Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '49-52 Chevy hardtop windshield for a chopped coupe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by atomickustom, Oct 27, 2014.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

Someone mentioned in a thread that the curve for a '49-'52 Chevy hardtop/convertible windshield is not the same as for a sedan/coupe. Can anyone verify and confirm this information?
    I have a '51 coupe and I have been planning all along to use a hardtop windshield as part of the chop so it's not an emergency but I definitely need to know before I go buying a one-piece hardtop windshield.
    (And if what was meant is that the shape around the top is different that is fine, as long as that sucker will fit into my cowl?)

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

NO ONE knows if a hardtop windshield has the same curve as a sedan windshield??

3. 504640

Dave, I bet someone from the following site can answer your question. They have tech advisors who's speciality is particular cars or group of cars.
    http://vcca.org/forum/

4. 'Mo

'Mo

5. threewindow

threewindow

6. atomickustom

atomickustom

"I cut down a 51 tudor winshield at home and put it in a 51 hardtop. It fit as good as you would want. no problem."
    So this may be one of those "facts" started by a magazine article that isn't necessarily so?
    I can certainly see how the shape of the windshield at the top might be different, especially at the corners, but I can't imagine the curvature of the cowl would be any different from hardtop to coupe/sedan?
    Based on your personal experience, threewindow, I'm going to consider it a myth and I'll be sure to post back here in a couple years if it turns out I'm wrong.

7. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

I had a 1951 fast back a few years back with bad windshields so bought a hardtop for parts , I think the sedan glass was taller ?

8. There's differently a difference between the Fleetline Sedan glass and the coupe and sedan glass - I pulled all the glass out of a Styleline at a yard in AZ and it was too tall for my 50 Pontiac Silverstreak (same as Fleetline)

9. 49-52 Chevy and Pontiac have four different windshields:

Styline sedan, coupe, and sedan delivery;
    Fleetline 2dr and 4dr (shorter);
    Hardtop and convertible;
    and station wagons.

Throw in the Olds and you have another set of possibles, as at least the first three body types had the one-piece the last year Olds used the small body.

Every one is slightly different size-wise and I don't know what you gain using one in place of another in a chop that's more than an inch or so.

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

I know they are different heights, that is the whole point!
    I also know it's only about 2" difference from the sedan/coupe to the hardtop/convertible. I chopped the '53 in my avatar exactly 2" at the a-pillars.
    I also know that fastback windshields are lower than sedans and higher than hard tops.
    And I know that one-piece Olds 88 windshields fit Chevies but Olds 98 do not.
    All I wanted was to verify that all '49-52 Chevy and Olds 88 windshields have the same shape at the cowl, which I have (see above).

I guess this has turned into a Chevy windshield info thread?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!