Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine swap 55 tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BILL1955THUNDERBIRD, Mar 17, 2011.

1. BILL1955THUNDERBIRD

BILL1955THUNDERBIRD
    from MARYLAND

I purchased a 1955 tbird in 2010 that was almost all original and already
    I have lowered it and installed front disc breaks and custome wheels .Now I want ti install a later model 302 that I purchased fro somone I know .
    My questions are does anyone know what I will nedd to do to make it work ? I assume the engine and trans mounts ,headers, driveshaft and
    shifter will all have to be changed .Can anyone tell me of a good source for information with this kind of a engine and trans swap ?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Need to do an intro at the very top of the page first!

3. FC49

FC49

My fuzzy recollection is that the T-bird Y-block had a single front engine mount, and a trans mount, with non-load-bearing torque rods that bolted to the bosses on the sides of the block. The 'bird frame was narrower than the sedan and there was no room for conventional side mounts. The 302 may be small enough so side mounts can be fitted. I think the T-bird Y-block had a rear sump, so that may have to be changed on the 302 if it's a front sump pan. I ran into similar issues way back when I wanted to drop a 390 into a 1957 Bird. The 302 swap would certainly be worth doing and would give the car what it never had originally, decent power.

Frank C.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man, your recollection of 312s not having 'decent power' is fuzzy indeed.
    Even heavier passenger cars with 312 Y blocks ran 'respectfully'.

5. chris55

chris55

Plenty of room for sidemounts. My wifes 56 had a 390 in it when we bought it. The mounts were made with a flat plate on the inside of the frame, with a piece of 2" tubing welded on running up to a plate on the side of the engine. The only thing is, you have to have a rear sump pan. The transmision used the stock crosmember in the stock location. If you are going to use the stock third member be very careful, they have a reputation for being weak. Do yourself a favor and put a new wiring harness in it, as the stock harness does not have a fuse block, only fusible links.

Good luck with your build, and please do an intro.

6. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

recently finished this swap with a 302efi and aod. crossmember was a big issue, as well as a new driveshaft, pan, being a front sump interferred with the tie rods,easy side mount fabrication motor mounts, stock headers interferred with steering box but with alittle massaging it cleared just enough. a very nice looking engine in the bird, but if it had been mine,(did it for a friend), would have left the original engine and trans. just my 2 cents worth.