Register now to get rid of these ads!

Woodill Wildfire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Destralo Roach, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

A guy at work has a Woodill Wildfire car, it is one of the few Fiberglass cars built in the 50's by small timers, his car might have been ownd by the actor "danny Kaye" (David Daniel Kaminsky) My Google fu sucks, trying to get some confiermation if Danny Kay did own one, other wise a great car, his will be back on the road one day....Roach.

2. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Don't know, but I like the looks of the Wildfire.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

I know a couple of folks who own them. Actually, my cousin has one...He's had it for a long time. There is a ton of documentation on them, if you spend some time on researching them. Nice looking cars...

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Guy in Idaho Falls stuffed a 392" Imperial in one of those, with a T-85 OD & 3.00 rear axle ... said it should go a little over 200 but didn't know ...

5. Did Woodill use Glasspar bodies ? Looks a lot like my late friend's car and his body came from the boat folks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. He Drove one in a movie but don't know if he owned it.

For not the demise of Willys, this car might have gone into full production, but Woody made only about 10 factory cars and the rest he sold as kits. A fully assembled factory car initially sold for $3,260 and, as a kit, the body cost $995 and the frame $228. He attempted to market the production car worldwide and succeeded in having the Wildfire featured in three movies; "Johnny Dark" with Tony Curtis and Piper Laurie, "Knock on Wood" with Danny Kaye and "Written on the Wind" with Dorothy Malone and Rock Hudson. Woody Woodill finally closed down Wildfire production in 1958 after selling about 100 cars, all bodies provided by Glasspar.

7. Yes.

For not the demise of Willys, this car might have gone into full production, but Woody made only about 10 factory cars and the rest he sold as kits. A fully assembled factory car initially sold for $3,260 and, as a kit, the body cost $995 and the frame $228. He attempted to market the production car worldwide and succeeded in having the Wildfire featured in three movies; "Johnny Dark" with Tony Curtis and Piper Laurie, "Knock on Wood" with Danny Kaye and "Written on the Wind" with Dorothy Malone and Rock Hudson. Woody Woodill finally closed down Wildfire production in 1958 after selling about 100 cars, all bodies provided by Glasspar.

8. fms427

fms427

While Wildfire bodies were made by Glaspar, they were styled somewhat differently. There was a Series One and a Series Two, but both used Willys Aero taillights, among other things. Here is a picture of a Series Two "Johhny Dark" clone. I'm currently building one with a Buick nailhead - will post when I get a little more done !!

Go to Geoff Hackers site www.forgottenfiberglass.com for MUCH more info.

Attached Files:

9. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Yeah, I found all that in my search, Dudes got the seris two with the Glaspar G2 frame, Danny Kaye was suposed to live up here in WA out in Spokane and own a couple of radio stations, previous owner raced this car and stripped it down, took off the door tage that had Dannys name in it, all that is lost due to his divorce!!! So the curant owner is having a hell of a time trying to conneck Danny with the car, Any help would be apreciated........Roach.

10. 36C8

36C8

<<<<<< Who'd drive that junk? :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  11. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wasn't there a post here on the HAMB about a Woodhill chassis that was found in a barn basement? Factory build if I recall correctly, never had a boddy installed.

13. fms427

fms427

Yeah, I bought it for my build :).......Here is a before - becoming after photo :D...

Attached Files:

14. fms427

fms427

Roach - back to topic..... I have done a lot of research, and have seen nothing on Kaye except the movie. Try a PM to Geoff Hacker ( thats his handle) - he is perhaps the foremost expert on old cars fiberglass. If anyone can tell you, he can - or could tell you where else to look....

15. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Guys..

Glad to help in any way.

Checkout our website at www.forgottenfiberglass.com There's lots of info on the cars. I'm friends with both the Tritt family who produced Glasspar and the Woodill family who made the Wildfire. Lots of other folks too from that era. Danny Kaye did not own one, but he did drive one in a movie. There was only one Woodill made for the movie. That information comes directly from Chuck Tatum - good friend and driver of one of the 8 movie cars used in Johnny Dark in 1954.

Checkout the website, and let me know if you need help. My e-mail is on the website too.

Thanks for the kind words from Stan and maybe Tony St. Clair too

Best..

Geoff

16. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Cool, thanks for the info, I was on your site, great place, I wonder if dudes car was the one from the movie? Guy who sold it to him could Have been full of it to!

17. Dave_D

Dave_D
    from NY

Hey, that looks a little better than when it left my garage! It looks like it cleaned up pretty good, too. I can't wait to see more pictures.

18. Here's one I took a photo of at Island Dragway in NJ probably in 1962 or '63. As I recall it was from Connecticut and was running a blown SBC.

Attached Files:

19. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Rich...

This is a really neat picture. It's not what you think. It's a series 1 wildfire - one I've never seen before. There are only 2 known to exist and the history of both does not coincide with this car. So...there may have been 3 made. This is really neat. Here's a website to show you the difference between the Series 1 and 2 Wildfires:

http://www.fiberglasssportscars.com/Wildfire_Wildfire/Woodill_Wildfire.htm

Can you contact me about your photo? I may want to feature it in our book - if that's ok with you. E-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 813-888-8882.

Thanks!

Geoff Hacker

20. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I have an old Wildfire sales flyer. They were the ones who said "if you can change a spark plug you can build our car". Hmmm? It is for the body style without the cutdown doors.

21. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Oldebob..

Can you scan it or take a photo of it and post it here? It's hard to tell with these low production cars if we have copies of all the sales literature.

Thanks if you can help..

Geoff

22. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Yah, saying you have something and finding it are two different things. Sorry it took a while. Hope you can get it readable. Screwed up and posted extra pic but story is interesting

Attached Files:

23. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Bob..

Great stuff and thanks for posting these. While we do have copies of the Wildfire info, I am intrigued by the "Hot Rod" story from 1947. That's early! Where did that appear? What publication?

Thanks for any help you can provide and talk soon.

Geoff

24. I got a 425 Nailhead sitting in the garage and I would drive one for sure. Especially a Victress S4.

25. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Roach...I meant to ask if you can hook me up with the Wildfire owner. I've been putting together the group of owners for the past 2 years, and may or may not know your friend. Hope you can help. Geoff

26. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I think thats the earliest I've seen. I posted that on 40's period hot rods thread. It came from a '47 issue of Model Craftsman mag. Besides trains and airplanes they also covered gas powered tether and rail cars. The car Troy Ruttman is holding sold for $42.00 LESS the engine. A lot of money then! My comment was that there were probably some guys running real cars at El Mirage that didn't cost them that much minus engine. The fellow that wrote the article was a builder of some of the faster So. Cal minature gas racers of the day. I believe Roy Ritchner of Bell Auto Parts was heavily involved in those also.

27. Nicholson

Nicholson

This is the car that I worked on a few years back for one of my customers. The car is owned by Creative Interiors. More pictures on their site. http://www.creative-interiors.com

If I remember correctly this one had a Jaguar engine. I was told it was one of the cars used in the movie.

Attached Files:

28. 36C8

36C8

Mine is waiting for the 354 to be re-built.

29. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Working on it as per PM....Nice cars, cant afford one myself, just trying to get back into the whole car/truck sene..........Long story.

30. From Wally Bell...Richard Higley's AM/SP Willys Wildfire..built / driven by Chuck Lane..Endicott NY
    Cool, clean, fast car

( Chuck is the tall guy in the picture) <!-- / message -->

Thanks to Wally for the owner ID and location. Isn't Endicott close to CT?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2010