Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When to take the first Long trip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

It just went boom and loud vibration that shook the car. I thought i blew a tire but no

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I know a guy who just drove his 1914 Stutz from Washington D.C. to Oxnard California!
    Mind you this is an open car that leaks everything and only has rear wheel brakes!
    He took a duffle bag with some clothes, a gallon of oil and a gallon of 50/50 coolant and a cell phone.
    Oh and he is 73 years old, 27 years younger than his car upload_2014-11-27_13-10-4.jpg

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Sorry to hear of your problem!
    KK

4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Laugh about it...they will wait dinner for ya. Drop it in the driveway, hop in your other ride and go. you'll have the adventure to talk about. Today is a long day. Hopefully your already on your way.....

5. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Dang if that isn't the luck! Hope they keep the left overs warm for you

6. Fender1325

Fender1325

I thought it was a blown head gasket bc it looked slightly greenish on the dipstick, but i got a decent idle, put it in reverse and rolled back, put it in gear and gave it gas and a loud clunk came from underneath me

7. Well that sucks big time. !

8. How far from Charlotte are you?

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Go, have fun... Carry a credit card and a cell phone. That's all you need.

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its still a trip you'll remember, and you're alive and well.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would suggest if you drive a car with one of those old funky automatics you keep a turbo 350 in the trunk.

12. Fender1325

Fender1325

Im in south charlotte

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

How far did you get...??? Sorry to hear of the tranny problem but you did all you could to get it ready for the trip... it's just that the tranny wasn't ready for the trip...FWIW, I'd have told you to go for it too -only way you're going to find out just how dependable it is...!!!

R-

14. Fender1325

Fender1325

Do you guys think its worth having it rebuilt, or to go with a 350/350 setup, or sell the car. I put it up for 3500 on craigslist and already got two inquiries

15. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

If you really like the car....don't sell it. You can slip a350/350 into it in no time and really have fun!

16. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Don't sell it. You'll regret it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Right now your just disgusted but you will get past that,,rebuild the transmission or do a swap for something more modern. HRP

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You need to find out what is wrong first. What if all it needs is a $15 universal joint?

It would be better and cheaper to keep the original engine and trans, and repair or replace the trans if necessary.

19. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Hang in there and find out what wrong!

20. willystruck

willystruck
    from Grove, Ok

Check it out! Might be something cheap/easy, but even if you have to get the tranny rebuilt, you'll have years of trouble free use out of it.

21. Fender1325

Fender1325

I appreciate it guys. One thing that was strange to me today - it really felt like it needed a 5th gear. I was winding out 4th for like an hour when it finally snapped. The RPM's were much higher than just riding around town 35-45mph. This was about 65mph. Is that normal for this setup?

Seems like a new crate 350 and trans would make the car much more daily driveable and reliable, and probably cheaper to maintain and repair. The caddy stuff as we all know is more rare and expensive. BUT, it would feel wrong to have a sbc sitting under the hood. I really like the original technology - the 6v, vacuum operated stuff. Its really cool. But I could maybe build something a little more powerful with a 350 - dont forget the 331 only had 160 hp brand new. This thing was working hard to maintain 65 today. Although no smoke, the oil was a good bit lower on the dipstick so I know I burned some.

I just dont know what to do. I've worked really hard on this car. I put an ad on craigslist and have already got 3 inquiries. If I got another cadillac, say a 2 door 1954 or something, it would be worth a lot more when finished compared to this model. My car also has a lot of bondo and rust. I still love it just the same.

22. You could swap something slightly more mainstream but not all the way to sbc? Another GM v8? Newer cad or something. It broke but don't let it get you down. Remember- water off a ducks back Brother. KTF (that's keep the faith in case you were unsure). Congrats on trying! It's like that first girl, so what you came on her leg. Try again.

Thaplumbr likes this.
  23. Fender1325

Fender1325

LOL thanks man

24. You will be sorry and disgusted if you cut and run. Clunking sounds like a u-joint.

Ben

25. Reading your last post, a few things stand out to me.
    1. You have inquiries, means your car is desirable
    2. Even with the flaws, it's your car and you love it
    3. You've already got history with it.
    4. Worth and value are two completely different things

Find the best way to fix it and keep having fun with it.
    350/700r4 would make it a highway star.

Remember Thanksgiving 2014 when your car broke down?
    Has a ring to it!

26. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I wouldn't bail on it if you like the car, there is no sure thing with the next vehicle either. Cars new and old break down. Shake it off, repair, rebuild, or update. Disappointing I'm sure but don't make a hasty decision.

27. " if " the trans is readily fixable and the motor is a solid runner.... consider a rear end change to one with taller gears to keep the rpms down..

A few locals have turned stock 50's runners into highway capable cruisers with simple rear end swaps (as a plus rear end swaps can be done in a weekend)

28. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't sell the car because of this issue. It is a badass looking car. I regret selling some of my old cars and really, you have to deal with 1950 stuff in a 21st century world. Take the car off Craigslist, put her away for awhile and take some time to collect your thoughts and then assess the situation. When I was going through my Desoto and the multiple frustrations I put it up for sale a couple of times and then realized when I was getting responses that I shouldn't be selling it. I am very happy I didn't. Yes, shit will happen to it and most likely at some point leave me on the side of the road. But trust me, your car is bad ass cool and they simply don't come around that often. Give her a chance!

29. Fender1325

Fender1325

GUYS GUESS WHAT!!!!! ITS A BUSTED U JOINT IN PLAIN SIGHT!!!!! SHE'S OFF CRAIGSLIST!!!!

I crawled under there and its a 2 piece drive shaft and right where the x frame meets I could see the chrome of the u joint totally busted out!

Thaplumbr and fourspeedwagon like this.
  30. Fender1325

Fender1325

Thanks for the support everyone. I needed it