Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tracking Down Patterns 29 Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by carmuts, Oct 25, 2014.

1. carmuts

carmuts

Let me fist say I have had this in the Wanted classified here and on Forbarn for a long time and have hesitated posting anything about looking for these parts here. I am looking for body, floor and rear door wood for my 1929 Delivery Sedan.

At one point about 8 years ago shortly after I bought the delivery I located another delivery sedan owner who had bought the wood from another one after new wood for it had been made. it was in good enough condition to be used as a pattern. The car along with the wood was sold to another guy who I kept in contact with. He had a major change with his life and again sold the car along with the wood for patterns. Somewhere in all of this I lost track of the car with the wood and am now again looking for wood good enough for patterns. If any of you have hotrodded a 1929 delivery sedan that had decent original wood that you might want to sell, Please send me a message. Even a piece here or there would be useful. Right now I only have 2 pieces I might be able to use for patterns. Pic's of the wood below as that is all I have to go off of at this time. Unfortunatley nothing but some of the roof wood and the front door latch pillar wood is the same IM005275a.jpg Thanks Rod

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      282.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      196.6 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      181.9 KB
      Views:
    • f876_1.jpg
      f876_1.jpg
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. von Dyck

von Dyck

You've ended up with a lot more wood than I have. Mine was just the body shell lying in an alkaline ditch, severe corrosion on the bottom 12 or so inches. Am using a '29 Tudor body to install the Delivery panels. Will have to scratch build most of the rear door.
    Thanks for posting pictures. They'll help somewhat.

3. carmuts

carmuts

The wood in the pic's is the wood I waited on for eight years, but never got. Norm Langlious's brother bought it from Don Turley, it was then sold to Bondobilly (Billy Inman). Bondobilly sold it to someone when he moved a couple of years ago. The Delivery along with the wood seems to have vanished off of the face of the earth. Now I am starting over looking for patterns. I sent off to the Benson Research Center for one print to see how it goes making that piece before biting the bullet and getting all of the prints. I only have 3 pieces that with some guestinating I may be able to use for a pattern. Rod

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    grifcarnut likes this.
  4. carmuts

carmuts

Really appriciate the leads so far. Unfortunately none of them have panned out as most have been for the wood for the 30-31 which are much different . Keep them coming as I know this stuff exists somewhere. Thanks Rod

5. von Dyck

von Dyck

Thanks for posting the pictures - they will help a lot.

6. carmuts

carmuts

No problem, have been downloading all of the pic's that I find and have been emailed to me since I bought it in 2006. Now time to get busy on it. Several good leads for patterns. Had to make a tough choice to get funding going and will be selling my basketcase AV8 project to go abit farther. Rod

7. carmuts

carmuts

Sounds like I have definately tracked down patterns for the floor riser pieces and each side of the door structure, maybe afew more pieces. Will update later this week. Thanks Rod

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  8. carmuts

carmuts

Received a phone call from a guy in the Bronx, NY. Said a friend of his gave him my phone number at a swapmeet this last weekend and he has some, possibly all of the wood for the delivery. Interested in seeing what all is there, but the guy has no way to send me pic's. Does anyone live in the area that would be willing to take some pic's and send them to me on the HAMB? Very interested, just want to see what is there and what is not. It is new wood still in the box or boxes made several years ago. Thanks Rod

I have 5 Firestone accessory garmet hooks from the 50's to send anyone that wants to have a look for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  9. carmuts

carmuts

So far no takers in Brooklyn area to go there, take and send me pic's of the wood to me. Not sure how else to get pic's and make sure they are what he says they are. Any help although not likely is greatly apriciated. Still working on other leads also. Thanks Rod

10. carmuts

carmuts

Yesterday I confirmed I will have patterns for the floor risers and the latch and hinge pillars. I will be picking them up in a couple of weeks. These will be on loan. Still need patterns for all 7 pieces of the wood for the rear door, the 3 pieces for the quarters, driprail wood and the lower and middle corner pieces.

Never did find anyone to check out the possible pieces in Brooklyn, so am writing it off as a failed attempt that did not cost anything. Never feel comfortable without some sort of confirmation in form of pic's or other means. Likely the right decesion at this point. Thanks Rod

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  11. carmuts

carmuts

Stopped in Omaha last night while on my way home from Joliet and picked up the patterns for the rear floor risers, hinge pillar, latch pillar and the piece above the rear door opening from Don Graves. Feels good to have atleast this much in my possession for temporary use. Still need the patterns for the rear door and inside the quarter panels. But atleast progress. Will start making these pieces next week so I can return the patterns before he needs them this spring. Rod

12. Have you googled for wood for an A? I just picked up a 29 sports coupe googled and found lots of stuff.
    Do you want to make your own pieces ?

13. carmuts

carmuts

I have been in the hobbie for over 30 years and the only person who currently makes wood for the 29 deluxe delivery is JD Bernard in Brighton, Co.. I was planning on buying the kit from him when the time came. Seven years ago his price was $1700, now his price as quoted last year from him was nearly double. I understand inflation, but seems that price is way ahead of the curve. I apriciate the thought, but other than some of the top wood and the B pillar nothing is the same as what is offered by the normal vendors. Keep in mind there were less than 7300 of these made in 1929 and likely about 2500 made in early 1930 before the slightly longer 30-31 delivery sedans were intodude. The 30-31 was a completly different design in almost every respect.Rod

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  14. carmuts

carmuts

Had a chance this evening to go through the remnants of the wood that was still on mine when I bought it and the wood I got from Don Graves. What he had marked as the rear floor riser was actually the wood for the sill plate. So it looks like I will need to use the print for this piece. Seems I have enough a few pieces for the quater panel wood, but still missing the one at the beltline and the one at the rain gutters, which is actually considered roof wood. The lower and center corner blocks and door wood which the scraps I have are too incomplete to use still elude me. pic's of what I have enough for now posted below. Rod

Attached Files:

15. NORSON

NORSON

If the guy can't send you the pictures. Send him a camera. There's more ways than one to skin a cat.
    Norm

16. carmuts

carmuts

Thanks for the idea Norm, will see if I can find his phone number again. Kind of gave up on the lead after hearing some reports of a scammer in that area was targetting Fordbarn and HAMB members and took a friend for abit of money. Oferring to sell parts at what seemed like a low price and had excuses as to why he could not provide pic's. It sounded like it may be the same guy. Better to deal with a known honest person. Rod

17. carmuts

carmuts

Worked late in the shop last night and worked out how much maple to order for the known pieces. Does anyone have a rough measurement of the long piece of wood that runs from the B pillar to the wood post that runs from the fender well to the drip rail wood? and also the floor riser across the back? Thanks Rod

18. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings Carmuts! I am not very familiar with model a wood but I must wonder why you could not make your own patterns?...I assume your wanting to do a correct restoration so welding in steel tubing is off the table but couldn't you cut cardboard to meet your profile needs, if you needed 3 d patterns in places maybe use chicken wire and plaster , oh and your car looks fairly complete , wouldn't your wood work,....good luck, have fun!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. carmuts

carmuts

That would work great if it was all squared, followed every contour and no complex jointery along with edges that the upholstery sat on etc.. Easiest done with good patterns which I am slowly getting. Also ordered afew drawings from the Benson Research Center. They take alot of stitching and cleaning up to use since the are pic's (often in several pieces) of the original prints stored on microfish for 60+ year. Workable after several hours of stitching and then converting to CAD. Greatly appricate the thought.

Also add the fact my back panel, T strips and door were bent just above the beltline and I am using the wood placement as a guide to straighten them before remaking the bottom section below and beside the rear door opening as the curvature will affect where I cut and the size of the patches.Rod

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  20. carmuts

carmuts

Called the guy today and asked about sending him a camera. Said he would take two pic's of the wood in the box, but would not take any of it out. Without pic's that would show any details etc. it would be hard for me to tell if it was even the wood I was looking for. Needless to say, but will call it a deadend lead. Hoping to hear back soon from some of the HAMB ALLIANCE members who said they may have some pieces or complete wood. Rod

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  21. Southfork

Southfork

Hunting for genuine Ford Deluxe Delivery wood (for patterns) is certainly a pain, isn't it, Rod. I have just about given up the hunt for original wood patterns for my Delivery project. Maybe one of these days a lead will pay off, but it seems that the only original wood is in a Delivery body, and nobody is about to take their Delivery apart.

22. carmuts

carmuts

Definately a bigger pain than I ever thought possible. Glad I have scared up the ones I currently have but have less than half of what I need. At a cross road with making decesions as how I am going to proceed. Waiting on a fellow HAMB Alliance member to get back to me, so I can decide to make the few pieces I have the patterns for and order prints for the rest. Or buy what he has put back from a project he built and did not use the wood that was already made. The other HAMB ALIANCE member (kb cookout) contacted me 14 months ago on Fordbarn saying he had patterns. I have made several attempts to contact him and have not heard back. Guesse I expected since he contacted me he was a motivated seller and would be alittle prompter. Do all Allience Members conduct business this way? Will keep you posted how it works out. Likely can make the pieces I have for you, but since half of them are on loan I can not send them to you as I have to return them in March or earlier. Give me a call and will discuss it. Rod

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  23. carmuts

carmuts

Went and bought some nice maple this morning to start making the 14 pieces I have the patterns from. Should have the 3 prints from the Benson in Early January and then will be converting them to CAD. In the process of scheduling a slot at a reputable body man to get the rear panel and door fixed late this spring, so I am on the clock to make sure I am not holding things up and have to reschedule. Rod

24. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Back in the day I believe that Dick Royer had a kit to convert a 28-29 tudor into a sedan delivery. He is still listed in Rhode IslandDick Royer Street rods (401) 766-8591 give him a call, I think that he offered a glass door,and filler panels
    geoford41

25. carmuts

carmuts

Thanks, will give him a call and see if he has any original wood for patterns. Rod

26. carmuts

carmuts

Geoford41, I called Dick this morning and he has what I need. However he is wintering in Fla and will not be home until the middle of May. Definately a good backup plan since the other 2 people are not getting back to me. Thanks Rod

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  27. carmuts

carmuts

Any more leads? I hate to sound impatient, but I waited for eight years already for what never panned out. Now have waited 14 months for a HAMB Alliance Member who contacted me on Fordbarn saying he had some for patterns, but has not dug them out yet. Patience has gotten me nowhere. Rod

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sounds like you need to just wing it and build your own wood. unless your building a stock original , why not build your own as long as the door fits and operates thats all that matters. If you wait many more years your project will never get done

29. carmuts

carmuts

I apriciate your thoughts, but at some point this might be entered into MARC fine point judging. Also I have the original accessory package tray as shown on page 398 of the Ford Service Bulletins. Its installation depends alot on the wood behind the interior panels for a proper fit. Facts not likely pondered on this forum. Butt correctness counts on the wood for this car. Thanks Rod

30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Have you tried he Model A section on the Ford Barn?