Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Roadster Body - a new approach. AKA Beetledeuce

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by english gent, Sep 30, 2014.

1. I'm sure this build has been something you have spent a lot of time planning and thus far the execution of design has been spot on but I know it's early in the build but what will power the roadster? HRP

2. English, if there is any doubt or wonderment in your mind you could always pm Ryan and ask for his blessing. Then you know.

This really is an extraordinary build and I love it. Truth of that matter is this is Ryan's playground and we are here as guests. A few of my favorite builds are here no more for what ever reason.

3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I do agree completely, that this is not a VW, and it certainly does belong here. But some folks will certainly not agree, as is evidenced by the fact that we're even discussing the matter.

Building a "Ford" roadster from VW bits may not be traditional; BUT, building better cars from bits of other junked cars is totally traditional.

It's the underlying foundation of both Hotrodding and Kustomizing.

4. english gent

english gent
    from England

Strangely enough, the power for this car almost doesn't matter. This build is, IMO, unique and yet at the same time based on a very traditional idea, the 1932 Ford. Sometimes I think that, as an artist, I should have built something wilder, but, on the other hand, this is such an iconic bodyshape, that to be able to create it using something as commonplace as the beetle was a challenge in itself.
    I can't build a unique engine so the power could be flathead, Chevy 350 or straight six, who knows?

5. hey guys, just my $.02
    the HAMB is for Traditional hot rods.
    English Gent is re-creating an Icon in a way
    seldom seen anywhere, even here.
    Essentially, he is respecting our concepts.
    He is definately a master of metal.
    Many can learn some of his techniques
    to attempt to resurrect old tin that might
    otherwise be lost. His creative out of the
    box style is very impressive.
    And he is essentially making
    "Chicken salad out of chicken shit"
    Lets look at the positive, we can all learn from him.
    Amazing talent!
    just my $.02
    Oh by the way, engine choice if it was mine,
    and I was a British hot rodder in 1960,
    A Daimler SP 250, with 241 cubic inches.
    It's a HEMI!

HEMI32 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Ulu, I may be wrong but I think you are the first to refer to this as a Ford roadster other than just a 32. I hope this build stays as it way cool in many, many ways. JW

7. lucky ink

lucky ink

Just remember you seen it built on the H.A.M.B. when it's done.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

more pics PLEASE.

9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I said "Ford", but maybe should have said "Ford-style". In any event I intended it to mean Ford-style.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Or the rover/ nailhead?

Someone mentioned joe painter , I remember a magazine with a t he build using scrap, but some suspension components looked early ford ... the radius rods and front axle came from an English ford product also ... That would be a cool way to go... Keep it all English/ German

11. Ulu, that's exactly it, cheers. JW:D

12. I think this guys build far exceeds some of the off beat threads that have been axed in the past.

Taking a junk car,regardless of origin and reshaping it into a iconic car that the majority of the members here can appreciate is nothing short of amazing.

This build IMHO is and should be considered ON TOPIC. HRP

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I truly believe your talents stand tall, that you could have started with an Opel and made it look like a 32 roadster. With those talents, you could just build it from scratch.

14. I agree whole hardily. This thread is awesome in quality, content, skill, imagination, vision, artistic interpretation, & no big money tools!!!!
    The hamb changes from fall 2013 produced many casualties. Remember the "there will be casualties" revamp?
    I was specifically referring to this as being one of them and I thought the validity stood up to the topic standards. But I was incorrect
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/aluminum-body-for-a-corvette.638544/page-11

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  15. This is going to be too cool!!

16. english gent

english gent
    from England

Good call!

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I check in every day to see how things are going. Nobody asked about the size of project, will it be close to 3/4 the size of an original '32? If so a V8-60 would look right at home in it. Bob

18. english gent

english gent
    from England

From what I can find regarding dimensions of the original 32, I believe that my car will be within a couple of inches of the real thing.
    I'll take some measurements and publish them here soon.

19. Whoah.....now that was an amazing build. Where was Lance Reventlow in 1957 ?? One of my all time favorite blue race cars.

Too bad that guy didn't use a 63' frame I guess.

I love what is being done here. It is the difficulty of task being presented, in efforts of saving many wallets around the world. One only needs balls, and simple tools. How awesome is that ? For a 32' Ford styled body ?? !!! Where is the fist pump icon ?

20. If the Gentleman had built the entire cowl structure without divulging its origin, who would know it wasn't a piece of some Ford? Glad He told us rather than build it and after its totally done say 'oh by the way" its really a VW!!!!!! I can only imagine the responses to that. Thanks to the Gentleman for the build and the thread. I absolutely agree wih HRP. Tim

afaulk, volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. english gent

english gent
    from England

Thank you everyone for your words of support, it means a lot.
    I really didn't know how the Hamb community would respond to this build, I am glad to say that everyone has been open-minded enough to go along with what I am trying to achieve.

volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  22. I've always thought that the VW was an excellent candidate for this sort of thing. It has pre-war styling (don't forget the original design dates to the late 30s) and simple construction. Is it 'traditional'? Well, being rear-engined it's not a typical choice, but nobody would give a second thought if VW body bits were used to 'repair' a vintage body. V8 conversions have been semi-common over the years (the quintessential hot rod; a big motor in a small car) and it's not like rodders haven't dipped into the import market before. Anglias and Fiats have become traditional, and I recall seeing several 444/544 Volvos altered into hot rod/customs 'back in the day' and looking very much like 3/4 scale 41-48 Ford sedans. Given the 'metal magic' being performed these days, anyone who looks at a VW and can't see the 'possibilities' (a Fiat Topo inspired car, or even a Bantam) isn't using their imagination. As is being shown here, a 'classic' roadster isn't that much of a stretch. Given the OPs location, a inspired solution to a difficult problem; finding an affordable body. Very cool!

Maybe those '40 Ford' noses that used to be around for the VW will gain some value... LOL!

With all that said, I do wonder about the durability of the soldered-on pewter bits. Any concerns about the strength of the solder joints? There's going to be a certain amount of flexing involved, hate to see bits falling off....

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  23. english gent

english gent
    from England

I am soldering along the whole length of any seam for strength. As for flexibility, The pewter is a relatively flexible alloy and will have plenty of 'give' under any flexing.

24. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Just build it! :cool: You would be gone by now if there was any interest in squashing the thread. If ya go we will pick up where ya left off on the next forum? GEEEEEZE ... With that said Love the project and looking forward to seeing how it continues to come together. The time answering all these posts might be better spent actually working on your ride and getting something positive done? :D Are you Iron soldering or using a flame?

english gent likes this.
  25. Enough debate on the legitimacy of this build on the HAMB. As far as I'm concerned, it is legitimate on so many levels. As mentioned, if the mods thought otherwise it would already be gone.

Can we get past the debate and on with the build? The spirit of hot rodding lives in this thread! Go, man, go!

26. afaulk

afaulk

Definitely a prime example of hot rod ingenuity. What's not to love?

27. english gent

english gent
    from England

I'm using one of those micro-flame torches, very good tool for this work.

28. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

This is the first thread I check on the entire HAMB. Its just great. Keep up the exceptional work and keep us posted!
    Kev

29. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I if a 32 can be built with vw parts you can build what ever you want!!

30. english gent

english gent
    from England

Yes you can!