Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You are quite welcome. I will however state a preference here on the bracing.
    If I had the choice (which I did and you do also) I would (and did :)) stay away from the conduit idea and stay with the square tubing as shown in the pictures Chip posted.
    My body has the bracing done with square tubing, 1" square tube is infinitely easier to work with and stronger than conduit as well.
    Its way easier to attach anything to a square tube structure than a round conduit structure.
    You will find that the square tube in 1/16" wall thickness is easier to weld than EMT which can seem paper thin when you try to weld it.

And the added bonus is that you don't have the galvanized fume danger mentioned above.
    My opinion for what it's worth is that EMT should be used for what it was intended for and that a proper structural tube should be used for it's intended purpose also.
    Check it out, I think you will find that square tube is not what you can call expensive really.

Larry.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

DSCN3253.jpg
    As I said before mine was pretty crudely done before I got it but after it is all covered nobody can tell.

3. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Larry and Dick, I can relate to the conduit's lack of abilities to be used as a structural unit as I've worked with it a little in the past (to mock up my windshield frame). Now that I think about it, you are right in that it's just better to use the right stuff to begin with. By the time I stripped the galvanized coating off the conduit and had to weld everything to a round tube, I could have probably done a better job with square tubing. I'll pick some up when I start building a body jig. Thanks again for the advice. It's saving me a lot of headaches (literally and figuratively in this case)!

4. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Gary, the more I look at your car, the more I like it. You have so many details packed into that thing that it's easy to overlook unless you really pay attention. You did a good job of getting all the details right without making the car look "busy". Nice job!

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Tim that's always a battle. I really thought hard about the motorcycle horn I put in front. I am now tearing my hair out about a radiator overflow tank. I loose a little water every time I drive it and if I don't catch it it will overheat. If you look close I have added an electric fan. It does blend in pretty well and I would like an overflow tank to do the same. Right now the best Idea I can come up with is one of those aftermarket S.S. tubes and paint it flat black. I'll just kick it around some more.
    I think you are wise taking Blue One's advice and using square tubing. The top of the T body is kinda squared off anyway and the square tubing will fit better.

6. Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  7. Guys, here are a few T-buckets scanned from Andy Southard's "Hot Rods and Customs of the 1960's". Full credit goes to him.
    t 01.jpg t 02.jpg t 03.jpg

8. A few more from Andy Southard's "Hot Rods and Customs of the 1960's". t 04.jpg t 05.jpg t 06.jpg

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay.... Who makes an OEM alternator bracket for a SBC, with the SHORT water pump? If you ask me why I need this info, I'll have Ninja Monkeys sent to your home.Yes. NINJA MONKEYS.

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Everybody Fred I think you can buy them at your local 7-11. I don't want any monkeys.
    Really Fred I think you can buy chrome ones at every auto supply.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The ones at the auto parts store are for the long pump. If you're referring to the universal arm thinga ma jiggy, I'm looking for something a bit more pleasing to the eye.

You say you WANT the monkeys?

[​IMG]

12. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I got mine at a local auto parts store. It was chrome and the long arm like you're thinking. I just sanded it down and painted it so it wouldn't stand out so bad. I understand if you want something that's more pleasing to the eye. Check online maybe? Summit?

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Been there, done that. I just thought there was something better looking. Back to the main topic. Thanks.

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Fred, Speedway has them for the short water pump.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D Hey Fred, I'm surprised Gary didn't tell you to try Speedway first :D

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Alternator! We don't need no funkin alternators.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I ain't afraid of any old Ninja monkeys, :p I have my very own trunk monkey :D

On a serious note, maybe here,
    http://www.tdperformance.com/Powder-Coated-OEM-Style-Alternator-Brackets
    Larry

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I think I want a trunk monkey.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'll be damned. Thanks. Can't believe I passed by it, when I looked there.:oops:

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

DSCN2050.jpg Seriously Fred when I had the SBF in the roadster I used a G.M. alternator. I just bolted it low with a long bolt and aluminum spacer.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Upon further review, the Speedway bracket is for an early SBC.:mad: My block is a late 80's-early 90's block. It may turn out, I'm chasing a ghost.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Shouldn't make a bit of difference either way on the era of that bracket, Fred. You'll find all of the short pump brackets labled as pre'68, 'cause that's when the short pump died.

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred that might work for you. I think the difference is the early heads didn't have alternator bolt holes in the head. You might be able to make the early one work. How come I know so much about alternators? I just mounted one on My Plymouth with the early heads with no alternator bracket bolt holes. Not easy, SANY0032.jpg

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. I'm thinking about what Rebel posted. I think, if I thought about it hard enough, I could make a nice DIY bracket from bits and pieces I have in storage.

25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Shit Fred I just went to ebay and the first thing on the list was a chrome low mount short pump Chevy alternator bracket for $10

26. Just Gary, the first picture you posted of the "T" at the drive in, would that be at the corner of Lewelling Blvd. and Mission Blvd. in Hayward? And also Keith Bush's black full fendered 32 sedan is the one that went upside down as a Highboy a few years ago in Washington state. He still owns it, and it has been fixed and put back to the full fendered state just as in the picture.

need louvers ? likes this.
  27. Also, I believe the pearl yellow Vette behind Himsl's tub is the one that had all the chrome done in black chrome, and the interior was black diamond tuffted with all the buttons being black chrome pennies.

28. At the risk of ninja monkeys showing up here,,,
    Try to ignore the year mentioned, what you want to watch is short vs long.
    A complete short system will fit and work properly on a early or late block.
    They key that you can't mix short and long components on the same block.