Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Don DeZalia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donald N Wemple Jr., Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hi Sorry to let the HAMB know of bad news but Don DeZalia a long time drag racer from upstate New York just passed. He was known as Mr. Blister to many and drag raced thru the years. I met him a couple of years ago when looking for history on the North Hudson dragstrip. Turns out he was one of the 25 owners of the track. I enjoyed his wisdom and the stories he relayed to me on the early days of racing around the upstate area and Canada. I spoke with him last week as he was recovering from a stay in the hospital and still said he was going to open the shop as soon as he felt better in a couple of weeks. I would always see the shop doors open every time we went by and would stop by to say hello. He worked right up until he got sick.. I was lucky enough to get a great shot of him next to his Chevelle drag car he still had in the shop with his helmet right in the back seat ready to go! He did not have a computer and I explained to him there was info out on the net about him and his history. He just smiled! Thanks Don.

2. NOVADAVE1973

NOVADAVE1973

3. Doug B

Doug B

I've know Don since I was a little kid.I grew up a mile or so from where he lived,his 3 older sons and I all went to school together.His son Jeff stood up for me when I got married.
    There was not a more salt of the earth guy than Don.He worked on cars every day of his life,and was always ready to help someone who needed it.He organized a group of motorheads to raise money to build a 1/8 mile drag strip in our small town of 250 people.The strip ran from about 1962 till 1969,and drew people from Vermont NY and Canada.My Dad could fix cars,but Don was the gearhead influence in my life. He will be missed. R.I.P. Mister Blister.
    Pictured is Don DeZalia and Norm Monette at the North Hudson Dragway Reunion from a few years ago.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. syclonegs2003

syclonegs2003

I vividly remember this car.. I was looking at the cars in the lot at Ti-Motors (Ticonderoga, New York) in August 1968 and saw this red 66 Chevelle SS396 that had white shoe polished numbers on the windows.. I had been looking at a new red 68 Camaro SS396 there when a guy in the lot told me that the Chevelle SS was Mr. Blisters car and that he raced it at North Hudson drag strip and won often and was unbeatable on the street... I asked the guy if the new Camaro SS396 would beat the Chevelle and he said hell no. I never did meet Don but always remembered that car. The guy also told me Mr. Blister was inside the service bay talking to a mechanic.

Last edited: May 12, 2020