Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Just had mine done it takes a bit to get 100% again but you can still do small stuff. Call it physical therapy

2. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Thanks for sharing this awesome build. I hope the surgery goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery.

3. here comes the jewelry ! looks great !

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is gonna' have to do. 002 (3).JPG

5. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

So cool. I would love to cruise around in your car! Ps. Praying for your Speedy recovery.

Posted using the Full Custom MUNDSTER app!

6. Praying for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery for you today!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

002 (7).JPG Snip,snip, it's all good.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    daddio211 and drdave like this.
  8. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I've got the grille together. One of the vertical bars had some chrome peel off. The chrome guy's said that might happen, and to be sure and bring it back. The trial fit in the car went ok (?), some nicked paint. I do appreciate the prayers. I have minimal pain and about 95% mobility so far View attachment 2708797 View attachment 2708797 001 (12).JPG 003 (9).JPG 002 (8).JPG 004 (2).JPG

Marty Skelton and daddio211 like this.
  9. OLLIN

OLLIN

The crown jewel!
    Glad to hear the surgery went well. .

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

001 (4).JPG 005.JPG View attachment 2713717 View attachment 2713717 This knee surgery experience has been interesting to say the least. After coming home Friday morning from the hospital the knee felt very good. No pain killer was needed to be comfortable. The mobility was almost a hundred %. Over time the only problem has been an increasing stiffness, but without pain. The first two days I did the ice packs. I can walk (with effort) without anyone knowing I’ve had this procedure. The stiffness has increased and become very annoying. On Thursday I tried hot packs. It’s not turned out good . I now am starting to feel more pain so, I’m going to go on the pain pills to get over the hump. I’m going for follow up on Monday.
    Lopez41Ford-vi[1].jpg
    I’ve been able to be pretty productive. After giving up on finding a vintage refer drip pan for the air scoop I’ve looked for something that has the dimensions that will make it look right. I finally found what will work by using the top on a large vintage tackle box. I’ve trimmed the top to give me that look that the pics show.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

fantastic job your doing, glad to here the knee surgery went well,it will hurt but not for long.The grille is looking amazing

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

Lets get caught up a little. 001 (13).JPG 002 (7).JPG

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  13. 61stude

61stude

I just tuned in to this thread. I love it. Great craftsmanship and a beautiful car to replicate. Have a speedy recovery.

Thank you sir for doing this.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  14. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

wow, sure have enjoyed your progress and thanks for sharing

15. Say! Using a portion of that old toolbox as the deflector is pure genius..! Well, dang clever anyway! ;)

The car looks awesome as we all sensed it would! I'm pleased that you are able to work through your various injuries and keep the project moving forward. Continued progress and future good health Jer. I'm lovin' this story!

Dave

16. keep the updates coming....looking great

17. OK Now Jer's healthy, did the wiring problems get all addressed. Thing's can't get more frustrating than something you don't fully understand. Hopefully your wiring man is someone who cares enough to care. Car LOOK'S GREAT.

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well...thanks Bill. We've gone from a loose connecter that needed to be tightened up, to a replacement connecter that blew out the ballast. After replacing the ballast I not only don't have spark, but now the lights don't work. Yeah, I should have run through all the systems at the electrical shop, but I didn't. So I have multiple phone calls with multiple promises that go unfulfilled. Very frustrating.

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

Ok, we were working on that air scoop. It does appear to be a bit to low. I'll have to wait to get the grille in and off the lift to get the be P8270038-vi[1].jpg 003 (3).JPG st look at it.

20. waiting to have my Woodie wired....looking great Jer....

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

002 (3).JPG This is the correct configuration of the rear plate with the dual lites. Jesse's car existed during a time when the local municipalities looked at rod's and custom's as a ready source of revenue. Just look at a cop funny or give him an excuse to stop you and you (and your wallet) were at risk of a ticket and coughing up some hard earned bread. With two license plate lites you had a cushion if one of them burnt out.

It would be fun to see these lit up, but at the moment there is a problem t 001 (9).JPG 001 (9).JPG hat I have to deal with.

22. that looks great Jer !

23. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Very nice :) I love it

24. big57daddy

big57daddy

Not only is this coupe a stunning top-shelf work of art, but the little bits of history that are included (like the reason for 2 lights on the rear license frame) make this one of my all-time favorite reads.
    Thanks very much, Jer - and I'm glad that you are healthy and back on this project!

cheers, Ray

Eric H likes this.
  25. jivin jer

jivin jer

As you can see, the air scoop extends down too far. I need to install all the bumper components along with the grille to see what’s going to be needed. Everything needs to be compared to the original pic in the last post. Looking through the windshield you can see where the back glass opening needs to be to be able to duplicate that shot. The grille still needs some redone parts, and I can’t find the bumper guard’s.
    001 (8).JPG
    I’m going to take the car over to Glenn’s on Monday for the glass/stainless work to be completed. This will (almost) be the last big thing that needs to be done. Glenn says that he has a hernia so don’t expect him to be able to help push the car. I’m going to try and see if I can get some help this weekend on the electrical problems.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  26. greybeard360

greybeard360

Sorry for not getting up there to look at the wiring Jerry. Being by myself in the shop and getting covered up with work has made it difficult fo close up shop and come up to your house.

First thing... the "new connector" didn't burn out the ballast. The connector was on the starter relay. The ballast burned out because it was original to the car.... i.e. OLD

The headlights.... we had bulbs plugged in the harness at the shop and they worked. Will have to look and see what is going on there.

I will try to get up there next week (maybe monday) when I have a 1 day helper with me. :)

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  27. jivin jer

jivin jer

This sounds good Mike however, with Glenn thinking this car is coming out Monday it would be most helpful if I can give him something that is actually going to happen.

28. 296ardun

296ardun

really been enjoying this thread, great workmanship!

29. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

I second that

30. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks guy's,here is the latest and probably last to do list for this car. I can see that light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going to try and figure out how to turn the car around to be able to get it in the trailer. I will tell Glenn that he will se 001 (6).JPG e the car late pm. That will leave the morning open.