Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 coupe fenderless

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jhadl, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Jhadl

Jhadl
    from Ks

I have chopped 4" from front with rest of top rolled down
    About 8" of channel and rear has Been bobbed to smoothen ugly fender line, going fenderless and wanting to make a good looking fenderless 37

Thks

Attached Files:

chop job likes this.
  2. Well that's going to be a challenge...in the traditional sense. Good luck with it.

I can only think of Ridler and Minotti glass type examples and I don't care much for them.

Of course some roundy-round examples will be posted too I'm sure.

3. I think you have a great start.
    You started with a 37 but it will look like something else

4. [​IMG]

I couldn't see. Hope you don't mind. Do you have any more pictures ?

19353W and lawman like this.

5. Jhadl

Jhadl
    from Ks

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418961866.064958.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418961905.883484.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff, motorntv and CTAV8 like this.
  6. Jhadl

Jhadl
    from Ks

Planning on 7.50 rear tires has 6.00 on it

7. Jhadl

Jhadl
    from Ks

Started working on the 37 flathead tonite, I know it's not the best to build but was running a couple of years back, but when it's done it will be 37 motor and tranny and 37 frame and body, wasn't into cutting cars up but the body was so bad, it just seemed right

8. I like it. I think I'd run a full hood and 37 grille. The chop came out nice. Not many 35-40 ford coupe chop-jobs look right but this one does.

9. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

It is great, it's different, that's what's awesome about it.

10. I agree with Rocky,a hood and 37 grill would look great. HRP

need louvers ? likes this.
  11. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I need to see it when it's further along. However at this point I don't dislike it!

12. ..maybe push the front wheels ahead 2-3"...?

13. birdman1

birdman1

i wanted sooo bad to go with no fenders of hood with my 1939 Deluxe coupe. But I do not have the know-how. Yours is looking great!

14. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Generally don't like the later coupes fender less but looks good, will be interested in seeing what you do with the frontend. Like the way the chop and rear wheel well looks.

15. butch27

butch27

Damn-- I like it.

16. I think its going to look great. I love the wheels.Keep after it!!! Tim

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I am normally against this idea but I like your vision. Do a search here. There was a fellow who built one similar to yours. The front end is going to be your challenge. That will make or break the overall look. Be diligent on your choices

18. I have seen a few fenderless '37s over the years, a couple have pulled it off.

One that sticks in my mind is a more modern style of a sedan, with an indy looking front suspension. I always figured it could be pulled off with an axle just as well. It utilized the 37 snout with the front fenders actually cut down the ridge and around the original headlights.

I don't know if anyone would consider it traditional in the strictest sense but I liked it well enough and I am pretty jaded. The back is easy to pull off its the snout that becomes difficult.

Like the chop by the way no matter what you do with it you pulled the chop off real well and that is not easy on a round roofed car like a '37. :cool:

Edit damn it:
    Oh sorry are those pic of your start or someone else's car? Its just a question OK?

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, been this route a couple of times with friends doing the same with post '35 cars and trucks. Can I give the secret that will make this work?

Scoot the front axle forward! try it under the cross member using '28-'34 stuff, but it's honestly going to look best out ahead by a couple of inches. look at how the "Rolling Bones" gang does their front suspensions, and do that. By all means, use the stock grill and hood for sure!

The problem everybody runs into with these cars, is that when you take the front sheet metal off and look at it from a side profile, the front wheels are way too far back to work. they end up looking awkward and nose heavy,. Moving the front end out at least the length of the stock spring perches or better a bit more solves a lot of that.

Gotta trust me on this one!

GasserTodd and kiwijeff like this.
  20. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

^^^^ Agreed! And get a second set of rear wheels. Something wide with some pie crust cheaters for an occasional "bruiser" look. BONER!

21. Agree, you need to get the front wheels further forward to make it look best. Also like the idea to use a 37 grill and hood.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

definitely needs some giant tires out back from where I sit.

chop job likes this.
  23. You and this build wouldn't fall into the "restorers" thread. That right there is reason to get behind this one. The more I look the more I like it.

24. What's not to like? It's chopped and has no fenders:cool: It is something different and I think you are headed in the right direction.

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  25. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Currently doing a 36, sedan/Vicky

Good luck, spend a lot of time just sitting in a chair from different angles, just studying the lines.

26. Jibs

Jibs

Love it, go to the photoshop thread ask themoose to move the front wheels forward & add the hood & grille. Maybe move the back of the front tire even with the first spark plug. I agree you need larger rear tires.

27. fas 041.jpg fas 075.jpg I posted this on the other "fenderless" thread; here's a couple sketches of fenderless cars but with dirt-track themes as well...you gotta push the front axle forward a bit...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    tb33anda3rd and motorntv like this.
  28. Jhadl

Jhadl
    from Ks

Thanks for the info, it has taken a lot of sitting and visualizing, but we all got time to admire, never built anything this traditional, even though some don't think it may be, I appreciate all of the advice, when I get time will post some early pics, thks again!!!

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Rustyl........awesome sketches! Thanks for posting those.........

Ray

30. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I like what you are doing here. Look forward to seeing your progress on the project.