Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Timing a magneto driven flathead???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Sep 21, 2014.

1. oldsboy

oldsboy

I'm working on setting the timing on my flathead. It has a converted vertex magneto and I've tried to set the timing and read the rpms with a digital timing light. However when I try, the gun works for about 10 seconds and dies. I've tried two different guns but no luck.

How do you set timing on a magneto driven 8BA flathead, any suggestions?

2. I have an 8BA with a vertex mag in my 36 coupe, and have no problems checking the timing with an advance timing light, have you tried hooking onto a different ignition lead other than # 1 to see if the timing light keeps operating maybe you have an issue with # 1 cylinder not firing.

3. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks Cully. I'd give it a shot but the timing light flat lined after I hooked it up. Absolutely no power to the gun. Same thing happened to a new out of the box gun.

That's why I'm lost...will try again tomorrow though on a different lead. Never know.

4. I have had similar issues in the past where I thought my timing light was playing up, but the problem was # 1 spark plug was only firing intermittently once it got warm. Connecting your timing light to each lead one at a time as close to the plug as possible and checking that you have a good regular flash from your timing light is a good way to see if all your plugs are firing, from there you can work out if you have a faulty plug or lead.
    DSCF3173.JPG

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

5. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Rf interference to the timing light. I have the same problem.
    Solid core wires and a magnet spinning gives a signal a lot of timing lights hate.
    The expensive Mac and snap-on lights are of little use. Especially if they are digital.
    A craftsman analog dial back(the older ones are more desire able) .
    The mark stays rock steady.
    Another trick a buddy of mine use to use is he would hook a light up then another light to the clamp wire of the first one to get far away to get a clean signal and use the second light to time.
    I haven't tried this but I can tell you if McNally said it,it will work.
    Msd has a timing light they claim will work also,as a multi spark will react similarly .