Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA Heads, Cam, Intake Combo ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nosdan, Dec 18, 2014.

1. nosdan

nosdan

Sure this has been asked all around and could spend days reading... just looking for some quick feedback. I picked up this older Offy 2x2 intake and 97's combo on the cheap. I also need to change out my 8BA heads due to a water jacket leak. Also considering a mild cam to complete the build up. Goal is to keep the car street friendly with some added spunk. Already running headers and a Mason Racing Magneto @ 10 degree advance. What combinations will work best and with this intake/carb setup... stay street-able... and add good power gains.

Thanks!
    10407550_1541129069461505_4461910064436940921_n.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

An extra carb will only minimally add horsepower. Although I believe the look and sound of those engines make up for any comparison. I run dual carbs on all of mine with both 97's and 94's.
    Want horsepower? Plan to spend 7 to 10 g's.
    Aftermarket heads will also add horsepower minimally.
    On the other hand changing to a real radical cam will be the only modification that could effect a street friendly condition.

3. nosdan

nosdan

I've just read so many posts about this cam lift not working with this head...ect...ect... Just looking for a solid combination to drive and run well. Even a 15-20% gain over stock is fantastic... haha 20% = a blazing 120hp total!

Since my head is shot and already have the magneto and intake setup... just figure while it's all apart... to just complete it with a cam and nice heads.

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

I've been told the real improvement you get from aluminum heads is cooling. Now much power gains.

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Merc crank and port work will make it come to life..

6. nosdan

nosdan

Yeah, I'm not looking for crazy... but since I need heads, might as well go lighter and cooler. More concern with what heads and what cam so I don't have lift issues or too much compression... ect.

patmanta likes this.
  7. I run an Offenhauser dual carb manifold with two '94's and they work very well. With increased compression from Aluminum heads and a 3/4 race cam with headers you should expect to get 125 yo 130 hp. You will feel the difference over stock. It will look good, sound good and it will run quicker. Do it.

patmanta likes this.