Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever add up your receipts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lakesmod, Nov 19, 2014.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

So using your math the body I bought for $1,000. and sold off $500.00 worth of parts cost me how much? Bob

2. chubbie

chubbie

I have receipts for bolts washers and rattle cans zip ties as well as the high$ items. whats the point if you DON'T add them up??? I know how much each car cost me.

3. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I burn them thats evidence

4. seatex

seatex

Hell no, and I mean HELL NO! "Burn after reading", or my frivolous spending could be found out by "Der Wifenshitzen" !

5. I've kept every receipt from/for my '34. I had to add every one of them up one day so I knew how much I was going to ask for insurance coverage. I about shit when I seen the number and it's still not done. Haha.
    I always laugh when people hide receipts from their wife's. Mine knows what I spend so if I get hit by a bus she might have a half an idea how much to sell my stuff for.

6. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Yep, I kept all receipts during the build. Kept a sheet in the trunk with all the belt, filters, relays numbers etc if some thing needs replaced. All receipts is in a three ring binder for reference if needed. I did add them up once, just for fun. The car is too much fun and so reliable I drive it every where.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's like the gambler saying that he won $1000 not mentioning the $2000 he fed into the machines before he hit the "win".:)
    More times than not it goes the other way and someone buys a body or a whole project and then give up and sell it for pennies on the $ of the original investment.
    Buying a bunch of parts and selling off the unwanted parts as the was posted ( note he said he liked buying NEW parts) will almost never result in making money or even breaking even.

Most of us are not in this hobby for the money, you can be sure of that.:D

Dick Stevens likes this.
  8. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep a Microsoft Excel file on each of my and my customers cars. I keep receipts and track of expenses, hours, Part Numbers, Original Applications, and photos of each build/project. Why? Because I am an accountant by trade and a mega-nerd at heart.