Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 38/39 Willys firewall differences

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Bomber, Aug 25, 2014.

1. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Anyone know if there is a size difference in the indented area between the 38 and 39 Willys, or did they use the same firewall for both years? Thanks for any info.

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm sure some one will chime in here and prove me wrong, I've seen 38's with a hood hinge on each side of the hood and later 39's with the hood hinge on the top of the firewall ala 40-41. On the 38's I mention the sides of the firewall was different I can't recall the center indented area. Although in typical Willy's fashion I have a cowl firewall I know from a 38 Willy's PU and it has the center hood hinge.

Pat

3. The 37's and 38's looked nearly identical...there are some subtle changes and differences, but the two main differences and major changes foe 1938 was to go to the center (piano) hood hinge...if it had 2 outside hinges it was a '37. The 2nd major difference in '38 was the drip rail...the '37's did not have a drip rail. Firewalls were the same in both those years. They did change the size of the indent, but I am not sure if it was the model 39, or in 1940. Remember also the early '39's were called a Model 48, and pretty much identical to the 37-38 style.
    g-willys

4. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

yea knew about the drip rail,Thanks. i picked up a stock firewall.might be a 39. haven't installed it yet, but looks like the glove compartments of the 38 dashboards will hit the indent,indent might be too wide.Wish I could see a 38 firewall to see if there's a difference.

5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

If you cannot use the 39 firewall I would be interested in buying it..Mine is cut up beyond recognition!

6. I have owned a 39( Model 39 Overland) and still have a 37. Are you talking of just the fire wall panel or the whole cowl ? I don't know of any differences in the fire wall panel it-self but the cowl yes, as mentioned above. The 37 also has a flat floor with no drive shaft hump. JW

7. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Hey 26T yes, I'm talking about the firewall only. In the pictures I've seen, The distance between the top of the firewall going downward to the beginning in the indentation looks longer on the 37 than the 39 ? maybe it was to accommodate the back of the 38 glove boxes fitting flush against the inside of the firewall?

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Bomber go to my ad for the 38 firewall cowl for sale and look at the pictures. It is a 38 PU cowl and I can take measurements for you if that helps

Pat

9. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Hi Pasquale, Yea I saw it, don't know if I could use it all, maybe, But, even at that if you can measure from the top of the firewall down to where the top of the indentation starts it would tell me a lot.Thanks.

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Bomber it's 9-1/2" to 10" depending on where you go to on the curve of the indent I added some pictures

Pat

Attached Files:

11. Willys were not big on spending much between years here and after the 39 model 48 everything behind the dash was smaller, glove compartments etc and nothing in the engine bay really changed. There was no need to change the firewall. Even the 40 chassis has the mounts for mechanical brakes.JW

12. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Yea, Pasquale, that explains a lot. It's a longer measurement than a 39 to accommodate the depth of the glove boxes. i guess when the dashboard changed in 39, it probably wasn't so deep, so, the 39 firewall measure measurement at the same spot you took it is much less than the measurement than the 39 I have. Thanks for the info and photos. I'll have to get a 38.