Register now to get rid of these ads!

i need the right windshield seal (shoebox)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ford/60thunderbird, Nov 1, 2011.

1. ok saturday i accidently smashed my driverside half of my shoeboxs windshield ...ssso.. i opened up my dennis carpenter catalog to order a new seal just to find out that shoeboxs have a couple of different seals i need to know which i need

my car has stainless window trim appearently there were two different trim styles one with 2 grooves and one with 1 groove can you tell which is which without taking the windshield out of the car ?

i tried to do this the easy way by posting this question over at shoeboxford.com and all im getting is a run-a-around as usuall

any help is allways appreciated

2. My 2010 catalog has a real detailed drawing of both styles of trim and S.S. and how they fit. The photo should also be on there web site. My older catalog does not have the drawing in it. It's a little hard to describe but a big difference in the 2 styles. If you have a single groove trim it just hangs loose on the edge away from the glass. The double groove tucks back in the rubber on both edges of the trim. 49 was only single groove.
    The Wizzard

3. Call Chris at shoeboxford.com -he will in person help you out. He has helped me many times with my shoebox ford. There is NOBODY in this hobby more willing to help than Chris!

4. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

you would think if youre trying to delete the stainless trim you would just get the one without the trim...?
    is it not that easy? mine needs the WS seal replaced as well. let me know what you come up with.
    Raf

5. im not trying to delete my stainless

the carpenter catalog i have shows two sideview cutaways of the seal and it appears that the single groove trim does touch the glass as pist-n -broke says and the 2 groove doesnt touch the glass my seal has abit of rubber above the seal so does that mean i have the 2 groove trim ?

im just trying to get the right seal ,and im probably making it harder then it is

6. The trim does not touch the glass on either type. There is rubber between the trim and glass. Just the outter edge hangs exposed from the rubber on single groove style instead of a return on S.S. into the rubber.
    The Wizzard

7. [​IMG]
    i no im probbably making a mountain out of a mole hill but
    this is the best pic i have i can take better can anyone tell from this pic which trim i have ?

8. Photos probably won't do it. Try this. From the outside edge of the trim if you can slide a .010 feeler gauge under the trim close to the full width of the trim (like 5/8") you have single groove trim. If the feeler gauge stops about 1/8" under the edge you most likely have double groove trim. Being the glass is broken you need to remove it anyway. Why not just do it and be sure?
    The Wizzard

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

For what it's worth - with either stainless style , as far as I know , you can't get just one side of the windshield seal - it's all one piece . Got a seal sitting in the shop ready to install in a shoebox right now .

10. buddy, yes im aware its all one seal (by right i meant correct)

ill try the feeler guage tip thanks

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

This silly language of ours w/the double meanings & stuff , LOL !! The way it was worded had me thrown .

As for the double vs. single groove deal , just slide one of your joiner pieces (the little 2-inch trim piece that covers the gap in the 2 stainless pieces) to the side & look at the profile of the main stainless piece . Easy as pie !

12. If I remember correctly the center divider bar covers the ends top and bottom, not a slip on clip. Removing the 3 screws that holds that part can be a problem right out of the gate. I've learned to grind the head off the screws with a counter sink bit and get the pieces apart then deal with the screw shank in the threaded boss.
    The Wizzard

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Ah , yea , I think you're right . I was thinking about the rear seal that has the slider . Taking the vertical trim off should give the same result , seeing the profile of the trim .