Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Roadster Body - a new approach. AKA Beetledeuce

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by english gent, Sep 30, 2014.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

EG; that looks cool too!
    Do you remember where you found it? Is there more pictures?

2. english gent

english gent
    from England

Don't know anything about it and don't remember where I found the photos, but it's cool as hell. DSC_8385-1a.jpg DSC_8386-1a.jpg DSC_83811a.jpg DSC_89911-1a.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It is an old miget motor I believe it was based off a v8 -60 , I can't remember the specifics anymore if I remember correctly the block was machined out a billet alum used a v8-60 crank and rods then the cylinders and heads from a triumph motorcycle...

It's at the speedway museum I thought it was very impressive .. Looks like jewelry to me...but it's kind of like English gents car... Put some average junk together thats not supposed to be with some ingenuity and end up with something very impressive...

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

J

Judging from the valve cover it looks like a Chevy 230-292 I-6 with webber carbs a very nice fabricated blowthrough box and a centrifugal supercharger... I could be wrong though.... I think you should go v-8 but if you go I-6 go jaguar ... Those early ones all dressed up look very offenhauser -ish

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I really likes that rod!

But to be traditional, at least it needs a hood.
    Thats an awesome mill. On the induction part, I can't See anything in those pictures that tells me If its hilborn, weber carbs or some other EFI/throttlebody set up. But the went for max power, and max look. And all out on craftmanship to!!!

http://justacarguy.blogspot.dk/2012/06/one-of-2-awesome-new-creations-i-came.html?m=1

That "triumph" V8 (4 times 650 ccm aint wrong in my book) still makes me go dizzy, from my blood going "south" fast.

I totaly agree on the I6 Jag. That would look cool, and with your talent people will go offy in a 32 deuce, and work around it a go, OMG, WTF, you did what??? Bug, jag and welder??? WTF. Awesome, and then silence!
    Please have a camera with good audio on hand!!! :D

6. ........ definitely forgot about the Jag six/Offy vein ............. b u t . . . . . . . . meanwhile ........ back at the ranch ........ ( B O D Y b u i l d ! ) :)

Reveal lines, trunk/rumble, grille, windscreen of choice.....(Austin Healy ???)......lotsa' fun still to be had !

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Some people take scrape metal back to Japan and melt it down into a corolla. So this is German metal scrapped to become and english version of an American design. I think English Gent just needed to practice with a saw and torch. Commendable effort.

jerseyboy likes this.
  8. That is the first "Horse Collar" hot rod I ever remember seeing! Sorry for the distraction. Please continue with this fantastically entertaining demonstration of determination, vision and talent! Right dandy so far! upload_2014-11-22_19-6-8.png

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Edsel grille ? Or no ?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  10. This roadster was at the LARS this year. I believe he said the engine is a Mopar midget 4 cylinder.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. ken1939

ken1939

Looking good on the build so far!

12. I recently sold a 1963 aluminum olds motor to a gent that was dropping it into an MG, he said the motor almost weighs less than the stock 4 and produces double the power. Anyway, I think he told me Rover got the engine dies etc etc when GM dropped the aluminum venture sometime in 1964 -65, so there should be a shit ton of them to choose from on the cheaper side.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I hate to correct you, but I belive that this picture says something else.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416753094.794311.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416753107.460437.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416753117.028606.jpg

I see 5 or 6 pipes. But I might be wrong also.

Ulu likes this.
  14. Yep, they're cool little engines. You are right, Buick, Olds, and Pontiac I think ?? I also think there was a test mule supercharged concept car with those too. They're neat, and that's where I fell off....into those Rover threads.....I never knew the link before then. I like different, I guess that fits. We kind of threw them out over here.....bigger was cooler on the option sheet then....and the block porosity was an issue too. Modern improved, but same....put in an A, T, or up to '40 Ford ? Makes me salivate a little.....

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The engine was konsived for Buick, I belive. But was sleved alu blocks.
    They was very conservativ in construction.
    Then they endes up in a F-85/F-88 oldsmobile. Same basic engine.
    Then it become avalible with turbo I belive.
    But they where no big hit, and was only used in a few years.

Then they was sold to Rover. Design flaws and all.
    Rover unsleved it, changed the valvetrain, for a more European driving style, and made em avalible with slush or stick.

And it was a big hit. And lived for several decades. In all sorts of cars.
    And is the engine swap of choise for most stuff.

It weights less then a cast iron four banger regartless of brand!

I belive it takes 50kg of the front axel weight on a volvo. And it handles much better, and make them really go.

344 lb (4banger) 318lb (Rover)

Often called BOP/Rover or BOR.

16. I can see in the left side shot there are more than 4 header pipes. I will stand corrected, once someone comes up with proof of what it really is.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes, I'm very curios to what it is! But I think it looks so good, and someone put alot of time in that mill.
    Despite not being the most traditional build i've seen on here.

I meant no disrespect, I value your opinion and I'm a great fan of your RPU!

I find it odd that no-one on here knows this guy.

18. SimonSez

SimonSez

19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Is there a reason why, when pushing the link, when in the app, I end up with a threat about a dreng webside?

Any other has that problem?

20. RamJet1

RamJet1

For some reason I thought it might be a diesel.
    What are the tell tale signs that it's a 292 Chevy, SimonSez?

21. SimonSez

SimonSez

Google told me :)

22. RamJet1

RamJet1

LOL, well there you go then.

23. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It must have been an MGA or a B. I assembled my MG Midget engine in the kitchen, and carried the long block outside in my arms. (1198cc)

24. deto

deto

I thought it looked like a cummins valve cover too...

25. I thought this thread was about English Gent's beetledeuce. Looks like it was hijacked.

26. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Not hijacked!
    "Hijacked" implies some malice.
    It was just taken for a friendly side excursion. :)

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Hopefully, English Gent posts an update soon so we can get this thread back on track ;)

28. english gent

english gent
    from England

Maybe it was my fault for posting photos of fancy motors, anyway, back to the action;

I made the lower decklid panel by first making two pieces in heavier gauge steel plate (about 3mm). 20130426_144354a.jpg

29. english gent

english gent
    from England

These plates follow the curve of the rear quarter. 20130429_140301a.jpg

30. english gent

english gent
    from England

These plates then formed the ends of the lower decklid panel.
    Note the holes drilled so that the panel can be bolted in initially.

20130502_131052a.jpg 20130502_142204a.jpg