Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banger Crank bolt hole repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lazlobassett, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Well, Hanging around this place makes me feel like a total punter but today I might have someting useful to contribute ( or for folks who know actual stuff to laugh at).

Let me start by saying I am not, never been, never will be a real machinist.

I bought a stroked B model with a vintage OHV conversion recently. I got it home and drank beer around it as I always do when I get something new and interesting. Upon pulling out the flywheel bolts from the crank I saw one very bad hole.

I thought it too bad/big for a Heli Coil and found E-Z LOK inserts, they are larger in diameter and come in different diameters depending on how messed up your hole/threads are.

I figured I could get a piece of plate steel, mill the bolt & dowel pin pattern into it and recess it just like the flywheel. Then use a mag drill to bore the hole for the insert. I used a center cutting end mill for that as there was very little room between the crank flange and the rear main seal.

I used a regular tap to start threading the hole and then went back with a bottom tap. I used green loc tite on the insert even though the insert came with a red blob of locker stuff, the green always makes me feel good.

On the boring plate I put 2 extra holes when I milled the pattern in for 2 more bolts, which I hear is a common modification for hopped up bangers.

I think it'll be all set now, just have to bore the new holes and grind the insert down. Then I'll be putting it into my '31 Roadster.

I'm not sure if this is the bestest way to do this repair but I think it'll work for me.

One thing I'd ask opinions on, I paid well for this motor thinking it was bolt in and go. It was certainly not that. The guy I got it from has been pretty good so far with words but what would you ask for in compensation for this? Initially I was thinking I'd have to pull the crank and ship it off to the machine shop, which I think I could have done reasonably and expected him to pick up the tab. I have some hours into it, an end mill & misc smalls.

Your thoughts on that subject?

Cheers!

Matt

Attached Files:

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My thought is that it is what comes with the territory. So you had to repair a thread. It made you feel good to do a good job of it. And if that is the only thing you find your are way ahead of me and my stuff.

3. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Well, You might be right about that but when I sell someting and represent it to be ready to go, I expect a bit more ching and also expect to pay a bit more ching when I buy like that. My thoughts are that what I bought isn't what was represented, That is a problem. If you accept buying what isn't represented then...well i'm not sure what to say about that, but I don't do it that way. Nor do I sell that way. It IS a problem.

4. Its a pretty shitty thing but man, its only one thread. You've got an OHV B Banger engine sitting there for gods sake. If you don't want it your welcome to crate it up and ship it to me instead.

5. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Sure but if I didn't have a few thousands of doallars of tools and a little skill where would I be for my 6k? That doesn't just fall out of the sky these days or at least not around here. Where would you be if you dropped 6k, drove for 20 hours straight and found that? yes, I like the motor, thats why I bought it, but that is a ready to go price, or I think it is. mebbe I'm not thinking right?

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I agree with you. If you pay top dollor for a top dollor item, it should be just that. If you bought it from someone who does it as a buisness take it back, if a private party just forget it. It aint worth the hassel for 75 bucks, just dont trust the guy, or give him some shit about it. It wasnt hard for you to fix obviously. Its fun anyways right.

7. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Yep, decided I'm going to just let it go so long as it runs well. It's an awesome motor, I seriously doubt you could build it for what I bought it for and it was fun to fix. I just get upset at first , then think & calm down.

I've attached a picture of the crank end now with 6 threaded holes and a drawing fo todays project, attack the flywheel.

Attached Files:

8. I say nice repair and making improvements. One thing I did not hear mentioned, did the seller know about this? He may have not known, just giving him benefit of the doubt. It does suck you had to do the repair, but it might be best to just let it go than the hassle of trying to get any partial refund.

9. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Flywheel machine work is done, came out really nice. Pix tomorrow. it is down to 34 pounds, not bad for a weekend diet !

10. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Here it is, before and after. Today I need to order a new ring gear and pilot bearing for it.
    Also a motor pic & 1 of the patient.

The 5 speed conversion kit came last week, that will be getting painted today.

Attached Files:

11. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I picked up 5 16" spoked wheels, they are going off to the powder shop and Saturday at teh Pumpkin Run, I got a really nice set of front fenders without the wells, going to loose the side mounts. It is evolving!