Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Diy electronic voltage regulator etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Humph7ey, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Humph7ey

Humph7ey

I would like to convert my stock '48 Pontiac to 12v keeping the original generator together with an electronic regulator which I would like to assemble myself within the original can.
    *Can I use the same armatures?
    *Are the field coils for the '55 the same fit? (Delco)
    *Any circuit diagrams?
    *Anything else I should be aware of?
    All suggestions will be most welcome.
    Humphrey (in France)

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm not an electronic expert but I can tell you my experience with FORD generators. To convert a 6V Ford generator to 12Vs all that is necessary is 12V field windings on the 6V generator. I just disassembled the 6V gen. and reassembled it using the body from a 64 Ford generator. I used a garden variety VR and It works just fine. On the Ford system everything is 6V except the field windings and the VR. I personally don't care for electronic VRs JMHO

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I don't know if the do-it-yourself part of the job is important to you, but within one manufacturer like Delco/GM the common 1950's generators and regulators are nearly indistinguishable. From overseas you really can't measure and plot differences, but I think you would be pretty safe ordering a '55-7 Pontiac or Chevy alternator. You can then just swap the case with coils or, most likely, the whole thing...most GM cars used the same 2-tab mounting.
    I believe your belt on the '48 will be the wide sort, and so you just keep that with whatever you do.
    On the regulator, a '55 12V cover will almost certainly interchange with what you have and the regulator will likely screw into the same holes. '
    I believe some modern manufactured regulators for 1950's and 1960's cars are now solid state, but I don't know anything about what is out there. In any case, the original regulator likely has enough room for whatever you invent.

5. Humph7ey

Humph7ey

I am thinking of getting an alternator to fit the original case which is 4" diameter inside. I could get one of those look a like locally. I did see a project where someone had done that. Can someone find the link?