Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy dash questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Donzie

Donzie

While looking at Kritz's new '53 Chevy I took some measurements on his dash. It appears to be the same width as my '49 Chevy. I'm seriously think of trading out my '49 for a '53. I like the more "modern, unsemetrical gauge look and chrome bars on the speaker grille and glovebox door. Is the '54 the same as the '53?
    Has anyone done this swap before? Are these dashes bolted in or welded?
    So, if one will go in without to much customizing I would be interested in buying one, complete with working gauges.

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

im not sure if its a direct swap into your 49 but GM dashes (exc early stuff) are spot welded in.

54 and 53 ones are the same except for very very minor differences. like the heat/cool controls, and depending on which model it is.

i got a 53 210 dash you can have. its not perfect and someone recently stole the gauges out of it.

3. Donzie

Donzie

Seymour, the price sounds right. I could always put aftermarket gauges in it I suppose and I would want to paint it anyway. I'll get back to you if I can make it work. Thanks for the offer.

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

no prob. i still gotta cut it out anyway. [​IMG]

5. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i have some extra gauges. let me know if your interested. i'll email you some pics.

cause of your topic here i felt i would go ahead and post pics of my dash swap on my 54 chevy.

6. Donzie

Donzie

Thanks guys.
    I'd still like to hear if someone has made this swap before.
    Is there something better? I'm open to opinions.

7. Slide

Slide

Yep, them dashes are welded in. They are part of the structure of the car, so be careful that things don't move around on you while you have the dash out. Might want to put some temp. bracing in to avoid such things.

And I'll hafta agree with ya, Donzie, that later dash WOULD look right on in that Fleetline!!!

8. Donzie

Donzie

I'm surprised I didn't get more input than this.

9. Donzie

Donzie

Apparently no one has done this swap before (that would be a first, huh?) So what other dashes have been put into '49-52 Chevys?