Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Damn it! Ya'll are making me hungry!

falcongeorge likes this.
  2. Will the small amount of threads in the stainless half nut take the 65-85 ft-lbs of torque spec'd for the anchor pin nut? Also, kinda curious why you decided to retain the single side wheel cylinder on your new brakes.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, haven't Rich B. Just got in a hurry to paint them before the heat killed the possibility until about mid September, and forgot to cut the other bolt holes. I'll go back and do them very carefully. As far as the torque issue, I can't find any specs on what a thin plan form nut will take, that's kinda why I put that out there.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This is for Tfeverfred,or any that enjoy
    Remember it's a 1928"A",but back when I got the "A" body,the trunk had been run over by the farmers tractor from left rear to right rear across the rear axles,as a kid in 1958 I did not think I could fix that,so I cut the mess off and built my hotrod with what I had,it helped shape the design along with the super luck of getting 57 Thunderbird Y-V8 from my buddy Steve's dad who crashed hell out of his 57Ford. It dose have a little more room inside then the 23T my son an I built for him. You SBC guys don't be ragging on my old Ford"Y"block,she'll smoke the tires for the hole block too. photo 1.JPG rearView1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    brEad likes this.
  5. ^^^^^sweeeeeet^^^^^:)

dana barlow likes this.
  6. I just might be able to squeeze one of those steaks in after LARS 2015:D:D:D

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

8. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I like it, and I've got a beer keg just for something neato like this. A unique solution to a ragged trunk area and a little more room inside to boot. Cool. I don't hate SBC's, but I love seeing something besides one on an open hood rod.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I gotta make LARS2015 too. Probably already too late to get a room withing 100 miles of the place!

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I raced an won with my own SBCs for 40+years at the local oval track,but have always had a soft spot for my old "Y" n won with a few other"Y"s too way back.

Chip,I really like that front pan ya made for rad base,nice clean look in post #3020. Here in bottom photo is front spring mount cover my son an I did on his "Pandora" 23T.its powered by 350SBC
    DanasY.jpg IMG_0742.JPG

11. A Boner

A Boner

There are so many motels around Pomona, within a reasonable distance, that it should not be a problem....even after Jan. 2015.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Aboner. Where do some of you guys usually stay? Good places, places to stay away from? I used to go to SIR a lot for the Fallnats, usually stayed in Auburn, but was late making reservations one year, wound up in this place just south of Boeing, the gunfire started around 11pm, kept up till around 3, then tapered off sporadically...:rolleyes:

13. This year we found a reasonable hotel just a few miles from the fairgrounds and booked rooms a few weeks ahead of the weekend. I think I'm hooked now!

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

My group say they aren't going next year. Let me know where you and Chip are staying and I might get a room there too. There is a Motel 6 and a Red Roof Inn just a few blocks from the fairgrounds. I've stayed at both of them a few times.
    Gary

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I stay all over when I'm there, and rarely make a reservation before hand. The worst is the Motel 6 on south Gary, the nice being the Holiday Inn in Diamond Bar. There is a place over there that I have heard of but never managed to get into called the Kellogg Hotel that intrigues me.

But ya, hotels are no big deal over there...

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you guys want to, why dont we all book ahead and stay at the same place? I intend to hit the swap meet in a pretty serious way, so I wont be wheeling anything hamb friendly, but it might be fun. I'll check with hemideuce and see if he has booked a place for next year yet.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well guys, removing ugly has made it's way to my T Bucket. She's really a great T Bucket, but ONE thing has been bugging me for a looong time. You can see it in this photo, taken shortly after I had installed my new engine. I don't have a newer pic, but she's basically the same.

[​IMG]

See IT?! You don't even have to look hard! It's like a BIG zit on an other wise nice looking engine. IT'S THAT UGLY CHROME ALTERNATOR AND THAT HELLISH BRACKET!

See, a long while back, I was looking for an easy way to mount my alternator, but also easy to adjust belt tension. So, I ordered the bracket, but since it's chrome, I had to order a chrome alternator to keep everything tied together visually.

Well, the mission was accomplished and I was sorta happy with it visually. I mean, who doesn't kinda like chrome? But every time I saw or looked at my engine, that big ass, shiny alternator was staring back at me. Taunting me. Laughing at me. As good as it was, it was just out of place. But I was too stubborn, and cheap, to change it. That gold chainer alternator and bracket set me back some good coin.

So today, I discovered my the alternator wasn't charging. I promptly went to the parts store and bought a plain GM part. Then, I hit Speedway up for a bracket that will mount it low, like I used to have. Don't ask me where the old bracket, that I swore I kept, went. It'll show up, the day this new one arrives.:mad:

So, Wednesday afternoon, I'll be removing some ugly and I'll be eligible for membership in, "Anti-ugly T".

Phillips and dana barlow like this.
  18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And so it begins...

I have been taking a bunch of crap locally for talking about building a somewhat early sixties correct car with a long pump and modern bracket... I think that might be next on my personal hit list, too.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks! I like it, mainly because it has the "look" of what a youngster from the 50's would do. I also like the fact that the back end was smashed, but you figured out a way to make it work to your advantage. Great looking T/A.

whiplash1923T and dana barlow like this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

oh oh...
    do i offend 002.jpg

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Chip I'm talking about the Motel 6 on Arrow highway. Close convenient cheap and restaurants all around. I've stayed at a lot worse places including where we stayed by the Onterio airport this year.

23. Well greetings again guys and I too would like to say that this is the most interesting and friendliness thread here on the HAMB, JMHO, and although I don't add much, I check in once a day and sometimes more, so thanks guys for allowing me to sit at the back corner of Chips workshop taking it all in. I recently saw a photo that I will try to upload to here as I thought it would raise a comment or too. I know that it's application is totally different from a streetable engine but it certain has that wow factor.

Attached Files:

24. Now , how do you guys post big photo's why mine are all so small ?

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I use Photo Bucket.

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Whip it's pretty easy just click on make full size after you post your pictures.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Gary, I figured you were talking about that one. I WAS talking about the one on south Gary, right next to the 60, and it is definitely the ghetto! But I have stayed there and had a good time, and surprisingly never had any of my cars messed with.

Whiplash1923T, If you are posting form pictures within your computer, which is what I do. Right before you hit "post", look down at the little pictures of your pictures. With the new system, there will two little boxes that say "post as thumbnail" or "post as full sized pict" Click on the full sized one and let it load.... Done.

whiplash1923T likes this.
  28. Gary, I went to Barnes and Noble last night to pick one up, and they had about 30. I can pick a few up for you if you want more?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Funny Fred my chrome generator hanging high and out is kool but your alternator is ugly and needs to be SANY0092.jpg hidden low and close to the engine. Am I wrong or is this just the way it is. I don't know maybe you '60s guys need to embrace your alternators. Or maybe not. They look pretty kool low and close to the engine.

daddio211 and dana barlow like this.
  30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for thinking of me but I bought two. One to keep nice and one to wear out showing off to friends and they are getting pretty sick of me bragging.

dana barlow likes this.