Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally got an A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Malibob, Sep 21, 2014.

1. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Why wait to try to find a police head when you can get a new version? http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1069 Nice coupe by the way. Id paint the current wheels black till i could replace with some 35 wires or 40 steelies, but just me.

2. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Would like an original if I could find one, if not going to go for a little more compression so like the Winfield. I do agree the wheels are horrible- going black as soon as the new rubber comes in. Then I got '40 Ford 16" steelies on their way, also want a set of '35 wires while I have a fendered car- nice thing is that I can change the tires between them since they are both 16" wheels. The 16" wheel/tire combo will be a little down the road, when I can afford the tires but I want to get the speed parts first so I can keep up and keep driving this thing to work etc...

3. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Nice car, looks like a great start

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

that is a great little car for sure. nice to see you driving it the way it is!.

5. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413848578.345880.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413848589.393240.jpg
    Got the wheels back on and dressed in black. Way better than red if you ask me.

Also got front spring reversed and took out one too many leaves. So, back out she goes and add another leaf back in.

Now for the question segment...
    Can I pull the back end down and leave the rear spring attached to the axle then take a few leaves then re install? Read about the c clamp removal and all but I figure since I am not actually pulling off perches it may work, any thoughts?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

whtbaron and grego31 like this.
  6. I would completely pull the rear end out to perform the work. Clamp the spring with two big c clamps and remove the center bolt. Replace with longer bolt or all thread. Start backing everything apart slowly until just the main is on the axle. Installation is reverse of removal.

7. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice "A", and I like the plan you have for it. The wheels looks a lot better in black.

There is a new Iron Winfield head in the process of being made. I am not exactly sure how far away it is from production. Search the FordBarn for more information if you are interested. I am waiting for one :)

8. You probably already know but you need to run wire wheels on the mechanical brake drums and solid wheels on the hydraulic (1940-48 Ford) brake drums or you must use adapters or make modifications. Just because you can bolt them on doesn't mean you won't have problems in the future (wheels cracking or coming off). See
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/40-ford-wheels-on-a-model-a.750368/#post-8330045
    for more info. For what it is worth I would go with bent spoke Kelsey wheels if I decided not to keep the original ones.

Charlie Stephens

9. TBilbrey64

TBilbrey64

Damn nice car. I just sold my '31 steel top truck. Sure is easy to parts for A's Have fun.
    Tim

10. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

I thought that was the case. Eventually going to get hydraulic brakes so already have the wheels ready. '40 ford steels already powder coated.

11. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Nice Model A . I have been looking myself and today spotted a nice driver right up the street. Same type plans and when I get a few other projects done, start on the A

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

12. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Really sweet little car, I love it! Best to you man!

13. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Well, little update. I got a B Carb and intake on last night. I actually had the B carb on for a few days but it keeps killing the car when it gets hot. Was a rebuilt carb but who knows, maybe the float is messed up or something. I did make some adjustments to jets and idle according to the setup information I found online so we will see if that made a difference. Anyways threw the intake on last night and today is supposed to be decent so gonna spin it around the block a few times and see if I can set any records.

Side note:
    I did notice a difference with just the carb switched out and could actually gain speed up a hill in 3rd; AMAZING!!! So if I can get it idling right, all will be right in the world again.

14. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

15. Shes looking good!

16. v8paul

v8paul
    from england

waxhead likes this.
  17. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Ok, so I haven't been around for a while but I am busy use like everyone else with a family and work. Here is an update. Ben Haag has decided to build me a chassis and swap over the body. Whoa, what was I to say other than hell yes please.
    We got a flatly motor complete with a vintage rebuild tag from an authorized Ford rebuilder (awesome) and a T5 trans, turned out to be a world class. Ok so that isn't traditional but I thought it was the right upgrade for a daily driver. That's right I wan to drive this shlt out of this thing so keep that in mind. I bought F1 brakes and rear but turns out the '40 brakes work better with the 2 options of wheels I want to interchange. I lined up a set of sweet ass '35 wires with the help of Ben and his buddy down in NC and I also have a set of freshly powder coated '40 steelies. So will be swapping them out based on how sinister I feel. Ok so that is enough typing, here are some pics of the progress, hey Ben feel free to chime in because you are busting balls on this thing. Elaborate if you wish.

Acquisition of parts

http://flic.kr/p/qDes7X
    http://flic.kr/p/qD5xvw

The mill

http://flic.kr/p/qDesR2

18. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Ah... Damnit. I will post the pics on Monday. Can't do it with this stupid ipad.

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I like it. This car will be perfect !

20. Sounds great. You probably already know this but you need adapters when you run wires on the '40 drums.

Charlie Stephens

21. Coming along, looking good!

22. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

23. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

24. Lookin' good.

25. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Fenders came off last couple of days and body ready for its new home Hotrodderhaag sure is tearing through this thing.
    [​IMG]
    AV8
    by Malibob, on Flickr

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. Be sure to think twice about the trim rings shown in the next to the last picture. I painted my wheels and added the rings only to decide that it was too much "glitter". There were only a few scratches when I removed the rings. It is all a matter of taste, you may like them and they may look good with the rest of your car..

Charlie Stephens

27. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Was wondering about that myself. Thanks

28. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

29. Looks awesome! love it

30. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh