Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody else use an OHC-6 Pontiac motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Geeto67, May 22, 2009.

1. Geeto67

Geeto67

So I have this motor, a 1967 Pontiac OHC-6 left over from a car that is long gone. It has about 60K original miles on it and ran great before we pulled it (except for a noisey rocker which is why I pulled it).

I am thinking I want to stuff it into a T, maybe even a kit depending on what's around, but I am just trying to get some ideas and see if anybody else has used this motor for anything.

For those who have used this motor....are the engine mounts the same as for a v-8 pontiac?

2. DrJ

DrJ

Tex Smith has one in his "Dollar a Pound" A roadster.

3. Black Primer

Black Primer

I don't know anything about these motors, but they sure are cool looking. A guy out here has one laying on its side in the dirt in his salvage yard. Looks like its been there for years...too bad.

4. missysdad1

missysdad1

Those OHC-6s are runnin' motor scooters, especially when fitted with Sprint carb, cam and exhaust! A college buddy of mine had a new Tempest Sprint with a 4-speed and it would run right along with most smallblocks. Great choice for a hot rod, especially a light one! :eek:

5. Use it for two reasons. Really rather rare and They go like stink.

6. The Wizard!

The Wizard!

The Sport version came with a quadrajet on it! Not a bad engine but they need to be kept clean inside. If it was never done it needs to have a bit of length trimmed off of the bottom of the dipstick tube to get it up away from the oil! I worked on a bunch of in a Pontiac dealership back when.

7. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

In 67 I had the Sprint version... Street raced ^ drag raced the living hell out of that motor. Cheater slicks with 4:56s shifted @ 6500. Never had any problems...
    Pontiac Slim

8. Geeto67

Geeto67

The motor I have came in a 1967 4 door Tempest I bought in 2006 an estate sale from the original 90 year old blue haired lady. it had 63,000 on it and ran like a top. It was also 90% rust free with just a little bubbling under the paint in the right rear quarter. The tempest was actually sold at the same dealership by the same salesman as my 1967 GTO, almost a month later to the day (I had all the paperwork).

I saw about 25 mpg fuel economy on the highway with a turbine 200 and a ped leg 2-sumpthin axle. In early 2007 one of the rocker arms began tapping (I have been told this is common). I began pricing out the parts to fix it when a freshly rebuilt '68 250 ci sprint OHC6 came up on ebay for $200. I slapped that motor in and it ran fantastic. In 2008 a buddy's girlfriend made me an offer on the car I couldn't refuse and when she bought it she told me to just throw out the original engine......but I couldn't.

I was looking at it the other day and I have a m21 4speed out of a 67 GTO with pontiac bell housing, the 3 speed auto that was backing that '68 250 sprint (turbine 300?) and the motor, and I was thinking I really need to do something with this. Only thing is I don't have a car to put it into so I was looking for some sugestions.

9. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Back in the early 70s I had a Jaguar XK-150 coupe towed in with a blown engine. The owner, a VERY attractive young lady, could not afford a replacement engine. A Pontiac OHC-6 ended up under the hood. The car ran great and she was appreciative. 'Nuff said.
    This is an engine I would swap into a lot of different cars. Good powerplant.

10. There are plenty of cars that it would be perfect in... I think a 60s style RPU (like Jimmy White's) or turtledeck T roadster would rule. Set it off with pinner whites or even redline tires on slotted chrome wheels. Don't try to put in in a 50s style build.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Had a Tempest Sprint with a quadrajet OHC 6 and 4 speed. I slipped a 4.56 posi rearend I had laying around in it and had fun beating up on 327's before someone offered me too much for it. I always thought it would make a sweet mill for a RPU or an A sedan with the firewall moved back and the seat behind the B pillar, Altered style.

Frank

12. PM Kruzer63. He has one in a 53 Pontiac and a real wild five carbbed one in a Model A.

13. My guess is they use the same mounts as a Chevy 230/250.

I base that on seeing once a '67-8 Firebird ragtop in a junkyard, where when I opened the hood I found a plain ol' 250 with a Chevrolet script valve cover replacing a presumably long-ago blown OHC-6, and vague memories that the OHC was based on that same block.

14. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

I had a sprint 6 in my hotrod. Looked bitchen untill I had to junk it.:mad: f-n cam and the pump drive.

15. Babyearl

Babyearl

I have two of those engines,, was thinking one would look good in my 47 Chev sedan delivery. Just for grins.

16. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Back in the mid to-late '70's a buddy and I swapped out the stock 230 Chevy 6
    and 3 speed w/OD in his '66 Studebaker sedan and replaced it with a 4-bbl 250 OHC Pontiac 6 and 4 speed Saginaw from a wrecked '69 Firebird Sprint. It was practically a bolt in and the car went like stink. He even used the stock Pontiac 2-piece split exhaust manifolds and by replacing the stock Pontiac '2 into 1' head pipe with two separate custom fabbed head pipes dumping into pair of glass packs, and 2 tail pipes exiting just in front of the back axle, he created a true and very sweet sounding dual exhaust system. On the street he surprised a lot V8s and won a bit of money with his "Honest, it's just a 6 cylinder" Stude!

mart
    =============================================================

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  17. monsterflake

monsterflake

superfriend mark has one, with a weber carb setup and a 4-speed in his pro street/tubbed 68 firebird. he also has a full set of polished real wheel (halibrand style) sprints in 15x6 and 15x12. if he could just finish it up, it would be freakin' cool...

18. JCShiels

JCShiels

Back in the late 60's or early 70's Hot Rod did a series called "Exploring an Altered" where a group of Explorer Scouts built an altered powered by a SOHC Pontiac 6. If I remember correctly they built the engine with a 292 Chev 6 crank.

19. Tator

Tator

I bought a Clifford 6=8 Intake that will fit the Pontiac 250 at a swap meet this spring. (Won't fit on the Chevy 250!!) It's for sale if interested?

20. boldventure

boldventure

Dressed up they look NIZZZE;)

Attached Files:

21. ken1939

ken1939

I knew a guy that had one in his tempest, and needed a cam. They werent exactly easy to get and this is only 4 years ago. my two cents.

Otherwise its neat just like the 194 for "different"

22. The Wizard!

The Wizard!

The Cam and followers and lifters were the only real problem with them, It would need to be in an open engine compartment so it could be seen!

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

Road tests from the 60's on the 215 hp version of the OHC 6 list 1/4 mile times in the Mid 16's and zero to 60 about 9 seconds.This sounds pretty slow today ,a kid in Neon would be a formidable opponent,but if you spent time at tracks then or read a lot of old road test,many supposed muscle V-8 cars had trouble brwaking into the 15 second 1/4 mile.Many of these cars were tuned by the manufacturers to look good in magazine road tests,but the shit tires back then used to go up in smoke pretty easily.

24. Spity

Spity

I have a 283 v8 in my '63 nova wagon, its all stock internally but with a cam, headers, 4 barrel, and proper tuning with a th350 and 3.73 posi. It runs high 13's. I ran a sprint 6 firebird at the track - I won but I didnt look so hot doing it. :eek: Im on the look out for a running one.

25. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Rebuild kits for the Pontiac OHC-6 are available through Kanter Auto Products.

www.kanter.com

If I remember correctly, I think they may even offer the Sprint-spec cam. If not, contact the Pontiac-Oakland Club International and look into their OHC-6 chapter. You might be able to locate used speed parts through them.

By the way, the bottom end of the OHC-6 were based on the OHV-6 Chevy motor of the same vintage, so cranks, rods and pistons interchange.

26. Got an original 4-barrell engine hangin around the shop just haven't found the right home for it yet !! >>>>.

27. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

That would be a different type of hot rod engine not used much, different without being wtf weird.
    My buddy has a Pontiac OHC Q-jet intake if you are interested.

M. McF.

28. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Does he have the split exhaust manifold to go with it? If he has both, I might be interested!

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

lots of good stuff on these when you google. ain't the interweb cool?

[​IMG]