Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects saved the starchief from jaws of smasher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Nov 2, 2011.

1. davidh73750

davidh73750

I found this car sometime ago but never saw anyone around it. Then this summer the owner was outside one day and made a deal with him. he was smoking outside went in and got a receipt him. He and his wife both on oxygen. It was a record heat summer and a broke down F150 was behind it so I said I'd come after it in a few months. He sent the f 150 to junkyard and the junker was wanting this car too.
    Nothing really special just a 4 door. Floor and trunk are clean, 389, 400 trans, ac. I dig the dash. speed indicator and the bright light is a pontiac chief head. When I see cars like this though not worth a lot I feel for people up north in the mid rust don't get the opportunities for iron laying around like this. Or its my way of negotiating, rationalizing another car brought home.
    tune up, duals, tires and 1.5 coils out of each corner and its a cruiser. The old man said it was parked because of a leaky fuel line.

Attached Files:

2. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

People who shun 4 doors do so for 3 reasons: Low self esteem forces them to be part of the "In" crowd, only look at it as a cash cow, or innocently enough just prefer 2 doors. The latter, I have no problem with. The former types really cheat themselves out of good cars!
    The way I see it - your car has made it 40-odd years and is in that shape? It DESERVES to be a cruiser! ROCK ON!

3. davidh73750

davidh73750

It would be a great long distance runner to LSR or KKOA big and comfy. trunk is huge If those guys I met at hunnert from up north decide to fly down to OKC for Lonestar round up they can drive it down

4. Biothree

Biothree

I bought a brand new 1965 Starchief from van Winkle Pontiac. I wanted a GTO but we had two boys so I decided to to the "family thing" and bought the Starchief witha two barrel. It was a great road car. My friend bought a '65 Fairlane 2 door with the hot 289 and 4 speed. He could hardly stand it when I beat him in a quarter.

5. dmikulec

dmikulec

Nice! :cool: There's one of these, same color too just up the road from me, hidden behind no trespassing signs and a old Chevy pickup. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to knock on his door... or simply wait for the Estate Sale.

BTW: my current project is mordor, that would have wound up being parted out and sold for scrap if I hadn't of come along. Solid, affordable vintage iron isn't exactly common or plentyful around here, so I tend to look beyond the number of doors a car has, to see the potential from every possible angle. Good luck with yours. :cool:

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like those, I made a lot of money working on the front ends and aligning them. Great driving road cars too.
    You want to make sure that the timing gear has been changed for a steel one as those plastic gears that came with that engine go to hell in a hand basket at between 60 and 90K.

7. davidh73750

davidh73750

What was the engine color originally. Part of it looks orange like maybe a head has been off. I ll have to check the timing cover has 98K miles

8. Factory engine paint on these is light blue.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, they were blue.

[​IMG]

Pontiacs of that era were absolutely great cars. I had a 57, a 63 Bonneville convertible, two 66 GTO's (one tripower 4 speed) and a 66 Bonneville Brougham. Every one was about as good as they come.

Nice find on that 65, it is well worth saving.

Don

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

rock that car! lower it & drive it. life long pump jack lover,i will not bore you with along list,but i will say the 65-67 battle barges will go down the road like a dream,spent plenty of seat time in a 67 Catalina.
    damn -the memories.......