Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ethanol Gas & Today's Carbs??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, Dec 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Write up from Yahoo today on my homepage news stories says that a very prestigious organization, I believe the name is National Academy of Science, or maybe institute instead of academy, had this week published research revealing that the use of 10% ethanol in gasoline wasn't so great after all.
    Seems that when you consider all aspects of the process, including the energy consumption and carbon releasing to the air while brewing the ethanol, that ethanol in gasoline contributes more to increasing air pollution when compared to straight gasoline.
    As an aside, they also said plug in only electric cars added to air pollution more than gas powered cars if the electricity used to recharge the batteries came from power generated in coal fired power plants.
    Another good reason to use as a talking point in trying to get rid of this stuff.

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best to either drive it occasionally or drain it. The Edelbrock documentation states, "there are two types of gasoline today, gasohol and gasohol." They've done what they can but if moisture gets to it and if it sits and evaporates, you've got problems.

Now, if you want to really get pissed off, think about the fact that adding ethanol was not really financially feasible when gas was $4. Now that it's $2.50, that deal is even worse. The farm lobby will never let Washington repeal the ethanol subsidies, however. We get screwed on the gas side and the food side.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Except for the left over boat gas going into the mowers I'm with you here in East Tennessee. No problem with
    cars, truck, boat, tractor or small engine equipment. I use no additives and things often sit idle for 10 -12 weeks in the
    winter months.

4. mj40's

mj40's

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I did have to clean up one bowl on a Edelbrock that sat for about 4 years but I think it was because it got water in the carb from no fuel line being attached and was on the inlet side of the carb,I ran that motor out of gas before pulling so that is my guess on why that side of the carb was a mess. The left over boat gas that did not get used in other 2 cycle motors also gets used in vehicles without catalytic convertors.

6. Larry T

Larry T

Todays gas works a LOT better in fuel injected cars than carbureted ones.
    First thing to think about is uping the jets to get the right fuel mixture with ethanol.
    The alcohol will absorb moisture from the air and after it is saturated, it will separate from the gas and settle. I'm pretty sure that's where the white powder/grit comes from when the car sits for a while.

7. Speed~On

Speed~On

Why not just buy 91 octane Ethanol Free fuel at your local gas station??? Or go to your local airport and buy airplane fuel?? Or buy VP Race gas....these options sound so much easier and less expensive than all the trouble everyone is going through. Yeah, it's a few extra dollars, but these fuels are really not that much more expensive. Also, the headache you're going to save yourself is worth the extra $5.00.

Here is a link where you can find Ethanol Free Fuel in your area:
    http://www.pure-gas.org
    or
    http://www.buyrealgas.com

I carry a list in my hot rod of all the gas stations that sell Ethanol Free fuel in my 3 state area.
    Hope this helps...

I don't run that shit in my Toro lawnmower....why would I run it in my hot rod.:confused:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm not real sure I wouldn't have to retune my spark advance curve if I dropped to non ethanol, and it's 90 octane, not 91 here.

9. smoked1

smoked1

alcohol dries up the rubber parts mostly. Ive seen harley accelerator pumps destroyed by to much carb cleaner! That stuff is bad ass!

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two stations, in the entire state, half-way between San Francisco and Los Angeles. 200-miles South of me. Three stations 200-miles North.

You won't put tire on an airport here without meeting with an armed guard.

11. Thanks for the link great site, unfortunately I live in Southern MD. and it would take me a tank of gas to reach any of the stations.

12. gimpyshotrods, I feel your pain we often refer to our state as Cal. East.

13. Larry T

Larry T

Thanks for the link, but the only station listed here quit selling ethanol free gas over a year ago.

Closest station after that is 50 miles away, if they still sell it.

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I've heard that the water reacts with the high amount of zinc used in the aluminum body.

15. Speed~On

Speed~On

It's unfortunate other states have fewer gas stations that offer ethanol free gas. I know citizens in some states have lobbied their state government to increase the availability of ethanol free fuel
    In some states Ethanol Free gas is called non-oxygenated gas.

I did a little digging, these gas stations in Maryland claim to have ethanol free gas at the pump.

Maryland Gas Stations with Ethanol Free Gas:
    http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MD

Hope these indeed have it and one is close to you!

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still a 90-mile round-trip.

17. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Around here all HyVees sell ethanol free, but you have to get the 91 octane. I don't bother.