Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My Soda Blaster is "punking" me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swizcore, Dec 21, 2014.

1. swizcore

swizcore

Hey everyone, been reading/lurking for a while and I've got an issue that has me losing my sanity with confusion.

I have the ALC F-150DM blaster with the ALC Soda conversion kit and ALC Soda media. I cannot get this thing to blast Soda no matter what I try.

I have tried from 70-95psi connected to the inlet, there is a water filter before the inlet hose in addition to the water filter on the baster itself and when I empty the tank, the Soda media is as loose and dry as it could possibly be, so I know it's not a moisture or clumping issue. I have tried every combination of throttle/media valve ratio's and still nothing. The only time I can get anything to spray is if I close the throttle valve almost completely. Then I get a few seconds of flow until the air pressure drops to zero. I have no air leaks, no moisture, plenty of pressure, dry media and no blasting.

I'm no engineer and I'm sure the ALC guys can get this setup to work but it seems like the tiny hole where the Soda is supposed to pass through is simply not allowing the Soda to drop through and into whatever air stream the throttle valve is set to(unless nearly zero psi)

Any idea what is going on?

2. What size line are you running to the blaster? You may not be running enough volume to it. Blasters use a huge amount of air.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I would contact the company and ask these questions
    and what is punking?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. How big is your compressor? HRP

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    3wLarry likes this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My cheapo HF soda blaster conversion for the sand blast tank blows soda out like crazy and continues to blow it out even as my small compressor runs out of air. No water filter either. In short, it works great. I don't know your unit, the tank is under pressure? And do you have a blowout valve that bypasses the hose and trigger? Mine does, and when you open that is blows soda straight out of the tank. You probably have your instructions but just in case you could read how the HF one operates here:

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/60000-60999/60618.pdf

7. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Hope your not blasting cars,i've heard too many''bad''reports on paint reaction down the track after using soda,insurance companys here will not guarantee work if it was Soda Blasted,good luck, Gaz!

8. swizcore

swizcore

I have a 2 stage 80 gallon 5hp Dewalt. 3/4" MaxAir lines to regulators(separate for blasting or tools), and 1/2" to blaster.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. swizcore

swizcore

After the headaches with trying to get this blaster to blow soda, I'd be happy to not use soda but all the talk of other media types warping sheet metal has me really hesitant to try any.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

When I was checking around on how to blast off the red oxide primer on a Brookville body several years ago. I also asked around about re-priming after proper clean and etch.
    PPG was most adamant in their response to not use soda blasting. Said it left a deposit that inhibited the new primer's adhesion to the body.