Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone got pics of old dragstrips in s.c

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Nov 19, 2009.

1. edweird

edweird

I'm just curious to see pics or find out how many have gone away.

2. dmc3113

dmc3113

There was a NHRA track at Pelion back in the 50's and 60's. It was an old airport later used by drug smugglers. Blaney over in Elgin was also a NHRA track between Columbia and Camden. It is now a moblie home park. Spartanburg Dragway in the upper state. No new tracks can be opened in S'burg county. Ware Shoals and Greer are still running. First opened in the late fifties. I don't have any photos. If anyone has any pictures I would like to see them also.

3. edweird

edweird

I have fond memories of blaney dragstrip back in the mid 70's. I loved going with my dad to the dixie finals in oct. Thats where i found out how nitro smelled.

4. edweird

edweird

These are bad pics from the old walterboro dragstrip

Attached Files:

5. edweird

edweird

This is from the old drag strip in chester, s.c. I think this is where garlits got burned real bad.

Attached Files:

6. dmc3113

dmc3113

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

No photos ... BUT i raced at Walterboro a good bit in the late 60's/early 70's.

There was Ninety Six ( still running )
    Greer ... ( still running )
    Pelion ... ( now a small airstrip owned by the county )
    Graniteville ( closed )
    Myrtle Beach ( closed ... some young under age guy died ... racing :( )
    Darlington ... running ... just down the road from the NASCAR track
    Spartanburg ... ??? closed I think

Orangeburg ... still active and just had a ton of money spent on it :)
    Blaney ... the old NHRA track is closed but a new track is open ( 1/8 mile and mufflers required )

There is a small strip over near Paxsville SC ... but I have never been there for a race.

AHotRod likes this.
  8. frank spittle

frank spittle

Don't know how to post pictures but I have raced at Greer, Blaney, Darlington, Spartanburg, Pageland, Myrtle Beach, Orangeburg, and some more I can't think of. I tested for the first time a new T/F Kawasaki motorcycle at Spartanburg in 1979. I also competed in the very first race at Darlington in 1976. Greer was the last race track my '64 Dodge Chargers S/FX car driven by Jimmy Nix made exhibition runs at.

9. dmc3113

dmc3113

10. Here is a picture of Deuce Roadster and a friend taken at Orangeburg Drag Strip in the summer of 1975.

Deuce is in the dark blue shirt and Mrs. Deuce is sitting in the Chevrolet Cameo Carrier Pickup that he owned at the time.

[​IMG]

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I did not even know that a photo of the 1955 Cameo existed.
    I was married by then and had just about quit drag racing by 1975. I was too broke ... to go fast. The 1955 Cameo was just my daily driver. The MRS and I were just down there to watch ... :D

12. kiddcars

kiddcars

Is Walterboro strip still open or when did it close? Purchased an old relic (more show than race) that came with a couple trophies. The 1 with plaque still on says Walterboro Drag Strip on it.

13. At the Goodguys Charlotte last October, I met by chance , Ed Nesbit who was the flagman at the old Blaney strip...He may have some pics... PM me for contact info... He told me of buying a used Thunderbolt in 65-66 for $2500 !!!
    He and his buddy Dick Chambers were a hoot to talk to...

AHotRod likes this.
  14. : trying to get the name of a air force serviceman that in 1968 owned a 1957 Corvette white with red interior (very rare optioned - hartop only; fuel injection; HD racing brakes;radio vin#E57 S106320. He wrecked the front of the Corvette and in 1968 due to facr was going overseas shortly sold the Corvette in wrecked condition to a Kenneth E Middleton of North Charlestion S.C. (note: Kenny Middleton does not remember his name) . There is a strong possiblity the air force person may have drag raced the corvette or amateur road race it.
    the air force person was stationed at Charleston Air Force Base is a United States military facility located in the City of North Charleston, South Carolina. Which is still there. That is where they went to buy the wrecked Corvette and bring it home; kenny middleton he and his father repaired the front end wreckage and repainted the Corvette with the intention and actually using it for drag racing at WALTERBORO DRAG Strip in Walterboro S.C (see drag car pictuire) Any info even if just a guess
    please contact William Keogh NCRS member #1610 E mail: [email protected] Tel: 905-8712341

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.