Register now to get rid of these ads!

History '35-'40 fenderless coupes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anteek49, Sep 23, 2013.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

Here in NZ we never had many fenderless 35-40 style hotrods. We did however have this...1940 Convertible. Bobbed fenders were around for sure and cycle guards too. The '40 pictured had 1928 Chev fear fenders (bobbed) grafted on. It was called Wild Honey and theres at least a couple threads on here about it.

[​IMG]

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Here is a fender less '35 truck complete with nail head Chrome wheels no hood ETC... about 35 years before Rudy started the trend. This was at a show in St. Louis in '64 or '65

I would go so far as to say its likely that some saw stuff like this truck racing on the dirt tracks and thought they would build something similar for the street. Be it a coupe, sedan or truck. It's really unlikely that anything built recently hasn't already been done at some time.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, EVL401 and Stogy like this.
  3. George, you always crack me up!

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pics? No? the rest is just hot air...And I'd wager I'm probably older than you think, not that THAT, OR my musclecars, OR my Ducati has any relevance whatsoever to this:rolleyes:...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Figures the Ducati owning, musclecar loving, underage asshole is the first (and I'm guessing last and only:rolleyes:) one to post period photos of one of these abortions...No thanks necessary anteek, just send me a nice Christmas card...;):p

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. These cars are had to pull off the look but I have seen a few in the past that looked pretty good. HRP

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yea, thats me, Mr. up-tight, anal, straight john....:p

8. fortynut

fortynut

Most cars mentioned, 1935 forward without fenders look like death warmed over; can you say Frankenshit? Any hot rodder worth his dual exhausts would have gone over in the bushes (remember we a lot more polite back in the day) and puked his guts, because of how butt fuckin' ugly they look. They don't call 'em 'Fat Fendered' for nothin'. Cause without fenders they loose the look. And, for the kid with forty six posts tellin' a guy with seventy five hundred more, to sit down and learn something is worth stealing for my cartoon feature on new age thinking. There was no movement to do this crap back then, and if sanity prevails doublethink posting won't dream it up as having been done to do over. Ugly is as ugly does. If you ain't got money to build something traditional hop up your moped, I hear that was going to be cool tomorrow. Metalflake it if it don't smoke.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Speaking of cartoons, I have a period-correct one from 1959 that has just been waiting for a thread like this, I'll have to find it and post it.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've seen photos of this car several times, and I actually think it works pretty well. Of course, its a hell of a long ways from the concept being peddled here, namely rusty mid thirties coupes with the fenders tossed in the trash.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm in as well. Despite my sceptism, I am interested to see what he comes up with in the way of period photos. If this really was the hot trend in Wisconsin, I want to see some pics of these things.

12. F&J

F&J

you are too much:D

I liked the heck out of your Mythbuster thread. It should be expanded at some time to cover other details IMO. Maybe a winter project..

I think that thread got some of us rethinking way more than just the highboy/channeled issue.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I thought about doing an early sixties follow-up, but the splits dont really work out as neatly. Really it should be split at 1963, with the arrival of the popularity of alloy wheels, but if you do it from 1960-1963, the sample size is too small. besides, was the shit-storm it caused really worth it? A lot of other guys have commented on how much they liked it as well, maybe???

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

14" vs 15" vs 16" wheels and headlight size would be fun...:p

15. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

16. fleetside66

fleetside66

Here's one that David E. Davis did, probably 10 years or so before he passed away, which was a recreation of a car Fangio drove in the Panamericana.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  17. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Here is an ugly one, roadster not a coupe, but I have driven it over 5,000 miles and had alot of fun with it. I have to agree that most of the time they don't look good fenderless, but there are always exceptions to the rules....

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, EVL401 and Stogy like this.
  18. Jhadl

Jhadl
    from Ks

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418996562.489919.jpg

Here's the one I'm building

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Jhadl

Jhadl
    from Ks

It's been chopped channeled and back has been rolled down to make a round fender

20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will you be running the flathead ?

21. fas 075.jpg fas 041.jpg ...I've played around with this idea, here's a couple sketches from way back..but both are variations on a dirt-track theme....you gotta push the front axle ahead a bit.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Okie Pete, A Boner and Stogy like this.
  22. JimSibley

JimSibley

So-cal tex, did you get that car from
    Marvin in San Diego a long time ago?
    If so, it looks a lot better now.

23. Phtttttt :p I want a deuce coupe with '37 Fenders on it. :rolleyes:

Sorry I just couldn't resist.:oops:

24. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

JimSibley likes this.
  25. Jhadl

Jhadl
    from Ks

Definitely running flathead, and 3 spd

26. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Jhadl I like your car....A LOT I grew up around roundy round cars, half a block away from a south jersey legend in the sixties....they were all fenderless 35-40 coupes and coaches....I have a really roachy 36 humpback I wanna build in the 60s stock car style

Stogy likes this.
  27. I realize it's not a coupe but I think fellow Hamber Barry (ratrod0) pulled off a great built this 35 several years ago. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    Okie Pete and simplestone like this.
  28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I built this '35 Plymouth coupe for a neighbor. Not my choice of tires/wheels, but the rest came out better than I thought it would.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.