Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 chevy pu bed blocks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by old chevy dude, Sep 17, 2014.

1. old chevy dude

old chevy dude

I recently ordered new bed blocks for the 34. When I got them two were drilled off center and I have no clue why. I am trying to get the bed side and fender in the right position so I can install the rear end. I do not have cross sills and plan to use 2x2 tubing instead. The cab is still in pieces with no wood. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's where those "restoration" manuals that show how to put them back "original" come in when we are building hot rods. They take a lot of the "does it go this way, that way or ah hell will it even work" out of things.

3. old chevy dude

old chevy dude

Good info but the only reason I would ask such a question as this is because i want to be sure the bed (and fender) is positioned right for the rearend. I have seen trucks where the bed was mounted incorrect and I don't want that. Trust me; This is not an original restoration. Thanks for the input.

4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

do you have the running boards? and are the brackets still on the frame? if so mount the running boards in place and that will tell you where the front of the rear fender goes

5. Jim , your cross braces should be 45 inches long x 1 3/4
    your front blocks of wood should be 2 7/8 tall
    your center blocks and rear blocks should be 2 1/2 tall
    the off set ones are for the rear because the frame gets wider
    and originally the offset washer would go through the wood bed
    IMG_5497.JPG 20140203_172834.jpg 20140128_143112.jpg

6. old chevy dude

old chevy dude

Thanks 29 moonshine.
    Thanks 29moonshine, Yes, that is what you see in my avatar. My concern was getting the bed in the right position and bolting up the fender. The fender was patched up, at some point in time, and I am concerned about the holes. I finally realized that if the cross sills were drilled in the center it shouldn't matter about the blocks.

7. old chevy dude

old chevy dude

Thanks wood remover, I was scratching my head pretty hard for a while there but now it's clear. Man, I wish my sheet metal looked that good; Maybe some day.