Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 ford i.d number

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 69ranger, Aug 31, 2014.

1. 69ranger

69ranger
    from mo

hey guys i got a 40 ford car the other day.
    just curious how to find out any info on what it started out as, such as std or deluxe paint color and engine size.
    its a coupe and thats all i no for sure.
    here is the i.d number can it be decoded at all?
    the warranty tag is trashed so its no help to me.

any help would be great.
    thanks a ton

2. All you can find out is at this site: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

I would have expected to see an "18-" before the number but that prefix only identifies the engine type. Some DMV's leave the prefix off of the registration. Also the complete number usually has a star before and after it when it is stamped into the frame to avoid people changing the number by adding digits. The site will tell you that the car came with a 85 HP engine, and that is about all unless you guess the approximate production date based on the number. Other sources will give you a monthly distribution of the serial numbers. The serial numbers were assigned to the engine/transmission assemblies as they passed final inspection at the Rouge plant (where all engines/transmissions were assembled). The assemblies were shipped around the country to the various assembly plants. Shipping could take 1 to 3 months depending on the location of the assembly plant. Some of the engine/transmission assemblies were shipped to foreign assembly plants while other foreign assembly plants did their own engine/transmission manufacturing. When the assemblies were installed in the vehicles on the assembly line the number on the assembly (actually at the top of the transmission case) was stamped into the top of the left frame rail where it was visible and two more places where it would be covered by the body. There is no information such as std or deluxe or paint color buried in the number like you find on a modern VIN.. What you call the warranty tag was probably a patent data plate (available as a repro) that will not tell you anything. The plate may also have been a body number that will only tell you the identification number of the body if Ford purchased it from a supplier. Ford built bodies lacked a body number plate. I am not sure if Ford produced or subcontracted the couple bodies. If you are into restoration the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org) has an excellent restoration guideline available that can be ordered on their site.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. There are a couple of things I left out of my first post. If you want to know if it is std or deluxe go to http://www.socalefv8.org. Look under "Cars of the Early Ford V8 Years". When you look under 1940 you will see a deluxe grill treatment. Next go to 1939 and note the grill treatment. The 1939 deluxe shown for 1939 was used by Ford in 1940 as the standard style. There are a lot of small differences between the std and deluxe but this is what you will notice first (see the restoration guidelines from the Early Ford V8 Club). The only way to tell the original color is to find a place with the original paint on it. The restoration guidelines form the Early Ford V8 club have color chips to help.

Charlie Stephens

4. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

If it still has any of the original glass, you may be able to narrow down the production date from "bug" (label) on the pane(s). It will show the month/year the pane was produced, and the piece was likely installed in the car 1–3 months later.

5. .................................Charlie, Wouldn't the 54.......... vin # indicate a V-8, 60 hp car?

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think in 1940 there could have been a 54xxxxx 85hp ( with the 18 missing or unreadable) ; this would have been 7 digits. The V8 60 would have been 8 digits, 545xxxxx. That's how my car is.

7. 69ranger

69ranger
    from mo

thanks for the info,
    im gonna check out the sites you gave me.
    should be some good info there.
    have a good day guys

8. If the "54" was assumed to be the prefix the engine would have been built in 1937. It would sure be nice to see a couple of pictures of the car.

Charlie Stephens

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. 69ranger

69ranger
    from mo

ill try and post some.
    im not real good with computers but ill try

thanks

10. 69ranger

69ranger
    from mo

11. 69ranger

69ranger
    from mo

lets see if this one comes through

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thats a Deluxe grille. looks to be in great shape too. One tip I learned from mine was: an early 40 production it will have the Flip UP ash trays rather than the Flip Down ash trays that most had. So if the ash tray knob is at the bottom its a very early production 1940 model.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. That's a great looking '40......Have fun with it.............Don.

14. txturbo

txturbo

Congratulations by the way .....on the car AND not calling it a VIN.

15. 69ranger

69ranger
    from mo

thanks guys its a pretty solid car