Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How well to bangers really go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A BONED, Oct 31, 2011.

1. A BONED

A BONED

I recently bought a 29 roadster from a fellow HAMBer. It's just landed today in Port Melbourne, Australia all the way from Culver City CA. I have to wait 7-10 days for it to clear Customs before I get my hands on it. The roadster has a hopped up model B banger up front.
    Never driven a banger powered Rod before and was hoping to hear from people that know these engines well for some input. The banger build breaks down as follows:

Model B block up 0.040'
    Cast iron high comp Winfield head
    Counterweighted crank
    Lightened flywheel
    Winfield R cam
    Dual Windfield SR carbs on a Rajo intake
    Hallock header

There more to it but that's the important stuff. It's backed up with a 32 V8 3 speed toploader to a 3.54 geared model A banjo rear. How well should this thing go? I'm not expecting to break land speed records but can I bank on it going okay, or will it be a slug? Thanking you guys in advance.

Attached Files:

2. From what I see and what you've described, I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

3. Mate they're crap....how about I swing by and relieve you of that cast iron lump ?

Rat

4. That's a neat car and will be fun to drive! What are the tire sizes?

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

we generally (when referring to the venerable banger motor) don't like to say "haul's ass" or "really gets gone". We just say what the oldtimers use to say about a hotted-up four cylinder- "Goes like stink" and that always seemed to say it all. I believe from the photos you've provided that you'll hear that a lot.

dj

6. A BONED

A BONED

Hey Cactus1,
    The wheels are 32 Ford 18 inch, 6.50-18 Firestone piecrusts on the rear and 5.50-18 Excelsiors up front. I think the rears are around 30' tall from memory.

7. 31modelo

31modelo

That 29 is perfect

8. Thanks!

9. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

I had a '29 roadster with almost the same mods as yours (but with a V8 flywheel whittled down to 18 lbs.) . It had the stock 3.78 rear gears and would outrun most AV8's from zero to about 50 MPH. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised ! I was.

10. Ice man

Ice man

I ran a B with a Lion Head and some goodies which included a T-5 5 speed trany and Hi gears in the rear. Did she run, YES very well. You will be surprised, just don't beat it. Mine had rod bearing problems because of the mountain hills and the Hi rear gears. I sent the crank to the States to get it drilled for full pressure and it was well over a year to get it back. In the mean time, I installed a 2.5 AMC 4banger/5 speed in the mean time and now the B is just about ready to go back in. Iceman

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Well it's a 4 cylinder but it's not one of those peanut motors. Have you ever driven a 4 cylinder car before? Yes? Well it goes like that but with more torque. Less gear shifting needed. It will wind out if you want it to.

Not as fast as a V8 but cooler and more fun.

12. woodypecker

woodypecker

I never had a B but it was easy to double the hp of an A from 40 to 80 and with over 200 cubic inches in the old days some were faster than a flathead 8. Think 3.3 litre four in a modern car.

13. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Wow, great car. 3:54 gears will get you your top end. Very cool car.

14. Saw that car in Street Rodder (or at least I think I did). Beautiful! Good score......
    Bangers are fun to drive and I imagine that one will put a smile on your face.
    When it clears, let us know!

This IPhone app is the schiznizzle!

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Damn fine ride. Lucky bastard

16. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Holy Crap! That car was built by Timothy Cicora of the Reelers car club here in Southern California. I know the car very well, it's been a staple of local traditional - friendly rod events for the last couple of years. I can't believe that he sold it, let alone it's in Australia now!

That is a very nicely done car, enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is! Changing anything about it would ruin its character.

17. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

The engine in my coupe is similar to yours but will run off and leave you because I have a fully synchronized 3 speed with overdrive. I am gone while you are slowly shifting your gears.
    You will be able to run with ordinary traffic around town as long as THEY dont get excited. In other words a stock 4 cylinder impedes traffic but you wont. :)

Attached Files:

18. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

don't change a thing about that car.it's perfect.

19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have a full fendered 30 pickup with a warmed over banger, had a B in it with a stock cam, bored .060, counterbalanced crank, Winfield head, Ansen manifold with a Holley 94, Mallory dist. , header, lightened flywheel and a V8 trans. I was still running the 3.78 gears with 700 x 16 tires. Runs great, lots on power but still a 3000 rpm engine, 55 mph is about all I can cruise at for any distance, I knocked the rods out of the B twice and now have an inserted A from H&H. Bangers are great and a lot of fun, just don't expect it to run like a V8.

20. nickk

nickk

looks like a really cool ride, ive never driven a hop'd up banger but the stock one suprised me, for being atleast 80 yrs old they move pretty good, and thier super fun to drive

21. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks fellas for the positive comments. Can't wait to get my hands on the roadster, it's going to be a long 7-10 days.
    Dennis Lacy you are correct, it is Timothy Cicora's old roadster. He's a hell of a guy and was very cool to deal with. The 29's in good hands I don't plan on changing too much of anything. Just very curious about how the 4 pot mill is going to go.

There's a great little clip on youtube of a nasty sounding banger in an A coupe. If my roadster sounds and goes anything like that I'll be smiling from ear to ear. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsBrEf65VvE

Attached Files:

22. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

Nice roadster. It should go pretty good.
    Thats my coupe in the youtube video. Glad you like it.

23. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

What a cool roadster. I'm looking forward to a report when you get it on the road. My coupe has a much more mild "B" with 3.54 gears. I don't win many drag races, but it is a fun car to drive. I'm seriously jealous.

-Mitch

24. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Chris you've done it again mate!

Your roadster is a real tribute to a true early pre-war hot rodding.

Absolutely itching to get my ass over to Melbourne and cut some laps in this thing!

Congrats and enjoy Pentahos!

HC.

25. A BONED

A BONED

Hey 4bangertroy,
    I love that coupe of yours. My brother thought I was nuts for buying a banger powered Rod until I showed him that video clip. Now he's a true believer. Seriously, I must have watched that clip a couple of dozen times already. Very cool 30 coupe amigo!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  26. You should have gone for a ride in 'A racer's' speedster at chopped........it hauled ass, beat most cars out there.
    Get good at the gear shifts and you will like it.

27. morac41

morac41

Hi Chris...Had a warm Banger motor in my T trackster would run with any S/V V8...just dont over rev it and dont drive on long trips over 90Ks...be intresting to find out if its got a Oil pump job done on it..Once you drive it ..theres nothing in hot roding that gives you that hotrod feeling like this car will have lots of fun......Doug

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

They go just as fast as the long green stuff (or in your case pictures of the queen) will take ya

29. Great when doubled up on a 90 degree casting!

30. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Don't sweat it Chris. Appreciate it for what it is.... One cool machine that is a great tribute to the early years of Hot Rodding.

I'm sure she will have enough fire in the belly to put a smile on your face and leave others drooling with envy at the Lights.