Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3x2 edelbrock with Rochester's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Sep 20, 2014.

1. deto

deto

I have the option to buy an edelbrock 357 with Rochester's... Is this a good option or should I hold out for 97's

2. Koz

Koz

The Rochesters 2GC's are a vastly improved carb over the 97's. The Holleys have tradition on their side but the Rochesters are a superior carb in every way. They also flow way more than the 97's. I've used both numerous times and if I'm lookng for a "runner", I go for the 2GC's. If it is purely based on appearance than the 97's may be the way to go.

3. deto

deto

Would the Rochester's be acceptable for a 1964 cut off build date?

4. Sure

The 2GC is the automatic choke version with the choke coil mounted on the side of the carburetor. In early versions (1955 - late 60's) the choke thermostat assembly is attached to the airhorn (top part) of the carburetor.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

5. Koz

Koz

I agree with the above post. Personally, I like the somewhat later carbs due to several minor changes that make the carbs a bit more reliable. They also come in two flavors the front inlet and the side inlet. The side inlet carbs are somewhat more easily adapted to a 'trip setup. These are probably, short of one of the new Edelbrock, (Thremoquad knockoffs), the easiest and most reliable carbs out there. Once they are dialed in they are virtually maintenance free. make sure if you rebuild them they have alcohol tolerant floats in them. Other than that, just the usual setup. One advantage of the Rochesters is you can run a mechanical pump as they tolerate and want more fuel pressure than the Strombergs or Holley 97's.

An excellent thread on setting these up can be found at.......
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fuel-multi-carb-tips.77680/

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the early 1960's, a friend bought a 3-2 manifold for his '55 Chevy that had 3 94's on it. Nothing but trouble. We looked it over and saw it had pads capable of being re-drilled for 4 bolt carbs. After doing this and getting 3 Rochester carbs from the local junk yard. we couldn't believe the improvement.

7. deto

deto

Awesome thank you

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I've just dialed in my rochester tripower. They are extremely simple carbs to work on and pretty easy to set up. That being said, the most important thing in getting a rochester tripower to run right is to firs make sure your secondary carbs are set up as such and then make absolutely certain that you don't have any vacuum leaks. I just put phenolic spacers and new longer carb studs underneath my carbs to help get rid of fuel percolation issues. I cinched down the carbs, drove the snot out of it. Later it started really running rough. It turns out that the nuts holding the carbs down needed retorqueing and I had a vacuum leak. After snugging down the nuts it ran like a champ again.

9. deto

deto

Great info....

10. deto

deto

Is $850 with all linkages, fuel block, manifold, and carbs a good price.

11. clem

clem

Holleys are 94s . Strombergs are 97s. I've stuck with 3x holley 1 1/16 ( large 94s) - been an interesting time but the Holleys sure look the part. Mostly pre '64 stuff on my car. Run a regulator down to 1&1/2 lbs if using 94s or 97s.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Depends on if the carbs are either tripower carbs or at least if the two end ones have special bases to convert them to dumpers, and if the carbs are freshly rebuilt. If it is a setup that you will have to go through you will have to factor in the price of 3 kits. $850 for a ready to bolt on, clean looking setup isn't out of line.

Don

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a 64 GTO set up (pic shagged off a google image search).

[​IMG]

Here's a 61 to 63 style:

[​IMG]

I'd say that the 2gs are traditional enough, no? Here's a 59 Chevy get up too:
    [​IMG]

All of these are from a google image search. And $850 sounds like a jumbo deal to me if it's all there and will clean up nice. If it's all pretty and ready to go it's almost theft without a weapon :eek:

14. missysdad1

missysdad1

While the Rochesters would be technically correct for a pre-'64 application, in my opinion they'd be out of place for anything with a pre-'55 vibe. That having been said, the Rochesters - properly set up - would be far more efficient and far less trouble than 97s or 94s. And, as has already been said, the Rochesters are not complicated nor difficult to rebuild/adjust.

15. Koz

Koz

My mistake..... I know the difference, I just shouldn't be typing with my mind on a dozen other things! I don't think we asked, but what are you putting these on?

16. Also, the Rochesters I run don't like over about 3 lbs fuel pressure.

17. deto

deto

Healthy 327. 10:1, .501 hydraulic roller can, ported heads, etc...

18. Koz

Koz

That motor will really like the Rochesters and they are totally correct for that engine. I run straight up Chevy mechanical pump which runs way more than 3 lbs. Many sets out there that run great. Everybody has their pet combos but 3 lbs. seems a bit light to me. Most mechanical pumps, (stocker type Carters etc., no race stuff), seem to run in the 6lb. range.

19. flatty1

flatty1

Just fired up a SBC with 3 rochesters will be dialing them in in the next few weeks no water in the engine yet.
    I look forward to some pointers if you have any?

20. Sounds like a fair price, but with some caveats.
    Make sure that the two END carbs do not have idle circuit bases or you will need to get the throttle blades to close completely, and close or epoxy the two idle bleed screws if that hasn't been done. If I recall, there is also an air bleed hole in the non-end style carbs that needs to be dealt with also.
    Seems there were several threads in the past on the conversion. Replacement, no idle, bases are being made.

If you get lucky, as I did, the carbs came off a 3x2 348 Chevy with correct bases and side inlets and needed only a rebuild, but that was 1987, and carbs were $80 and the Edelbrock $50.

Use the K&N filter that fits your air cleaners.

I run a Holley red pump and regulator, as my motor mount blocks the mechanical.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kid: "Daddy, what are 'firepots'?"

Annoyed Dad: "Stromberg 97s..."

22. I'm gonna run a pair on my yblock. 94's and 97's are cool indeed, but I expect less issues running 2 Rochesters.

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Milner had them on that piss yellow coupe in '62:D

24. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

In actuality your questions has many different answers. I will break them down:
    1) What look/time period are you trying to replicate?
    Stromberg 97's are hands down the most "traditional" look for pre 1960 style cars. Holley 94's, while having more flow and a better design, are temperamental when used as multiple induction. Although it must be said that 94 can be used in multiple induction setups if steps are taken to correct them for multiple use (namely the enrichment circuit is vacuum controlled in a 94). I'll save that discussion for a different post. Stromberg 97's have a mechanical enrichment circuit which is why they were almost exclusively used in the early days of performance. Rochester 2 G carbs are superior to the 97 and 94. Rochester carbs were used (and designed to be used) as multiple carburetors. The look factor places the Rochester as appropriate for a late 50's through the 60's style car.
    2) Performance- Stromberg 97's flow about 155 cfm. Holley (Chandlers Grove) 94's flow about 175 cfm. A Rochester 2G with a small base flows about 225 cfm. It must be noted that Stromberg, Holley (Chandlers Grove), and Rochester all made different cfm carbs. So sticking with performance in mind the Rochester clearly wins that competition.
    3) Cost - Strombergs (new and/or rebuilt) tend to cost more than a rebuilt 94's or Rochester's. Rochester 2G's were used (in various forms) from 1955 through 1979 and are probably less expensive than the other two.

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like 2GC's. There seem to be a lot of large base carbs out there, but small base versions are getting kind of hard to find. As an aside, didn't some of the factory tri-power setups use a large base in the center and small bases on the ends? (Just something I seem to remember.)

26. clem

clem

283 sbc
    They have been a nightmare, but then again I don't know what I am doing, but learning slowly.