Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Phil Weiand Roadster track T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by volvobrynk, Oct 24, 2014.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey guys (and gals)

I found a picture of his beautiful roadster, when searching for pictures of "Track T with 32 grill". Because I found a beaten, broken and in cardbord boxes, project that I like.

And along side the Fartherday build/roadster made by the famous half part of Pete & Jake, this is one of my favorit Track T builds.

I only have one picture of this car, and thats by fare, to few to make me happy.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414168755.099741.jpg

This is really beautiful, and needs more attention!
    Some time ago someone posted a picture af a intake or a Blower, that said; Weiand, say Why And.
    I Think that was awesome, so simple and yet so awesome.

If there is any great Weiand story I need to know, but any and all Info is welcome.

Info on interior, drivetrain and Engine set-up, also.

I read the Edelbrock book, and yesterday I found out the story about the Foundry that made a mistake, and worked for another manifold build, and learned what Edelbrock meant with loyalty! Also is a story of early Weiand stuff. So cool.

But I just started to research the Web About Weiand, and Mister Phil Weiand. But there ain't much to find this cool Roadster.

patmanta likes this.
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

IDK anything about it, but the use of bumper sections mounted to what appears to be the rear bones is pretty interesting.

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I Think it's a skid pad for Racing, so it dont get court up with other cars. But not 100% on that one.

What is IDK?

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Those bumper ends attached to the rear bones are basically early version knerf bars. That would imply a little oval track use for the roadster, too. Gary

volvobrynk and patmanta like this.

5. 538C iteration of ...... racer Phil Wieand roadster...... ? just a guess. Sidewinder guy. Says Wieand Special. Figured he made it say it was, after he raced it ? Those guys were gnarly like that. I dunno'. Just one picture of it, wrong side.... who knows?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think that's the best use I've seen for old bumpers on a fenderless car yet for sure. It doesn't look like there's anywhere to put the style of bars I'm accustomed to seeing on old race cars due to how the bones are run outside the rails.

(IDK means "I Don't Know")

7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I never heart IDK. But okay

Kidcampel, I dont understand?

Acording to kustomrama, the was two Phil Weiand roadster, aand only holds pictures of the one. When pressing on it a picture apears of that car, with the number your gave, but I not sure it's the same car. But if I'm wrong, we take it from there.

Three exhaust pipes means Flathead or 3 port head on Chevy like the 1925 giovannis roadster. But being low flathead? Being that fare back, engine set back of more then 10%?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's a 27, not a 22/24. I don't think it's the same car that Kustomorama has documented (1948), at least not in this incarnation.

Hotroddisorder mentions it and shows the same picture, apparently from the 50's, and has a little more information.

"...Phil Weiand's T. Driven at race tracks all over LA as well at El Mirage dry lake bed. It was painted gold (I like gold...) with chromed wheels which was rare for the 50's.
    The engine is set back for better weight distribution, with a suicide front end, and a belly pan. Pieces of bumper bolted to the rear radius arms as smooth tire deflectors."

It may be the same car mentioned in Merchants of Speed, the Weiand CRA Track Roadster
    The picture in the book is configured differently, but it's totally taken in front of the same house. The book says it's a 42 Merc V8.

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Patmanta, I just found that hotroddosorder page, and I read it to, it dosen't match the one from kustomrama, that what has me confused.
    But it's just Funny tha Kidcampel gives the same number as the one on kustomrama.

I edit out the 22/24. Because after re-reading the kustomrama article again, and found I got that part wrong. My bad.
    I Dont Think it's the same car, but IDK :)D) for sure.

Is this the car the put him in a wheel chair. I found an old threat on here about a guy who has/had the car, no pictures, and it went cold in 05. :(

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think that was the 22 or the 24.

The 27 seems to have been changed constantly. I'd imagine it was a bit of a test bed.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

img328.jpg Slim Mathis driving at Carrell Speedway 1947.

volvobrynk, s55mercury66 and patmanta like this.
  12. Here is Weiand Track roadster. 1948, Don Cox photo.

[​IMG]

Phil was paralysed by street racing accident

patmanta, volvobrynk and s55mercury66 like this.
  13. I forgot I had this photo in my personal collection. jpb_dry_lake-4.jpg

patmanta, volvobrynk and s55mercury66 like this.
  14. SCTA program, Gus Maanum drawing of the Weiand roadster. jpb-scta-may-1950-001.jpg jpb-scta-may-1950-002.jpg

patmanta likes this.
  15. Looks like in 1948 Phil ran Kinmont disc brakes.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. 296ardun

296ardun

The guy in the middle is Jim Nelson of Dragmaster fame, all three guys are wearing their Oceanside Oilers jackets.

I ran into Phil Weiand often at Weiand's when I was picking up stuff for Blair's...offered me a job as a counter guy, but the Navy was calling so I declined...the guy who was working the counter was Mike Burns, who drove the Burkhard, Brammer, and Burns fuel roadster...Evert "Hippo" Brammer was a fixture at Weiands around lunch time...great guy.

volvobrynk and Jimmy B like this.
  17. missysdad1

missysdad1

Track roadsters are the ultimate "traditional" hot rod in my humble opinion. Purpose-built with form following function. While it's true that roadster racing began with street-driven hot rods, track roadsters evolved into an art form all their own. Tex Smith's books, "Roaring Roadsters" #1 and #2, are filled with examples of these low, light and powerful cars in action on tracks all across America. It just doesn't get any better.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is something wonderfully sleek about a roadster with a hood and no fenders that makes it look like it's been shapes by the flow of water.
    IMHO the track T works Best in paint, aposed to a lake car that just have to go fast. Lake guys would remove front Brakes to gain speed.
    The Track T is perfekt for street driving, because it's beautiful and complet.
    I coulden't agree more, missysdad1!

As early said, Pete's farthers day Track T is one of the best looking, in my book. But this comes close!

Any good Phil storys out there?

Isen't it Time for this to be cloned? :D

19. There is a good post on one of the Hemmings sites I think. I figured one of the old timers would come up with more info on that car and those days of early speed.

The American Hot Rod Foundation had the initial 528C pic' but I could only grab the Kustomrama picture.

Pretty sure the car that Phil Wieand broke his back in was destroyed, but have not seen anything specific. It's characteristics get mentioned quite a bit.....had a Rajo overhead valve cylinder head. He blew his tire and rolled in 1934....but was racing at Muroc the year before. It is possible some or most of that car was used on his subsequent racer......but again....no knowledge here. Just an information junkie needing a fix....in that department.

I do know that the post back breaking car.......made many appearances in quite a few different forms of organized racing events. Typical race car, being born, and yet born again.....stuff flying in and out of the parts piles.

I'll betcha' if you direct the query at Mr. Don Montgomery.....he would have some gilded answers for what really went on with that car.

ROCKERHEAD on the H.A.M.B.

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Good Info, right there.

I know I'm a little slow, but are you telling me the man, who wrote books about hot rods, that alot of people talk about and referes to is an member here?
    This comes as a big surprice to me!

Is the authors Vern/tardel on here to?

The books alot of people refers to on here aint avalible over here.
    Will that also meen that it's still possible to buy the Vern/Tardel "bibel" and the book by Don Montgomery (fuel coupes?) is still avalible as new? Whats the title on them?

It's very hard for me to see from single posts if the books you refers to are 50yrs old or 50days.
    I know, I'm a little out of cirkulation.
    I might need to go look at some books for my Christmas Wish-list,
    because I've been nice this year, and
    deserves some good books! :cool:

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I just vent to Google and looked all the books up.
    I know I will need sone of them in the future! :D :cool: