Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Buick Dynaflow Trans Problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Y I W O R K, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Y I W O R K

Y I W O R K

Just got my Buick road worthy after 31 years of storage in the family garage and on day two of testing I finally took it for a freeway test where it seems like it does not have high gear? Seems to run out of gear at 60-65 and I do not want to over rev the motor (all original).

I am starting my research on possible issues now and thought maybe someone here may have an idea of how to narrow down the issue. Thank you in advance for any positive help/support/guidance.

FYI part of getting road ready was a torque converter drain, trans pan drain, trans pan removal, new gasket, cleaned pick up screen and new hoses to trans cooler, thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Y I W O R K

Y I W O R K

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407721644.276438.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407721677.086870.jpg

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's about as good as it gets. Between the Dynaflow being somewhat inefficient and mid 3's rear end ratio, it sounds pretty busy under the hood. My '38 Buick (and my '41 and '40) all had 4.44-1 rear ends.
    Now don't think that doesn't get your attention going down the road.

There is no quick and/or inexpensive way to change that. There are ways, mind you, but they take money and effort.

I love old Buicks, but they are not without there shortcomings, few though they may be.

knucklepower likes this.
  4. If you were expecting to actually feel a "bump" when the trans upshifts, you won't with a Dynaflow. Depending on throttle position and road speed the transmission filled and emptied different areas of the fluid coupling instead of applying and releasing bands and clutches. Or something like that.

It looked great in theory... Not so much in practice. Very smooth, but not a terribly efficient means of transmitting torque to the rear wheels.

5. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

The 1950 Dynaflow doesn't change gears at all. It starts out in high and various elements of it's rather complex torque converter do all the speed vs. torque changes necessary. There is a planetary "low gear", however, it can only be selected manually by placing the lever in " L".
    You shouldn't expect this trans to drive like a more modern one. Relax, and enjoy the "motorboat" ride!

6. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

That's a very nice original car , BTW. I hope you keep it just that way.

7. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

my 48 topped at 55-60. can tow anything .....but not very fast

8. Y I W O R K

Y I W O R K

Man I love this place! Thanks for the feedback guys and yes I am leaving it all original.

I was not expecting shift points per say just thought I would be able to go freeway speeds at least haha. The car only has 69k on it. It had been in a barn with boxes on it for 20 years before my dad bought it and then he drove it for maybe three years and stored it in the garage until I got it. Been picking away at all the systems for the last 10 months to make sure everything is functional and intend to surprise my dad with it next weekend.

Thanks for the help guys

9. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Both of my '50 Buick's would run 60-70 and they both had the Dyna-Slow tranny. Its not a very efficient automatic. The torque tube seal usually goes bad. I always wanted a 3 speed std tranny. The std tranny's are known to move on down the road. Nothing better than a Buck Tooth '50. I have a '50 4dr roadmaster parts car. FYI

10. Y I W O R K

Y I W O R K

Old wood I'm looking for both front grille turn signal housings. Please PM me with what you have thx

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I cruised a '50 Special Dynaflow 75-80 MPH for years - got about the same MPG at 80 as at 60 ...

12. Y I W O R K

Y I W O R K

UPDATE: treated the car like it was brand new with break in period requirements etc and everything is running smooth now. It took a couple months for everything to settle in but she's done a brief stint at 85 on a long lonely straight away in the middle lane and just cruises right along! Been to a couple of local shows/meets and had great response to all original patina. Thanks for the feedback all. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414802935.206150.jpg

13. When I was a cub scout back in the old days, one of the den mothers drove one of these beasts. One day on an outing with a car full of boys, the cubs convinced her it would be cool to see how fast it would go. I was sitting in the front seat in the middle and was designated the official speedometer watcher. The goal was to get the speedo to 100 mph and we did it and I saw it with my own eyes. Unfortunately for the mom, the news spread like wildfire and you can guess the rest of the story.

14. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have a 49 Buick with a Dynaflow. The rear seal is notorious for leaking trans fluid down the torque tube and filling up the rear end. Check your rear end fluid and probably change it out. In the early 50's Buick realized the problem and came out with an upgrade torque ball seal.

15. On my 56 buick wagon .I just start out in low and shift in to drive when I think shes going fast enough.I call it the old sludge bucket trans. lol. Bruce.