Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects brainfreeze 1930 model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by brainfreeze, Dec 8, 2014.

1. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

hey guys, so I've had my 30 coupe for around 12 months now, finally getting the time and the space (sort of) to work on it. I work in a fly in fly out job, most aussies will know what that is but basically i fly to a remote area and work for 3-4 weeks then come home for 1 week, on a continuous cycle like this all year round. so finding the time to work on the car, along side catching up with family and friends, in my 6-7 days off is hard.

Im aiming for a chopped, channeled, y block powered hotrod.
    heres the car when i bought it and got it to a storage locker
    [​IMG]

it sat in here for a few months until a good buddy told me to bring it to his and build it in his shed, along side his 46 bedford. so moved it there and stripped it down
    [​IMG]
    set the chassis up on a frame jig i made, were going to use it for his bedford chassis after mine... I'm guess I'm the guinea pig haha
    [​IMG]

so this is sort of where its at, I'm slowly pulling the timber structure out and replacing it with steel box section. i plan on folding up my own subrails that step up for a 4" channel.

ill post more when i can!
    sam

kool 52, Denns1989, mohead1 and 4 others like this.
  2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sam,
    You are a busy man!
    The car looks good.
    Glenn

3. louisb

louisb

Looks like a nice start.

--louis

4. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

Busy isn't the start of it haha I left out the part where I traveled to nepal, hiked to everest base camp haha that was all of october haha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 80WTI

80WTI

Looks like your starting with a real good body mate, will look forward to the build . Lee

6. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

Thanks lee!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. I wanna check this out sometime, would love to see it. If you need any tips or want to look at my Roadster for ideas.. i'm not far from you. If i remember correctly i may have spoken to you at some point and i think you said you were around the Redlands area?

8. Also i already have a chassis jig for a Model A frame.. however its kind of in a shit spot to get it out and its super heavy haha. I think yours will do just fine.

9. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

yeah i think I've spoken to you a while back, got a pretty good idea how I'm gonna go about it all but yeah i could come check out your roadster as some point! looks pretty cool in your avatar.
    ill keep you posted!

28A likes this.
  10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice body and patina...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

thanks! hoping that when i soak it in citric acid it will take all the rust back to bare steel and i won't lose too much around the bottom of cab, so where the paint is faded through it will be nice clean steel, should look good with a flat clear over it... i hope

12. Par34

Par34

Enjoy the build, will be watching.

13. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

so earlier this week i went and picked up my 292 y block, needs a tidy up and a few parts but i can find all of that shit later i gotta get the chassis work underway, also will be selling the 3 spd top loader that came with it. gave it a hell of a good spray down with degreaser and blasted the crap out of it with the gerny and it started to look quite good. once i make some blanking plates for exhaust and intake ports i can really get stuck into it! also will give the offy covers a buff with scotchbrite and a dull polish... should look good! i want to find an edelbrock 3x2 intake for it also. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

today i went and picked up 6 f100 16" rims, rims that i thought were next to impossible to find, rims that every f100 wreckers within like 1000km from me said are impossible to find, rims that some f100 guys didn't even know existed. i got lucky and found all 6 that i need in one wrecking yard on 2 trucks sitting right next to each other about 150km from home haha why 6 you ask? well i need 2 for rears, and then the other 4 will be used to make a narrow pair of wheels, using the 4 outside edges to make them 4.5 inch wide. [​IMG] and yes they do have the safety bead already in them yiewwwww
    [​IMG]

so now i need to make the decision on whether to use the brand new excelsior tyres that i won on eBay a while back or buy new black wall firestones. the excelsiors are 16-600 front (28" tall) and 16-650 rear(28.5" tall), thats only a half inch difference in diameter and next to impossible to notice, whereas the firestones that i want are 16-600 (27.9" tall) and 16-750 (31.5" tall)

im aiming for it to look like dreddybears darth walter stance wise haha it has 16-600 fronts and 16-750 rears from memory

AHotRod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Cool project, body looks real nice. As far as tires, I had an old truck I had 16x650's on the front and 16x750's on the rear and thats a bigger difference than your tires. It was fenderless and I hated it. Fronts were way too big.

15. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

yeah thats what I'm thinking, if i run with the 600 and 750 firestones, the same as dreddybear then it should be a good comparison! nice and tall and skinny too

also thinking either gloss black powder coat or chrome for rims... tough one!

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Personally I like the 16x500/525 on a 4" wheel for the front but thats just me.

17. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

i wish i could run 4" wheels but here in australia most states minimum width is 5", the state I'm in is 4.5".

16-500/525 front with 16-750 rear?

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah that's what I run on my AV8 pickup with a 3" dropped model A axle. Gets the front down. A lot of guys had issues with the 16x425's being out of round a while back around the time I was buying tires. The 500/525' are almost the same overall diameter.

image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  19. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

now that i look at a blackwall 16-750's, maybe they look a little too big/baloony for a channeled coupe? they look perfect on your pickup though, but maybe a lil big for a coupe, i knew i would struggle on a wheel choice

20. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

Oh boy a 4 n 1 Fifo job that's gonna be a long build. I thought 2n2 was tough haha.
    Some good pre planning will save you some of your precious time off to get more done.
    Keep the pix coming.

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah on a channeled car the 750 might come out of the wheelhouse too much. 16x650's and 16x500/525 would probably look right. In sure someone with that combination will chime in with a pic.

22. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

over the past 2 years I've done4/1...3/1...19/9(such a rad roster) and then fifo shutdowns up to like 5 weeks long at a time haha I'm sort of back into shutdown work for the moment so i should get a heap of time off!! plus live off the last 2 years savings and do some more travelling, also have a little business opening soon with my old man, a small non ferrous foundry... so i can cast aluminium parts on the side haha

chriseakin and brEad like this.
  23. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

thats exactly what i was thinking, maybe i just buy 500/525 excelsiors for front and run with the 16-650 excelsiors i already have, then if i think they're too small once its a roller with body on... then i can buy the larger firestones

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah that would work. If I ever change the wheels/tires on my truck I would probably go 15" 40 style wheels with 650's and 500/525's to get the truck a little lower.

25. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

ah yeah that would be cool!

26. Car is looking good. Don't give up on the 16' 750'S for the rear. Try and borrow a set before you decide if you can.

27. Gonna be a great built, I can tell, keep us informed.

28. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

thanks man! hope it stands up to your expectations... haha hopefully document things that are done regularly but can't seem to find info/threads on. maybe the things i have planned that are regular mods.. I'm going to do differently haha but we'll see how it goes, its xmas time now so most shops In as will be closed so it might be pretty slow until min Jan

29. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

my problem is i have no mates building rods, i can ask on an aussie forum for maybe a trial of that size if someone has some spare but dunno, could be the old "suck it and see" method haha maybe only aussies will get that one!

30. How tall are you? Seriously, before you channel it, you should mock up a realistic seating position, steering wheel and pedals. You don't want to end up like a crippled monkey in the thing, it will take the fun out of it. Just a thought.

1927graham likes this.