Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TriPower....to modify....or not??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dimadee, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Dimadee

Dimadee

So here is my dilemma.....

I recently picked up a genuine Cadillac TriPower manifold from a 1958 Cad. The plan is to install it on my '59 390 after the engine is rebuilt.

It doesn't get too cold here in Australia, so I was planning on blocking off the heat riser, however I have had another idea. I want the engine to look like a 60's mild custom, so I thought that I could have the heat riser section machined off of the manifold. It would definitely save a little weight, and make the manifold look somewhat different.

My dilemma is that it is a genuine TriPower manifold, and there are not so many around....do I have the right to modify it?

Attached Files:

2. 327Eric

327Eric

You can do whatever you want-it is yours. Not much benefit to it though, and if you change your mind over the years, and go a different route, it will have lost much of its value. I sell and outgrow ideas all the time, and the chunk of change that comes moves me on in the next direction. My .02, for what its worth.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My '57 has a factory tripower setup. Not as rare as the Caddy setup, but I would not change it as they grow more valuable with time.
    I have a second manifold just in case.
    It yours, and as such you can do what ever you like with it.
    I would presume that in Australia they are even more rare!
    As stated above, I don't think it will look that good or add a significant wow factor to the car.
    KK

4. It's yours, you have the right to do anything you want with it, as you see fit, to suite your fancy.

Along the same train of thought-
    However keep in mind you may want to sell it one day. I had a guy throw a fit because I cleaned the casting flash off of a Pontiac tri- power manifold once. People are finicky

5. Dimadee

Dimadee

Thanks for the voice of sensibility guys....I think I will leave it....casting flash and all!

6. Dimadee

Dimadee

OK for anyone interested in an update, I had the manifold sandblasted so I could paint it. I decided to paint it the same colour as I intend to paint the motor....sort of a test run.

I first gave it a couple of coats of VHT Engine Enamel Primer, followed by 3 coats of VHT Burnt Copper. Finished it off with a couple of coats of VHT Engine Enamel Clear.

The colour looked good after the third coat, however the clear gave it an added depth which really made it pop!

I have ordered a Rochester 2G tripower setup from Dick York including a progressive linkage. Can't wait to see it all come together. :)

Attached Files:

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Now that looks great!
    Remember to get the paint off the carb base surfaces, you want a good seal on the carbs to manifold.
    Really like the color.
    KK

8. loudbang

loudbang

Looks real good. I have had best results on parts that get hot by using the least amount of coats that cover what you want painted. It seems that the more coats the easier it burns or turns color.

9. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Manifold looks great. As far as blocking off the heat riser can't you cut out a small piece of metal and block off the exhaust passage in the head like we do on Yblock intakes? That Caddy intake looks very similar to Yblock intakes. Even with the restricted exhaust crossover intake gaskets they still burn the paint somewhat on Yblocks. Hate to see anything happen on that paint job.

10. bgaro

bgaro

looks good, just make sure u don't get fuel on it. i painted one all pretty then destroyed it with a sticky float on the carb. fuel everywhere.

11. Dimadee

Dimadee

Thanks for the kind words guys. The manifold won't go on the engine for a number of months, and we are coming into summer, so it should be well cured before it gets hot for the first time.

I like the idea of a small steel plate to block off the exhaust crossover. Thanks for the tip ;-)

My next decision is the Offy finned valve covers. I would like to do something different with them, just not sure what yet. Maybe burnt copper paint on the outside, and cast iron grey in between the fins with the top of the fins polished?