Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 ford transmission question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fastcheck, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Fastcheck

Fastcheck
    from Alabama

What kind of rear mount is this
    Or is this a 39 trans
    Building AV8 on 31 frame

Attached Files:

2. Not a mount i've ever seen.. do you know what the trans came out of? Was it converted to some sort of industrial / farm use?

I'd find another case / rear mount and swap em over. Remember, there were various types of rear mounts throughout the years from '32 onwards..

Depends really if you are going to hand make a mount, or want to use an X frame from an '33 onwards frame.. will depend on whether or not you need a particular mount. If you are going to hand make one, just find any mount from '33 onwards and build to suit.

3. Heres a good picture for you. My trans is an original '39 Mercury, but i dare say the Fords would of had the same rear mount and clamshell.

As you can see, the mount on the trans didn't matter to me because i built a crossmember to mount it on. Whereas if you wanted to use a particular year X frame from a later Ford, you may want the corresponding mount to suit it.

[​IMG]

4. roundvalley

roundvalley

Could it be an adapter for industrial drive, pump?

5. alchemy

alchemy

The OP's mount is the hard to find parts of a 32 through 36 mount. The rubber and steel plate are reproduced for those years and fit right into your cast part and the flat round backer plate. Good find! Those four special bolts pointing back are hard to find as we'll, so don't lose them.

The case might not be a real 39, but the guts from a 39 through 48 passenger can be put in there. Just need to find the kinda hard to find 39 top w/forks, or use a pickup top up to a 53.

6. The early style rear mount that you have is a bolt on swap in place of the '37-'48 rear mount. To determine the year of the transmission, clean off the flat spot at the top of the bell above the clutch inspection window and you will see the serial number of the vehicle it was originally installed in. Check that number against the listings at www.flatheadV8.com

7. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like it might be a 32 clutch arm there too. Nice find worth some bucks.

8. Fastcheck

Fastcheck
    from Alabama

9. 18-904436 is in the range of 1934 serial numbers. A '39 trans case has a 78- prefix on the part number on the back of the case. 78 means first used on '37 85 HP. That was the case used in '39. Not all '39 transmissions are the most desirable one--pickups and some Standards got the old style synchros. Measure the inside width of the second-high shift fork. If it's the desirable one, the fork will be a full 3" inside width and be marked 91A at the top of the horseshoe.

10. Fastcheck

Fastcheck
    from Alabama

11. Fastcheck

Fastcheck
    from Alabama

12. Fastcheck

Fastcheck
    from Alabama

13. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Sorry but that ain't a 39.. Probably 34 . Straight cut first/ reverse sliding gear and early type synchros. Not a fun box to use..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Fastcheck

Fastcheck
    from Alabama

So its not a 39 thats ok
    I can use it to get my car up and running
    Ride it around town with my son
    At the end of the day I got it for $75
    Im ok with that
    Thanks for the help

15. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Yup! Use it! It'll work fine as long as you shift slow and gentle..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

nice and easy to double clutch back to low gear though

17. Is the shift tower straight up vertical or does it lean back at an angle?The '33-'34 tower is angled back.

18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Might jump out of high ... check the teeth for the syncro sleeve on the clutch gear.

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

makes for a nice and easy setup in an Av8! use a 32 wishbone, center k member and bolt it all together! that's how my A-v8 and my 32 are done... the reason not many use the 32 mount as much is it is becoming harder to find the pieces you have!

20. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

The pieces on the rear of the transmission are the rear bearing retainer (with the four bolts and it appears the flat plate (next to the bearing) is also there. If you are using a pre 37 mount these pieces are necessary for the rubber and steel mount (all years reproduced ) that you are missing. The shifter for 32-35 is angled rearward, Yours is straight like the 36, 7 The internals are the early style syncro 32-38 and straight cut gears for 1st and reverse.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  21. Fastcheck

Fastcheck
    from Alabama

I was going to get a 46-48 mount and fab from there
    Revkev6 do you have any pics of you setup
    Sounds like that is the way to go
    Would I need a rubber insert for my trans mount or does it mount if I use a 32 wish bone and
    K member
    Thanks

22. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Interesting how all the early Ford V8 transmissions become '39s when they are for sale. Most of the better gearsets are '40 and beyond but wouldn't want to confuse the confused. There was a transmission on the Bay that was listed as a '39 with all new gears, went for way over $1000. That one even had the early synchros, but technically could have been a '39 at a stretch in that Ford probably used up all the old parts on the commercials and standards. Really felt sorry for that guy. Definitions are all over the place and often wrong, but certain minima can keep you on track while not really authentic. Not sure how many 18 or 48 case transmissions I bought. My budget really needed them to be something else. Luckily the T5 has taken the heat out of the trans market. Another opportunity to get the wrong thing. Good Luck: Fred A