Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford three wire turn signal diagram?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Nov 23, 2014.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I'm updating the lights on my 29A with modern bulbs and sockets and bought some repro 687c turn signals to mount on the buckets. My problem is that I have no idea how it jives with my chieftain turn signal switch. The tail lights had one wire for brakes and one for the night running lights. These front turn signals have a black, red, and white wire. I'm reckoning one is for turn, one is for running/park, and the other? No idea. Any help appreciated!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It is probably for an external ground, which I highly recommend.

3. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Aha! But which is which? I'm assuming black is the ground?

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'd say white..

5. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I think you're right. Fiddling with search terms, I found a similar socket saying white is ground, black is running, and red is the blinker.

6. I'd read continuity through the wires to the socket. I'm assuming this socket uses a dual filament lamp, so the socket shell is ground, the other two wires are the park and turn. Check for the ground with the lamp out. If you read the resistance between ground and the two wires with the lamp installed, the lower of the two resistances will be the turn. I wouldn't get hung up on wire colors, as many aftermarket makers use non-standard color codes. Normally, black is ground on cars.

7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Seems like all the sockets and lights I have used in the last. few years white is ground

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The simplest way is to wire separate lights to function as signals or some how place a third lamp in the assembly. Like the set up on early motorcycles, where the brake lamp is independent of the signals. A simple circuit would include a power source, a flasher, a double pole, double throw toggle switch. It would be wired from power through the flasher to the switch, with one side powering the left side both front and rear, and one powering both on the right. I believe the three wire switch you have mimics this in a fancier package. The 7 wire switches include a power source from both a hot with ign on, and a feed from the brake light switch. They either power the lamp when the brakes are off or interrupt power when the brakes are on. The first option is the I have mine wired on my three cars. The only complication with this rudimentary system is if you plan to run a trailer, as the trailer will need extra lamps (or elements) also, I run the brown to running lights the green and yellow to the signals use the white for brakes and add a ground wire. I could be doing it all wrong but it works for me.