where is it leaking? Did you put sealer (permetex #2) on the head bolts/studs?

7. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

need more info - early or late FH, where are the leaks, did you check the new heads out first - even new ones can be warped!!

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Mine leaked around the studs at first. I resealed and tourqed everything and have never had a problem since.

9. A Duece Bruce

A Duece Bruce

X2 on the coppercoat. and the new black gaskets. Make sure they line up with all the holes in the water jacket of the heads and the block. I have studs and used clear rv silicone on the threads and washers and nuts. A thin coat is pretty invisible and has kept the nuts and washers from rusting. no leaks. happy motoring