Register now to get rid of these ads!

Height of a 50 olds convertible windshield? For 52 Chevy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52carsontop, Nov 2, 2011.

1. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Long story short bought a 52 chevy that someone cut the top off of. Going to build a carson top for it and now is the time to chop the windshield. Problem is I can not find anyone local to do this. I was told that it has a Olds windshield in it now but have no clue from which Olds model it came from. I have heard from doing research on here that the Olds convertible windshields were the shortest.

Does anyone have any dimensions of one? Even if it is a inch shorter than mine I will buy one. Just think the windshield is to high and don't want to waste time building a carson top if I don't like the height to begin with.

2. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

What model was the car before it was chopped...that will narrow it down for those that know what is interchangeable

3. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

It was a 52 chevy deluxe.

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

2 door sedan? Coupe? Hard Top?

5. modelamac

modelamac

I can check my '49 Olds convertible when I go home for lunch today...
    '49 is a 2 piece windshield, and the 50's were one piece. I think they should measure the same though. will that work for you?

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

convertible/hardtop windshields do not have the same curve to them as the "post" cars. I had the same plan as you (but with a top) I thought I was going to give it a 2" chop and a convertible windshield.

convertibles are 2" shorter, Fleetlines are 1" shorter compared to coupes and sedans.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good info. I get asked this question all the time. I didn't know Fleetline was unique.

('50s-'60s Fords have only 2 variations; converts/hardtops are one, Coupes/sedans are another)

Recall Chevy pickups (1935?) Two models of cabs were available: one with standard height top, the other with 'streamlined' top. 2" factory chop, same year. (and a commercial model!)

8. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Sorry guys it was a 2 door chevy deluxe sedan. Having to refab the top of the windshield frame and figured while I was in that area if there's a shorter windshield I might as well switch it out and chop the frame.

49rat, so the vert/hardtops will not fit the curve of the 52 chevy windshield frames? Do you know if the fleetline would have the correct curve?

Thanks guys!

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would assume the fleetline is the same curve, but don't know for sure. though there may be some other difference that would keep this from being a swap without having to modify either the glass or the windshield frame.

10. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Ok thanks, I'm cool with modifying the frame just don't want to mess with the windshield.

11. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

I would assume the bottom of all the windshields (chevy)would be the same so it you were fabbing a new top frame you could do so to fit whatever glass you wanted that was shorter than what u have now...might need to adjust the a pillars too

12. 49-52 GM (49-52 Chevy/Pontiac all, 49-51 Olds 76 and 88) small body windshields are as follows:

Styline (notch back) 2dr, 4dr, coupe, and sedan delivery are one;
    Fleetline 2dr and 4dr are another;
    Hardtop and Convertible a third;
    and Station Wagons are still a fourth.

As a further note, outside of front clips most body panels interchange for matching body styles, the quarter panels have some differences. And the front clip itself will mate at the cowl, but the Olds and Pontiac have a 4 1/2" longer wheelbase all in the nose. Frames are all completely different, though, no suspension or mechanical parts interchange except in some instances wheel bearings.

Presumably yours was a Styline of some sort initially, as a Fleetline looks rather awkward with the top cut off, although I have seen where idiots in the past have done that.

Given you're building a top for it, just make new shorter side glass - it probably needs it anyways since there were door posts - and make the top chopped but to fit the original windshield frame. Having sat in my own Fleetline, I'm not sure I'd want the windshield any shorter than it is now.

13. modelamac

modelamac

here is what I got....
    just quick measurements I done at lunch.

Hope this helps.... If you need something more detailed PM me.

Attached Files:

14. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i know the chevy hardtop glass is 16-1/2" at the center.if that helps. check with your local glass guy to see if he can cut down your existing glass.

15. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Hey modelamac, thanks so much for that diagram. Going to check out the car tomorrow and do more research. Thanks again!

16. Hollandar can be your freind