Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 ford shoebox

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by markdob, Nov 24, 2014.

1. markdob

markdob

I want to change the key start ignition in my 51 shoebox to the key with push button like on a 49-50. I am running 12v on the car. has anyone done this or know how to accomplish this. Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

I guess I'd start by getting a 49-50 wiring diagram.

Shoebox

3. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

The start button on the 49 and 50 actually grounds the connection at the solenoid. You would have to change your solenoid to make it work. You can also just take one of the wires off in your ignition switch and put it on to the button. The key is much safer.

4. Nothing to it, I just don't know why you would. However,,, drop out the key switch and remove the wire from the cyl, terminal. Get a 2 wire push button and connect that wire to one terminal on the push button. Go from the other terminal back to the Batt. terminal on the key switch. Your done.
    The Wizzard

5. Yeah, it's weird, but it's one of the things I miss about my '49. I'm planning to do a push button start on my '51 too.

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I think i'll stick with the key start ignition.I am not comfortable with an idea of a button on the dash that makes stealing your car easier...

Eric H likes this.
  7. If you remove the key from the ignition the the car will be just as hard to steal. HRP

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yep,but i ment that the hot wiring would be a bit easier with the button..

9. 4rod

4rod

I changed out my push button on my 50, after setting up the new wire harness it seemed updating the solenoid withe the engine...I'm running a 1968 ford 302 out of a mustang gt 500. So keeping the ignition simple also allowed for less current restriction. My two sense. I've seen guys use the button for the horn when wiring. At least it's functional for something. I also have an HEI distrib. So I want as much current as possible. Another thing those buttons get hot if your running twelve v's. I needed to put in a reducer if I was gonna run it.

10. markdob

markdob

Is there any need to get a 49-50 key switch or use existing one

11. Not at all. In fact the 49-50 switch won't fit the 51 bezel so you can't just stick it in the 51 dash.
    The Wizzard

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

another bad thing with the pushbutton is if the car is in gear and you forget to depress the clutch pedal, it'll lunge when you hit the button.