Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Studebaker 289

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 55zephyr, Aug 31, 2014.

1. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Hi all, I've the chance of getting my hands on a 289 Studebaker engine and box. Would this suit the traditional build of my 1931 fenderless model A coupe. Any opinions gratefully accepted.
    Cheers, Ron.

2. Absolutely! Do it.

3. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, do it! The only problem with Studebakers is that there are few transmission adaptors, but if you have the transmission, you don't have that issue. I don't know if anyone still makes multiple carb induction systems, but if you have a 4-bbl. it should be fine for a '31A.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It works for me!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Great motors and the tranny should be fine too. Studebaker usually used off-the-shelf Borg-Warner boxes. Is it a 3-Speed, 3-Speed OD, truck 4-Speed, or auto?

The 259 in my truck has never been apart since 1959, as far as I know, and is still going strong.

If you have a 2-barrel manifold, most post '56 (?) two-barrels used the same casting as the 4-barrel. You can have them machined to take a small-base Rochester or Carter 4-barrel.

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

sko_ford likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I thought aftermarket cad intakes could be adapted to the stude? & hell YES! GOOD looking motor, and fairly popular in the early/mid fifties.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think you could look at a Ford T10. A lot of the people who bought BW transmissions used the small Ford bolt pattern. I know I was able to bolt a top loader behind my Packard V8. With a few tweaks. But the bolt holes lined up and I didn't have to do much.

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

The early cad intakes can be made to 'work' but even with lots of effort, the ports don't line-up all that great and the stock studebaker manifold flows much better.

9. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Here's a pic, stollen from the interwebs, that shows how the later 2-barrel manifolds can be modified to take a 4-barrel carb:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409507295.999842.jpg

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

11. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Thanks for your replies, The engine and auto box came out of a running truck so would just need a freshen up I guess. Are rebuild parts easy to get?
    Cheers again, Ron.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Strong runners in their day. Parts might be a bit spendy comparatively and thinugs like headers might be in the have to build your own category but they sure aren't a belly button engine.

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

The auto should be a Flight-o-Matic which is essentially a Borg-Warner Ford-O-Matic with a different bell housing. Rebuild parts are available for both it and the motor through several vendors. I use "Studebaker Parts Online", "Studebaker International", and even Rock Auto for some stuff like gaskets.

14. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Rebuild parts are readily available, and not too expensive. Stude engines are known as leakers, especially at the rear main seal. Just work with a builder who knows Studes, or study up if you're doing it yourself. The Studebaker Drivers Club is a wealth of information, and has a great monthly magazine and friendly web forum.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I seem to recall aftermarket Olds valve covers also work if you add the extra holes??

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looks like he just used two bolts per side???

[​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My truck had the stock 3spd trans but I replaced it with a T-5 OD unit. Any body need a stock 3spd top loader with a factory floor shift?
    [​IMG]

This is a Weiand "convertible" Studebaker VC It was drilled for Olds when I bought it but I drilled it for my Stude and just added 2 bolts to plug the unused holes. Lots of old timers scratch their heads on this one.
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  18. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

GET IT, THE BEST SOUNDING V8 EVER! 3 SPEED OD BEHIND IT= HAPPY MOTORING FOR EVER

19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Early Studebaker V8s (232 and 259) used Four-Bolt valve covers. Late 289s used the Two-bolt covers.

20. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

For what it's worth...it's about a ten minute job to convert to, or from two bolt to four bolt rocker covers.

Mike

loudbang likes this.
  21. 55zephyr

55zephyr

[​IMG]Thanks everyone for your input, I've bought the unit as it will look kind of period, being an early 60s engine.[​IMG]
    Cheers, Ron.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    sko_ford likes this.
  22. what they alllll said......doitdoitdoit.....

23. Rusty

Rusty

I had one in my 32, cool little motors, but a turd to race

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a 259 for my T sedan build. Scored a Saginaw 4 spd that is gonna use an adaptor that my machinest cousin is making.

25. Good strong engine, just limited in the hp it can make due to heads that are hard to get flow sufficiently for big hp. Bottom end will take a blower without concern, that is what Studebaker factory did to keep up in the hp wars since the heads flow was limited - go with forced airflow.

A single four and some minor port clean-up will be a nice street engine. Have fun with something that is not so common and still has traditional roots.

26. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

Pics!!!! This is the second decade of the 21st century. You should be posting pictures of the engine before you even get it home!

27. PackardV8

PackardV8

Strong, heavier than the hubs of hell, wide and tall, but looks cool in a period rod.
    We build those all the time. If you need an R1 cam, shoot me a PM.

jack vines

28. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

29. aircap

aircap

Dean Moon used a Stude V8 in one of his Deuces.... if it worked for him, it will work for you.

sko_ford likes this.
  30. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Apologies me old mate but I'm not too clever at adding pics. It is, however on the Rods'n'sods forum under parts for sale.
    Cheers, Ron.