Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 ford will not warm up in cold weather??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys_truck, Nov 18, 2014.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Ford used both standard and reverse rotation water pumps in the late 80's until the late 90's. Not sure which one was stock on the 91 F150, but I'd say if an older standard rotation pump fit the timing cover and it doesn't run hot, it sounds like they match. All the ones I've ever seen with the wrong pump/timing cover combination ran hot, not too cool. And I don't think the pulley size is affecting it , either. It does sound as though it's getting too much cooling from the radiator, because if the coolant was going through the engine too fast, it would run hotter because it didn't have time to cool in the radiator, and if it went through too slow, it would also get hotter because it was staying in the block too long and not going through the radiator fast enough to cool it. So, that leaves the radiator itself being too big for the application. Bigger is not always better. Like Dons rods said, I have had a vehicle or two that had too large a radiator for the engine, like using a 3-4 core designed for a big block with a 6 cyl or small V8. They were fine in warm weather, but never would reach operating temps when the air temp was 40 degrees or below. If your radiator was designed for a big old 352, it might be too much for the 302. The cardboard blocking trick will help you find this out. That is the reason many over the road diesel trucks use a winter front over the grill area, the radiators are designed to keep the big diesels cool in 100+ degree weather pulling 80,000 lbs, but are overkill in cold temps. Covering most of the radiator in winter keeps the operating temps up to where the diesels need to run, and help with the cabin heat, too.

If you can get the temp up by covering part or all the radiator, you could then check the lines and valves at the heater core, but my opinion is too large a radiator.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 352 radiator in front of a 302 in my custom 500 and thought it was running too cold but ended up being a junk new heater core.

3. Man I love that episode!

Yumm yumm eat-em-up!

I tried to start a conversation /pm with you but your privacy settings won't allow it.

4. Marv64

Marv64

Your radiator has nothing to do with this problem. The 195 thermostat is correct. The one thing no one mentioned is the anti freeze. If you have a mixture more than 50/50 you probably won't get any heat. I am talking from experience. I had a car that the radiator leaked so i filled it with pure antifreeze so if on the road and it go low i could just put water in it without fear of radiator freezing. I about froze to death for 3 days when i had to add water. Then i had heat.

5. prpmmp

prpmmp

My head hurts!!! Pete

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not as bad as if you were talking to my wife....

7. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey you must be my brother inlaw!! I married her sister!!Pete

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

What do you call it when somebody posts a question and then vanishes?

10. willys_truck

willys_truck

Hey guys , sorry for not getting back I have been at work. I am off for a few days, I am going to try some of the things suggested. I will get back with some results later, one more thing, i have a new stock replacement radiator for a 65 f100 with a 240 6, when I am driving the truck and come up to a redlight or something, the temp hand starts going up and the heat starts working. As soon as I get back up to 45mph or so the engine temp starts falling

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 56shoebox

56shoebox

One can never get to much of the Little Rascals.

I wonder if the OPer's radiator is making a weee wahhhh sound. Ain't dat right Uh Huh?

12. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I had a sbc that did the same exact thing at the same speed. Turns out I had my heater hoses reversed. Except my engine temp didn't fluctuate only the heater.

13. birdman1

birdman1

a 1919 ford truck uses a reverse rotation water pump. It uses a different timing cover to go with it. I had to open up the water passages where it meets the block to get it to flow. maybe worth a peek. also, there is a water control vale operated by a cable from the heater control. make sure the valve is opening and allowing water to flow. Both heater hoses should be hot, the inlet more so than the exit one. if only one is hot, no frinkin water flow= no heat

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It sounds like the clutch fan is working properly and isn't pulling much air through the radiator when it's cold. When your going 45, the air is being forced through the radiator and cooling everything in the engine compartment. Using some cardboard to block that flow will keep the cold air out. If it gets too warm, cut a slot across the center.

15. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Is your heater plugged up?

Bob